cams vs. big bore kit - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Default cams vs. big bore kit

which one will give you the most power gains?
both hot cams or say a 435 kit?
04_teamsuzukiz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::LT500 Rider:::

a 435 kit with both hotcams.

Everything else:ITP Holeshot HDs all the way around on ITP T-9s 22F/20R-Burgard +2 A-Arms-Fly fat bars-Cycra handguards
Trail Tech fat bar clamps/light plate w/Z400 logo-UM pro peg nerfs-G-force axle-Easy pull clutch lever
Motosport front bumper-PRM 6pack rack grab bar-Pro Armor skids front to back-OMF shrouds
YFZ450 front calipers-YFZ450 brake reservoir-Red Stainless braided lines W/Billet Clamps
Stream Line wave rotors/front-Rear caliper block off plate-PEP steering stabilizer
Billet aluminum Team Yoshimura starter cover-Billet aluminum case saver-Dr.D reverse switch
Tusk billet gas cap

On the to do list:Extra lighting-Dual piston rear caliper-Dyna CDI-And what ever else i find out about in the future.
jhamilton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you had to do one or the other what would it be?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

well, if you look in my sig, i have pretty much all of the supporting mods to do a big bore kit later on when i need a top end re-build. i just want to get my moneys worth out of the motor before i go and put in a new piston and cylinder. im happy with the power i have now though. not that i dont want more power. you just wont get the full effect of a big bore without the supporting mods.

Everything else:ITP Holeshot HDs all the way around on ITP T-9s 22F/20R-Burgard +2 A-Arms-Fly fat bars-Cycra handguards
Trail Tech fat bar clamps/light plate w/Z400 logo-UM pro peg nerfs-G-force axle-Easy pull clutch lever
Motosport front bumper-PRM 6pack rack grab bar-Pro Armor skids front to back-OMF shrouds
YFZ450 front calipers-YFZ450 brake reservoir-Red Stainless braided lines W/Billet Clamps
Stream Line wave rotors/front-Rear caliper block off plate-PEP steering stabilizer
Billet aluminum Team Yoshimura starter cover-Billet aluminum case saver-Dr.D reverse switch
Tusk billet gas cap

On the to do list:Extra lighting-Dual piston rear caliper-Dyna CDI-And what ever else i find out about in the future.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

i often why people are going with the 435 , why not the 440 or even a 450 bore ,we all know your going to want more and more power .
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,nerf bars,450r shocks, nerf bars,+4 swinger,lowered front & rear
cataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

im not partial to the 435. personally, id do the 440 or 450 but i was just saying in my opinion id get all the supporting mods like i did first and then get a big bore. thats just my logic.

Tusk billet gas cap

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

Send a message via MSN to chinoduca

I would prepare the engine first to be able to support the big bore and get the most out of it.

'03 White Z400 - SOLD

I SuzukiCentral!
chinoduca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Search Police Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
i often why people are going with the 435 , why not the 440 or even a 450 bore ,we all know your going to want more and more power .
I'd say the main reason would have to be the affordability. Some very good deals on the 434 kits vs. the others.

As for the mods....per another ongoing thread, do your suspension first.
I did mine (and not even very well) after I did everythng else. We do alot of racing up the big dunes at Glamis and most have a pretty good whoop section at the bottom. I could go like hell once I hit the hill but my buddy would already have 3 bike lengths on me cuz of his suspension.
At the end of the day you won't be any faster through most of the stuff you ride unless you upgrade your suspension to handle it.

You don't say if you have any mods already (pipe, filter, cdi, etc). There are other things you will need/want to do before cams or bbk anyway.

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM
http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/...tm-winner.html

2004 Z-400 Wife's (SOLD)

1996 Sandsprite IV (sandrail) MINE

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
spize909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

i have a yoshi slip on, intake, and a rev box on it right now, reason why i was asking is my engine started to develope a little tap so while i take it apart to inspect i was going to throw a set of hot cams into it and i was just curious which one was the best.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

spize909 i totally agree with on the suspension that is my main focus but luckily for me i have to get into the motor so i figured i should just go ahead and throw some cams in it. how do you feel on running stock LTR shocks with triple rate springs?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
:::KFX 400 Rider:::

I put a 434 kit in mine and I really cant tell the difference but i got a hell of a deal on it thinking it would help me more than it did. And i have velocity intake, hotcams, full hmf, big gun rev. But i do have a 39mm fcr on the way that i hope with help out
betterton_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterton_49 View Post
I put a 434 kit in mine and I really cant tell the difference but i got a hell of a deal on it thinking it would help me more than it did. And i have velocity intake, hotcams, full hmf, big gun rev. But i do have a 39mm fcr on the way that i hope with help out
in your case the hot cams are most likely holding you back
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,nerf bars,450r shocks, nerf bars,+4 swinger,lowered front & rear
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
:::KFX 400 Rider:::

What cams should i be lookin into? The only place i have found big cams is cycleworksracing.net Any help would be great i have tried to look up some of the cams i see people have in their quads but can't find them.
betterton_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

you dont have to go with a big radical cam to get big power and your going to find there are more options than you may have even contemplated .
my self i went with RHC #187 which is a web cam , the lift is not really high but it does have a big duration, power increase over hotcams was huge
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Personaly i agree with hamilton. Think if your just putting a big bore in a z400 or kfx. your going to need a carb air filter and supportes just for the BIG BORE. Im going to build till theres nothing else to do then put a big bore. if ur just throwing one in for quick power your going to be in all sorts of issues.
wildcatmxrider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement