Suzuki Central Forum banner

in neutral and i release clutch and ltz 400 dies

4K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  cataway 
#1 ·
in neutral and i release clutch and ltz 400 dies! wtf? please help

#2 ·
ltz 400 clutch

Help! i pulled the clutch plate after i installed new cam chain. why does it only start when i have clutch pulled, and die when i release it. even when i am in neutral
and how many of each plates r there really supposed to be? and how do i identify plate #3?

#3 ·
well you could count all the parts you took out , that should get you some idea . 03-04 is different then 05 up. it wont hurt anything to replace the narrow fiber plate with a wider one and ditch gutter rings

#7 ·
best guess .................you put it back together wrong:|

#6 ·
what year ? 03-04 ?

#11 ·

#14 ·
in post 4 you said locked as in locked up not turning. does it only happen when in gear ?

#13 ·
see #6......replace it with a #5 (if you want to) . you might not have gutter springs/rings

#15 ·
put a number 5 where 6 goes? ok where do i put number 6? what I mean by locked up is when I release the clutch it seems as if it tries to go, but it dont move.and so i stop because I don't want to break anything.the same thing when I'm in neutral but in neutral I am willing to let go of the clutch and at that time it seems to have a load in and then when I fully release the clutch it dies

#19 ·
#6, ditch it if you have another # 5 to replace it with .

yep sounds like you did not get something right . there may be a how to video here or on you tube

#20 ·
# 13 and #14

#22 ·
So it's idling fine in neutral with the clutch lever held in and dies when released? Maybe your wires for the clutch safety switch or whatever it's called are messed up somehow? You should have two wires going to the clutch lever/perch. I'd start by looking at that.
You can cut and tie them together and you won't have to have the clutch in to start.

#23 ·
he double posted . it works now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.