Rear Axle Bearings - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

I noticed today when I get on the quad, the rear axle area I can hear a clunk noise. So I jack the rear end up and place on stands. I can put my foot under one of the rear tires and move the axle up and down about 1/2"...I know this can't be good. Any ideas? Standard swingarm and a rocky mountain adjustable axle. I tightened the axle nut to the point where I can't turn anymore, did not make a difference...

Seems that the most play is on the right hand side and not the chain side. Im assuming because of less tension on this side versus the drive chain side?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 KFX 400, Laeger +2 arms, Elka triple rate Sport/Race series, DMP graphics kit, seat cover and shock covers, Pro-Taper bars, tether kill, Renthal grips, DG front bumper, DG skid plates, Rocky extended axle, Pro Circuit SS header, LEXX silencer, jetted, K&N, Tusk nerfs, Razr's front and rear, DG rear grab bar, custom gauge plate, Carboncover plates
Blownchevelle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

Send a message via AIM to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 Send a message via MSN to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 Send a message via Yahoo to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

I would say it's your bearings for sure. Have you ever had them replaced? If not, they are probably on there way out especially if your bike is an 04. Take it all apart, inspect and replace. I believe I used a set of Alls Balls from Rocky Mountain. Also make sure the bearing spacer is in good condition.

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber
Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Green Z455

And do it sooner rather than later
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

No I have never had them replaced. Guess this is my next project. I should have been doing this over the winter !! Thanks for the replys...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 KFX 400, Laeger +2 arms, Elka triple rate Sport/Race series, DMP graphics kit, seat cover and shock covers, Pro-Taper bars, tether kill, Renthal grips, DG front bumper, DG skid plates, Rocky extended axle, Pro Circuit SS header, LEXX silencer, jetted, K&N, Tusk nerfs, Razr's front and rear, DG rear grab bar, custom gauge plate, Carboncover plates
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Send a message via AIM to johnsoninc86

no, do it right away. take the left wheel and hub off. spin off the axle nuts, take off your chain and rear sprocket and sprocket hub. take the brake caliper off and slide the axle out of the brake side. pull out your carrier, remove bearings with a large hammer and punch. reverse all that for install. it takes me about an hour usually.
Bill Ballance full system, DRZe kit, Kibblewhites, Wiseco piston, FLEXX bars, Hipers, Razr2/Razr combo, GTT 450r fronts/ rear rebuild, Clarke 4.0g tank, DID 3/4 cam chain, PEP stabilizer, Acerbis Rally II's, Maier vent hood, Oury grips, AC standard nerfs, armadillo swinger/chassis skid, tusk tether kill, 03 Sub modded for ProArmor Grab bar, PRM baja bumper, LSR PB block off, Moose perch, Barnett Dirt Digger clutch, RK Chains X-ring, 13t front sprocket, Factory Effex seat cover and graphics, more to come.....

"I am being chased through the woods by a bunch of nutcases out to steal my $2 trophy that I paid $40+ to TRY to take home with me!"

IXCR B-Class
Lincoln Trail Motosports A-Class
Big thanks to my '08 sponsors- GT Thunder, Scott, Harley Davidson of Bloomington, Joe Stines, the parents and the girlfriend
johnsoninc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Send a message via MSN to camaro1976

put the bearings in the freezer, and the carrier in the oven and it really speeds it up though

camaro1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (Camaro1976 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:25 PM)
Quote:
put the bearings in the freezer, and the carrier in the oven and it really speeds it up though[/b]

Ok will give that a shot...Was talking to a buddy the other day and he did'nt remove the carrier to put his in. Im assuming the carrier is held in by the 4 bolts on the back of the swingarm and the center chain adjust bolt on swingarm?

How long in the oven...? 20 mins at 350 degs or to a golden brown.....

Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Joshz400_03

Dont listen to him hes nuts hahaha.. no just messin, All I did was put my bearings in the freezer.. didnt take my carrier out and they popped right in... I think all I did was tap them with a rubber mallot and they slid right in so thats all your going to have to do..this is a very easy thing to do wont take too long
Joshz400_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

Send a message via AIM to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 Send a message via MSN to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 Send a message via Yahoo to Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

Yeah I took it all apart and had it back together within an hour.

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber
Team Alba Z400 Rider 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

lol at josh and chevelle.

when i did my linkage bearings i think i kept them in the freezer for about an hour and in the oven for about 5 minutes. it made it really easy all i did was press them in with a bench vise, and once there in halfway i used the right size socket that fit on the outer race to fully seat them in.
after doing about 5 of the bearings the link started cooling off so it was about perfect timing.
oh and yeah i had it at 350

edit again- now that i think of it when i had my stock swingarm and changed the bearings i didn't heat or freeze anything. and it was a little bit of a pita but not bad and i think i got the old ones out and new ones in in probly 45 min. so the freezer should probly be good enough.

i'd take the carrier out though so you can check for cracks and make sure the holes arent womped out

Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Talked with a buddy tonight who did his about 3 weeks ago. He said the bearings on one side fell out when he took them out, but did not damage the carrier. We got to talking about it and think were gonna try and drill/tap for a zerk fitting on the rear swingarm housing somewhere so we can keep them full of grease, if it will work. Have not looked at the new bearings yet, might be sealed which would do no good.

We occasionally get into some deep water and mud and this might help..Gonna search on the forum here and see what I can find. Will work on the bearings tomorrow and let you know what happens..Thanks again for the help..Jason

Edit: looked around on the forum and have not found anything about drilling for a zerk fitting on the swinger...Im thinking they are sealed and would not do any good??

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

if you buy stock replacement bearings it will help because they are only sealed from the outside, the inside isn't. i don't know if it would be good though because you wouldn't want grease to w00ter out of the seal on the axle or it seems like it would let in water after that.

if you buy a set of all balls or similar, they are sealed on both sides so it wouldn't be necessary

Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Got the bearings out a little while ago. Problem now is the spacer that runs on the inside of the carrier housing, between the 2 bearings has about 1/4" of play in it. Seems very loose inside the carrier housing and I think that is where the play is coming from. It has a Rocky Mountain adjustable axle. This sleeve fits the axle fine, but seems like the outside diameter is too small for the stock carrier housing.

I called a local Kawi shop and they said there should not be any play in it. Also called Rocky mountain and they are checking measurements for me and should call me back. I'll look around on the board and see if anyone else has this problem. Im thinking the person before me who put this axle in may have put the wrong sleeve (spacer) inside the carrier...

Edit: Got the bearings installed this afternoon. Reason for the spacer inside the carrier moving around is because one of the bearings was pushed away from the center of the carrier (away from the retention ring) and that caused some play. New bearings in and hardly any play now in the spacer. Thanks for all the help on my latest projects everyone. You don't know how much I appreciate it !!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement