Suzuki Central Forum banner

Rear link comparisons

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jmasisi 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this topic has ever been brought to life on this forum or not so I am going see what happens. This year, I am once again upgrading my rear suspension and as I do, I wanted to compare 3 different aftermarket rear link for the LTZ400. Here is what I discovered:

Stock 09 link:
-overall length 4-15/16''
-eye to eye 3-3/8''

GT Thunder link:
-overall length 5''
-eye to eye 3-5/8''

Elka link
-overall length 5-7/16
-eye to eye 3-7/8

From the picture as you can see, the Elka link is longest overall and has the longest eye-to-eye distance as well. I'm assuming with this longer link, this means that it will help lower suspension as well as giving it more travel as well. I'm not a suspension guru but figured this was information worth sharing.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: amcf18
#2 ·
If you wanna sell the elka or GT thunder link let me get first dibs lol

#3 ·
hmm, I got a PEP link on mine...I'll measure it tomorrow if I can get to it and add it to this thread.

#4 ·
That would be great!

#5 ·
I only have the dimensions copied in millimeters between bolt hole centers. I've seen 92-95mm listed for Gt Thunder, so they might have made more than one depending on mx or xc. My Elka and Hygear were both 100mm, but the Hygear is built much heavier than Elka and Elka doesn't make them anymore.

I believe the longer the link is, the more it helps smooth the harshness as the shock compresses, since you get slightly more swingarm travel per inch of shock shaft travel. That adds up to less coils engaged and trying to extend the shock back out as you compress the swingarm. Even if you run a softer spring with the stock link you can go compress the rear from the grab bar and feel it hit "the wall" as you get near the last 1/3rd of travel. That is the harshness you feel when you hit a rock, roots, or deep ruts. There's just too much spring pressure trying to force the shock back out and if you slow down the rebound to compesate for the hard hits, it ends up being too slow everywhere else.

I have some chunks of aluminum on the shelf and I'm thinking of making a 95mm link purely for the ground clearance difference. I love the way the shock works with the 100mm, but even trying to be careful, I beat the snot out of it racing far more than stock length.

To give you guys some spring numbers to compare, here's the pound per inch rating of a few that I know offhand.
Honda 450r rear is around 340-350lb.
Honda 400ex is 325lb.
My Elka rear used a 250 or 300lb
Stock on the Z400 is something nuts like a 580lb spring. I'm pretty sure I could buy all the cheap Z rear springs and resell them as lowering/softing kits for rangers or s10 pickups and no one would know. I have no idea what Suzuki was thinking on the rear when they spec'd it out, but you can see why pretty much no one under 220lbs is happy with it.

Strangely enough my Ars-Fx long travel swingarm looks like the smaller part of the link is stock length and the front half is longer. The mounting holes on the swingarm are also moved towards the back. That link tucks up very high and I've never hit it while riding. I got it used real cheap, but if money is no object, their LT swingarm and 5.3 linkage with Exit shock is unbelievable. 4th and 5th gear tapped over nasty whoops on a railroad bed and it just floats across the top.

Reactions: amcf18
#6 ·
This interesting because when I had my rear re-valved by GT Thunder, they used a 325lb spring on mine. Mine was valved for 180lb MX rider.

#7 ·
I was not happy with my GT setup. I got all my shocks revalved and resprung by GT thunder. I am 230 lbs my intention was to start doing some MX, but fronts and rear were 225 lbs/in. Super plush but would bottom out so easy at small stuff. I already had to replace rear bearings, they got crushed.

I have put back the stock rear shock keeping the GT rear link in, but still the problem is the height in the back. Would look for a longer rear link.

I gave up on cheaper (but expensive in the long run) options, and I bought a pair of Fox Floats rc2. I hope with these I will start jumping with confidence....

I just don't get it, why the shocks low rating in my setup If I gave them my weight and riding preference....

Anyways, I have a full GT setup in good condition for sale....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.