Suzuki Central Forum banner

04 ltz 400 cranking but not starting :/

19K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  spize909 
#1 · (Edited)
So ive replaced the coil, sparkplugs, and wire, and battery and checked the valve timing.... And it's still not running. I know it's not the voltage recitifer I tested it and it cleared, I know it's not the VR wireing harness. Any more ideas? It was running fine about a week ago. But even then I had to crank it with jumper cables every time. Not it will turn over but it won't start any help would be appreciated. Especially ideas I can try before I take it to a shop or buy more parts

#2 ·
Is it cranking slow? You can bench test the starter. Does it pull start?

#3 ·
Fuel,air, spark,compression. Verify all that first. And try to pull start it like Jet suggests, with a clean dry spark plug.

Reactions: brapp1988
#4 ·
Have you tried starting fluid. Could also be the cdi box. There is no real way to check them, besides using a differnt one.

#5 ·
try your stator, my 03 had the same issue replaced the stator and like new.

#9 ·
So after several frustrating. Hours on the phone I believe the valve spacing is to blame. So I ordered a valve shim kit for 95$ from suzuki I'm going to,the shimming the valves to see if that is the issue. If it is I will let everyone know. I just don't see how it can run for a few minutes if it's pull started but it wont crank and run on electric start
Anyone know how to,tell what shim to use? What the specs for the feeler gauge is supposed to be and how to tell which ones are out of tolerance?

#10 · (Edited)
You'll probably need a manual. The torques in the valve caps and valve cover are terribly sensitive. Over torquing often results in needing a new head. I believe the caps are 7 ft/lbs and the valve cover is 10 ft/lbs.
With that being said, you can measure them now and find out if you need those shims. Put the engine at TDC and see what size feeler gauge will fit between the cam lobes and buckets underneath. Sounds like you might be at zero, meaning no gap. Once the valves heat up and stretch, they no longer seat and you loose compression. The search feature in the tools section will help tremendously. Searching valve shimming or valve adjustment should get you the factory specs, as well as important stuff like not mixing up the bolts.
Searching valve shim calculator leads you to a tool that you enter your current clearance and shim sizes, and it'll spit out what sims you need to get within spec.

#11 ·
Get a manual, and be super careful not to drop anything down in the motor. If you have to take the cam caps off, there are little locating pins/tubes that will try to ruin your week ..Stuff rags every where you can.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Go to the search box up in the right corner and hit advanced search and put in what you are looking for.
I believe there is a valve shim calculator link in the link I posted and there was just a thread on the stripped bolt hole a couple weeks ago....
BTW,the chart is in the manual.

Did the "Polaris Pro" strip that bolt hole? If so they should know how to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.