Suzuki Central Forum banner

Z400 clutch problem

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  advantagecycle 
#1 ·
What's up guys. I've tried doing some research on this and I have not been successful.. so I got this z400 that won't start. I changed the timing chain and the chain adjuster. I also adjusted the valves. My clutch basket was broken as well. I changed went shopping on eBay and got a 2004 clutch basket. The bike is a 2005 and the guy told me it would fit my year. So I installed it. It looks identical. Fits good. So yesterday I went to start it and it all went well until I put it in first gear and it wouldn't go in. (The bike is on) so I'm already thinking "the clutch" I drain the oil I remove the right case to see what's going on. So I pull the clutch lever on the handle bar to engage the clutch and the rod is pushing the pressure plate out perfectly fine. But it's not engaging. I took it apart to see if there's anything wrong. And nothing it has 9 fibers and they all fit perfect not too in not too out. So I put it together again. I go start it and i managed to get it into first gear I let off the clutch and it doesn't move. For sure I'm having clutch problems but I wanted some ideas maybe before I took anything apart? Thank you for your time!

#2 ·
04 has 1 less fibre plate than 05, so if you put the same amount of plates from a 05 into a 04 basket there won't won't be enough room for the plates to disengage this enabling the gear change.

#3 ·
yes the 2004 clutch basket will fit but you will need to replace the whole clutch not just the basket

#4 ·
I saw that the basket is the same but the hub inside that spins is smaller. But I put the 05 hub. And the 05 clutch. So if the basket is the same thing but the hub and the pressure plate change it's fine because I put both the hub and the pressure plate 05. So technically it's all 05. Just the basket is 04 but it's the same. Would you guys recommend me to put the 04 pressure plate with the 04 hub inside and just buy and 04 clutch?

#5 ·
Google "Ron Ayers microfiche" and compare clutch basket part numbers for each of the years. If they really are the same, then maybe the pushrod is a different length. If they aren't the same, there's your answer. I'd go all 04 or all 05 without mixing it up.

#8 ·
I checked they are different

#7 ·
now I'm wondering what I did with the 04 clutch parts when I changed to 05 clutch parts

#9 ·
Something else to watch is torque on the inner basket nut. I've seen them come in for shifting problems only to find the nut was way over torqued which makes the clutch "drag" so to speak, and the end result is very notchy shifting, if they shift at all. You would notice the problem go away as soon as you killed the engine.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.