Oil Seal Leaking Problem - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

I put a message up here a while ago on this but still havent fixed the problem.
The seal in behind the front sprocket is leaking. I have put 3 seals in there so far. I made sure the area was clean. I have checked the shaft for damage and movement and all is good. But the oil will not quit pouring out of these seals I put in. It comes running out between the seal and the shaft and it pours.

I am tired of buying seals so if someone has an idea of whats going on please let me know. My buddy said the crankcase vent could be clogged so I am about to go check that but other than that I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

K&N filter with adaptor
Yoshimura rs3 full exhaust
Kibblewhite valves
drze kit
trailtech bars
ac blackline nerf bars
ac blackline front bumper
prm grabbar
holeshot tires
C.A.W.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gee thanks for all the help guys!!

K&N filter with adaptor
Kibblewhite valves
drze kit
trailtech bars
ac blackline nerf bars
prm grabbar
holeshot tires
Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
:::Z-250 Rider:::

not sure which seal youre taking about, the rev shaft or the nuetral switch or the shift lever. anyways on the nuetral switch there a o-ring is the o-ring there. on the other two there may be a small nick on the shaft go get some 400 grit emery cloth and clean the shaft and try a small amount of silicone on the outside of the seal.
je 434 big bore hot cams port and polish head 400ex intake fullbore plastic amr grapfics pro taper bars chrome steering stem hole shot tires front and rear 15/40 gearing barnett clutch stock cdi box sparks pipe air charger 39mm fcr carb 170 main jet dual bead lock hiper wheels with orange rings did cam chain alum air scoops dura-blue axel.
orangeracer434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Check this out - online parts finder pic. BTW, your post was up for a little over a damn day. Be patient, 'cause if you're not, people do not reply to you - that leaves you as the screwed one, hunting for information.

You have a problem with #12, 26, 27, or 35. You've already replaced #27 three times - that makes 4 seals total. Something tells me it's not that seal, right? Have you inspected the inner edges of part #35 yet? Have you checked the outboard edge of the inner race on part #26 yet? Have you checked part #12 for damage yet?

If you've replaced the seal for the third time, it's probably not going to be the seal. Might be the installation, but I'd look at some other part involved as the problem - it needs to be thoroughly inspected in the whole area.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess I am just used to faster responses. I have replaced 2 times thinkin maybe it was installation error. The last time I was sure it wasnt. #12 appears to be fine. I feel no knicks or burrs and it has no movement. #35 is also in good shape.
But yet oils continues to come out. I guess what I am asking is what else it could be? #26 is a bearing and I dont see how it could the function of the seal.

If it helps at all when this originally started leaking I was out at Finger Lakes in Columbia and it was extremely muddy. Which the mud there is harder than most like a clay and it was packed into alot of tight places. this place bein one

K&N filter with adaptor
Kibblewhite valves
drze kit
trailtech bars
ac blackline nerf bars
prm grabbar
holeshot tires
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

If the bearing froze, it's either tearing up the countershaft or the engine case. If the bearing had a couple knicked steel balls in there, then it's producing alot of heat. Both of those things could be eating the seals. If the mud you got in there before was some bad stuff, it could have worn down the output shaft diameter, and the new seals won't have a tight sealing surface against the shaft.

Those three parts are the only ones in contact with the seal, besides the left side engine case. It has to be something there causing it.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

My guess is that it has to do something with the shaft. The oil only comes out where the seal makes contact with the shaft.
I guess I will try the emery cloth and see if that helps any at all. I was hopin to make it through this season without tearing the motor down. I have a dune trip planned for Oct 2nd.

K&N filter with adaptor
Kibblewhite valves
drze kit
trailtech bars
ac blackline nerf bars
prm grabbar
holeshot tires
Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

If this seal already has to go, just check everything out really well once you remove it. If you have a good caliper, measure that output shaft at the sealing surface. There's not a spec for the output shaft minimum diameter in the service manual, but I've got a couple spare transmission that I can measure for you - to compare the size to. If there's a pretty big difference, then you could blame it on that.

Put the motor in neutral, and turn that countershaft (or have someone else turn it), and look at that bearing - just see if anything looks odd when it's turning. If you're the one turning it, you'll also be able to feel it hang up a little due to a bad ball bearing in the races. Other than that, there's not much more you can do unless you tear it all down.
Advertisement