Suzuki Central Forum banner

Oh another knocking noise, who knew.

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  PigglyWiggly 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so still having that knocking noise from a month ago or so. Got a stethoscope for it. And pin pointed it is coming from the exhaust valve side of the cams. Could a bad valve spring be causing it? Are stage 2 hotcams just noisy? And also, on side note, do these bikes have the little curved metal spacer thing that goes over the cam covers? Thanks a ton!

#2 ·
Not aware of anything on top of the cam caps except the chain guide on the inboard bolts on the right side next to the gears. Are you sure the bolts didn't get mixed up, replaced, or have thread-locker on them? If so, it'll block the oil passage to the exhaust cam and do some damage.
The exhaust cam bolt that holds down the chain guide has a shank that is thinner than the threads and goes through the oil passage. The oil flows around the bolt. If a normal bolt or different length bolt is put in there= no oil. I'd pull the cam caps on the exhaust cam and look for wear on the journal, just to be sure.
Other than what I've mentioned and valve clearance not within spec, you'll just have to open it up and see.

#3 ·
I was going to say it was the decomp on the exhaust cam........but since you got Hot Cams I guess that isn't the case.

#4 ·
So I took the cover off today again and the journals look nice and shiny. The cams though at top dead center were upside down? And my valve chain tensioner (I have the stock automatic one) was fully clicked out. Could my cam chain have missed a time due to being too loose and that caused my cams to flip? Do I need to get a new chain or can I get a manual tensioner and make this one work? Also, when I ride it (test ride) it starts right up, but when going from first, holding down clutch to go to neutral, it dies, every time. What could that be?

#5 ·
If you rotate the engine 1 more time to TDC, your cams will probably be in the right place. It wouldnt run if there were very far out. If the chain is that slack I would replace it. You took the spring out of the tensioner first, before checking, right?
The clutch thing sounds like a wiring issue to me, maybe in the harness or clutch safety switch, or the the gear indicator switch, down by the front sprocket.

Reactions: jetmech25
#6 ·
As he said, with the piston at TDC, you could be between the compression-power stroke or between the exhaust-intake stroke (4stroke sequence). The cam position determines which stroke it is. If they look upside down, go another turn on the crank and it should be right.

If you pulled the center bolt on the tensioner first (released the spring), then removed the tensioner and had no clicks left, it's time for a new timing chain. Manual tensioner are a headache IMO since they need constant adjustment and usually wear out the chain faster. If ignored, then boom, new motor required.

If the chain is that stretched out, it could cause some dying when you let off the gas due to the timing being so retarded (and some valve noise). I doubt it's a safety switch or it would have trouble starting. They usually either work or they don't, not cut out at a specific time.

I'd get a new chain first, then address the dying issue. My first answers to any question like that is clean the carb and adjust valves.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Yeah that will help a ton, it seems like the only hard part is getting that crank nutt back on at the end. Other than that, seems easy. I called my local shop to see what they would charge to ONLY install the parts that I bring them, and they quoted me 468$. Crazy.

#11 ·
To break the primary nut free, just stick a blunted end screwdriver in between the primary and the counterbalance gears and rotate til its snug and flush against the teeth. Stick it down through the top of the cam chain opening. If you try to come in from the side, you risk breaking teeth off your gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.