Problem With My Z400 - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Hello.
Im am from Germany, so my english isnt very well.

I have A Problem with my z400 built 2004

Wenn i turn the engine on it runs quiet good.

But when i turn the Throttle it have ignition misfire.

From the Exhaust there came not good noise.

The Cable were all dry. The Connectors are Dry to.

Maybe Theres a Carburator problem. Can someone Help me?

The light for the Backward driving isnt flashing. So it canīt be the Problem with the limiter.

Greetings Frank
ltz400.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

I'd say hello in German, but I have no idea how. Is it Guden tagen? Anyway, welcome Frank. You've come to the right place for your Z. I think more information is needed to understand your problems.

What year is it?
Any mods done to it: intake, exhaust, carburetor or motor?
At what elevation are you riding?
Do you have the Suzuki manual?

Post the answers and then it should be easier to try and figure out why it sounds like it's bogging off idle.

04 Z400
-FMF Powercore 4 slip-on, K&N filter & OuterWear, no air box lid
-DJ needle 3rd clip & 150 main jet, pilot screw 3.5
-Pro Armor nerfs & belly skid, AC Racing swingarm skid
-IMS 3.9 Dez tank, Motion Pro 1/4 turn twist
-Clutch & neutral switch bypassed, Suzi Big front bumper
-Bitech Machine MCCT
-ITP Sandstars

00 400EX (wife's)
-HMF slip-on, Uni-air filter, no air box lid, 170 Keihin main jet
-DG nerfs & belly skid, Thumb throttle extender

03 Raptor 80 (daughter's)
-FMF Powercore exhaust
LotsaQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

its 2004 Model

Its all Stock nothing changed yet.

Its around 5 Degrees of Temperature here now.
So i think its not too Cold

And yes i have the Englisch suzuki Manual.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, all stock '04.

The first things to do are the easiest.

-Check the air filter and make sure it's clean. If you're not sure, clean it.
-Is the gas old, or has the machine been stored without being run for a long time? If so, drain the old fuel and put some fresh stuff in the tank.
-Remove and inspect the spark plug and gap. If it's worn, get a new one, gap it and reinstall everything.
-While you've got the tank & plastics off, clean the carburetor. Remove it, disassemble it, and inspect the float, jets, slide movement and orifices. Use carb cleaner make sure nothing's gummed up, dirty or clogged anywhere. This is where the manual is needed. Reinstall and see how it runs.

Does the machine have many hours on it? Are there rattling noises in the cylinder head? If so, the cam chain might be stretched so much that the ignition timing is being affected. This is highly unlikely, but it does happen.

This should be a good start along with using the troubleshooting information in the manual. Probably other members will have some advice for you as well. Keep checking back.

Good luck.

EDIT: How about the choke, is it adjusted and working properly?

04 Z400
-Bitech Machine MCCT
-ITP Sandstars

00 400EX (wife's)

-FMF Powercore exhaust
Old 02-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok The Airfilter is Clean and New

Gas is New ( I ride it every day)

Spark plug looks good. But i will buy a new one on Monday!!!!

I Cleaned The Carburetor today. Itīs All clean!!!!

My z400 has only 4000 Km on it. I think its about 3000 Miles.

No rattling noises in the Cylinder Head.

Choke is working Properly.

I dont know what it can be.
Today i checked the Ignition with a Multi Meter tester.
The Results were like in the Manual. So the electric seems to be good.

If i dont get it to run good tomorrow i will reasamble it and bring it to my dealer so he can fix the Problem.

Thanks for your Help so far. Frank
Old 02-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could be that the CDI is going bad and it's not getting enough spark. Or it could be running too rich, but it's all stock. What did the plug look like when you pulled it out? White, tan, brown or black? I think I'm out of suggestions.

Good luck & I hope you finally get it figured out.

04 Z400
-Bitech Machine MCCT
-ITP Sandstars

00 400EX (wife's)

-FMF Powercore exhaust
Old 02-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
:::Z-250 Rider:::

Send a message via AIM to NadsZ400

It could be that since its 5 degrees there you are running lean so you would need to install a larger main jet. As the temp gets colder you have to change your main jet to a larger one (more fuel) to keep your air/fuel ratio correct. If it runs good with the choke partially on or all the way on then that would be the problem.
Hope you figure it out.

05 Honda 450R
ATVCCS Open A #133

05 Sponsors:
G & S Suzuki of Wichita Falls, TX
Powermadd Handguards
Hinson Racing
Axe Racing
NadsZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

When he means its 5 degrees, i think he means in celcius. We use the fahrenheit standard here. so that is around 40 degrees in Germany. Anyways, what it sounds like to me is that your exhaust valves are out of adjustment and need to be re shimmed. Its a fairly simple process to check your valves. try this and if thats not it then i am out of answers.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE. THE POSITIVE CABLE FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID TO THE BATTERY HAS A SHORT IN IT THATS WHY YOUR REVERSE LIGHTS AREN'T LIGHTING UP AND WHEN YOU REV THE ENGINE IT MISFIRES UNDER LOAD DUE TO THE INTURRUPTED ELECTRICAL FLOW. GET A NEW POSITIVE CABLE AND THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY
REGUARDS,
ED
NYZ400DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default misfire in z400

hey guys i'm new to forums so please bear with me. i have came to this forum many times for quick reference and ideas for easier methods until today i arrive with a problem. i have an 03 z400 with 15mm jetting a yoshi slip on and k&n air filter with outerwear, lid was hole sawed for increased airflow. other then that bike is pretty well stock. i ride it all the time and it never sits with the same fuel in the tank for any amount of time. i don't beat it but i ride it hard and carry my rpm's high before shifting. so that's the back story here's the problem.

i've noticed a slight studder almost like a hiccup when quickly applying fuel in low rpm (mostly on set up for wheelies) over the last month. i thought maybe my plug was getting bad so i figured i'd change it soon . i went riding with a buddy in no different conditions then i normally would and the bike worked terrific as always lots of jam and no real missing what so ever. i came home and it sat for maybe a day before i rode it again. i rode approximately a mile thru my trails not any harder then i normally would but like i said before alot of high revs and it was mostly 1st and 2nd gear riding. as i came into the last turn i came on to the throttle hard and recieved nothing but misfiring and backfiring (into air box not out pipe). quickly unscrewed fuel cap with bike running and seen half tank. limped bike back to the house but acted up terribly the whole way i shut it down numerous times just to avoid further damage. it's like it is overloading on fuel blowing black (fuel) smoke. blacking the plug aswell. changed spark plug with no real improvement. completely cleaned carb jetts etc. cables all free moving and none sticking. needle clips seem to be in place and all works fine including vaccum related areas. found little dirt but no water in bowl. and no water in tank so far. motor temperature of bike doesn't affect misfire. will almost idle and has smooth running till roughly 2 to 3 rpm (no tac) after that the more throttle you apply the worse it runs till finally it won't idle up any higher due to severe misfire and still rolling black smoke. unhooked all fuel source and ran bike out of fuel. as it burnt up what it had left it cleaned up and began to run better into higher rpm till it starved.

sooooo here's my thoughts. possibly still a carb issue somewhere inside that i overlooked. some say possible timing jump or burnt exhaust valves but i don't think so. i thought coil at first but normally they would be heat sensitive for failure and due to the smooth run on low fuel it kind of eliminates an electrical problem. bike seems to have great compression but don't have an adapter small enough for my tester.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point i'm running out of things to trouble shoot.

Thank you, Joe
ltzJoe400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltzJoe400 View Post
hey guys i'm new to forums so please bear with me. i have came to this forum many times for quick reference and ideas for easier methods until today i arrive with a problem. i have an 03 z400 with 15mm jetting a yoshi slip on and k&n air filter with outerwear, lid was hole sawed for increased airflow. other then that bike is pretty well stock. i ride it all the time and it never sits with the same fuel in the tank for any amount of time. i don't beat it but i ride it hard and carry my rpm's high before shifting. so that's the back story here's the problem.

i've noticed a slight studder almost like a hiccup when quickly applying fuel in low rpm (mostly on set up for wheelies) over the last month. i thought maybe my plug was getting bad so i figured i'd change it soon . i went riding with a buddy in no different conditions then i normally would and the bike worked terrific as always lots of jam and no real missing what so ever. i came home and it sat for maybe a day before i rode it again. i rode approximately a mile thru my trails not any harder then i normally would but like i said before alot of high revs and it was mostly 1st and 2nd gear riding. as i came into the last turn i came on to the throttle hard and recieved nothing but misfiring and backfiring (into air box not out pipe). quickly unscrewed fuel cap with bike running and seen half tank. limped bike back to the house but acted up terribly the whole way i shut it down numerous times just to avoid further damage. it's like it is overloading on fuel blowing black (fuel) smoke. blacking the plug aswell. changed spark plug with no real improvement. completely cleaned carb jetts etc. cables all free moving and none sticking. needle clips seem to be in place and all works fine including vaccum related areas. found little dirt but no water in bowl. and no water in tank so far. motor temperature of bike doesn't affect misfire. will almost idle and has smooth running till roughly 2 to 3 rpm (no tac) after that the more throttle you apply the worse it runs till finally it won't idle up any higher due to severe misfire and still rolling black smoke. unhooked all fuel source and ran bike out of fuel. as it burnt up what it had left it cleaned up and began to run better into higher rpm till it starved.

sooooo here's my thoughts. possibly still a carb issue somewhere inside that i overlooked. some say possible timing jump or burnt exhaust valves but i don't think so. i thought coil at first but normally they would be heat sensitive for failure and due to the smooth run on low fuel it kind of eliminates an electrical problem. bike seems to have great compression but don't have an adapter small enough for my tester.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point i'm running out of things to trouble shoot.

Thank you, Joe
A buddy and i have picked each others brains all day. I started having problems a few ride to go with a hesitation when I was throttling yesterday when I was riding I had the same problem but it eventually completely shut off on me and would not start so its at all night and finally started this morning so I proceeded to check all of my electrical connections cleaned it and put electrode grease on them and still have the same problem so I checked to see if I have fire I have good spark to my spark plug so I took the carburetor off and removed all the Jets clean them with a tip cleaner blew them out with an air tool and all of the office is inside the carburetor everything is good and clean put it back on the quad and still has the same problem I can get it started and running when I put it on prime it runs okay but it runs super rich when its on regular fuel it has it takes like its running out of fuel nothing else was messed I have been an auto mechanic for all over 13 years with about 4 years of small engine mechanics I've done everything that I can possibly think of to figure out what is wrong I'm stumped could somebody please help............
bottlefed215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
:::LT500 Rider:::

Sorry bud not trying to be mean but you have to start using periods. I couldn't even read the whole thing. That's one long sentence.
CUINMUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement