Kfx 400: Is My Transmission Going Out? - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

I'm told the KFX 400 motor is the same as the lt-z so I'm hoping to get some help here. I bought a used 2006 kfx 400 and all of the sudden I am having transmission problems. It is very hard to find neutral, and sometimes in neutral it makes a clanging noise. Sometimes in 1st or 2nd gear when you let the clutch out, it it feels the transmisssion is jammed and it will stall the motor.

What is going on? Is this something that is going to be labor intensive?? What kind of parts would I need? Where could I get the parts to fix it? Thanks!!!
www.shaunroberts.com
ranchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Joshz400_03

Sounds like a clutch issue
Joshz400_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (joshz400_03 @ Feb 24 2009, 08:23 PM)
Quote:
Sounds like a clutch issue[/b]
The clutch? Why do you think it would be the clutch? It doesn't slip and hooks up great. If I pull my lever in while in gear it doesn't walk.
www.shaunroberts.com
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

sometimes neutral is just hard to find on these quads. dont know about the engine stalling. you might have a bent shifter shaft
GT Thunder front and rear shock with link, pro armor skid plates throughout, shredder rear tires 20x11 R9, IMS pegs with kick up, IMS nerf bars, IMS heel guards, IMS brake and clutch lever, +2 lone star a-arms, +1 houser Stem, pro taper fat bars, DRZoo2 dash, gusseted frame, RTC scoops, louvers & levers, RPM axle, yz start buton, precision stabilizer, quadtech seat cover and memory foam seat upgrade
Engine
ESR intake with splash guard, yoshi full exhaust, megacycles cams, (ricky stator and new starter gears thanks to flywheel bolts), vortex 10x ignition, Athena 434 FCR 39mm carb, Kibblewhite black diamond valves & springs, DRZ base gasket,DID timing, engine ice, -16oz flywheel, pro design impeller, secret clutch package with hinson basket.

Build Thread
eric.w.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Send a message via AIM to superchink15

QUOTE (eric.w.13 @ Feb 25 2009, 07:12 AM)
Quote:
sometimes neutral is just hard to find on these quads. dont know about the engine stalling. you might have a bent shifter shaft[/b]
shift forks maybe? mine took a w00ter then again so did 4th gear and so was second...check oil?
ProTaper Bars
Side Mount Choke

2. 2004 z400 ltd edition
full skid plate
Erics Cylinder
dg nerfs
Bozicka's HMF Slip On
Jet Kit
Trying to make it run RIGHT
superchink15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

When my bike was impossible to find neutral it was because the barnette springs are way too stiff.. You dont have anything in your sig about whats in your bike so i dont know if you have stock or aftermarket clutch springs.. as for the other stuff could be bent shift forks like said above..if the shift rod was bent it would be dropping out of gear at random times
Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Send a message via AIM to johnsoninc86

could also be a grooved clutch basket. That tends to happen on higher hour machines, and makes it really tough to get in neutral. A simple oil change might help as well, with the right viscosity oil.
Bill Ballance full system, DRZe kit, Kibblewhites, Wiseco piston, FLEXX bars, Hipers, Razr2/Razr combo, GTT 450r fronts/ rear rebuild, Clarke 4.0g tank, DID 3/4 cam chain, PEP stabilizer, Acerbis Rally II's, Maier vent hood, Oury grips, AC standard nerfs, armadillo swinger/chassis skid, tusk tether kill, 03 Sub modded for ProArmor Grab bar, PRM baja bumper, LSR PB block off, Moose perch, Barnett Dirt Digger clutch, RK Chains X-ring, 13t front sprocket, Factory Effex seat cover and graphics, more to come.....

"I am being chased through the woods by a bunch of nutcases out to steal my $2 trophy that I paid $40+ to TRY to take home with me!"

IXCR B-Class
Lincoln Trail Motosports A-Class
Big thanks to my '08 sponsors- GT Thunder, Scott, Harley Davidson of Bloomington, Joe Stines, the parents and the girlfriend
johnsoninc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have no idea what kind of clutch is in it. I bought it used and the guy didn't know much about it except it had a big bore kit in it. Everything else is stock from what I can tell.

I changed the oil in it today. On the magnetic tip on the drain plug, it had one metal piece about 1/4" long and some shavings. Hope this wasn't from the tranny. One other thing I can think is maybe it had the big bore kit because a ring broke or something, and it was part of the ring on the magnetic tip? Maybe that was getting jammed in the transmission gear? Who knows..... It did seem to work better today after the oil change, but neutral is still a w00ter to find. It doesn't smoke and is very quick for a 400. The clutch doesn't slip and it doesn't walk in gear...
www.shaunroberts.com
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

did it look like a piece of wire? call me crazy but this happened to me. it ended up being the starter clutch bolts backet out and got in the stator. the reason mine would not shift good is because the wires of the stator got in there and caued me not to be able to shift. this might be your problem as well.
GT Thunder front and rear shock with link, pro armor skid plates throughout, shredder rear tires 20x11 R9, IMS pegs with kick up, IMS nerf bars, IMS heel guards, IMS brake and clutch lever, +2 lone star a-arms, +1 houser Stem, pro taper fat bars, DRZoo2 dash, gusseted frame, RTC scoops, louvers & levers, RPM axle, yz start buton, precision stabilizer, quadtech seat cover and memory foam seat upgrade
Engine
ESR intake with splash guard, yoshi full exhaust, megacycles cams, (ricky stator and new starter gears thanks to flywheel bolts), vortex 10x ignition, Athena 434 FCR 39mm carb, Kibblewhite black diamond valves & springs, DRZ base gasket,DID timing, engine ice, -16oz flywheel, pro design impeller, secret clutch package with hinson basket.

Build Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

QUOTE (eric.w.13 @ Feb 26 2009, 07:15 AM)
Quote:
did it look like a piece of wire? call me crazy but this happened to me. it ended up being the starter clutch bolts backet out and got in the stator. the reason mine would not shift good is because the wires of the stator got in there and caued me not to be able to shift. this might be your problem as well.[/b]
Like a thick piece of wire?? Yeah, kinda. Did the problem seem to fix itself once the wire came of out the drain? Mine seems to be running fine now, except it is still hard to find neutral.
www.shaunroberts.com
Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

yeah once i got the wire out it ran better but the starter clutch bolts will continue to eat the stator and ruin it. if i was you i would jack up the left side (so you dont lose any oil) and take off the stator cover and check it out. be careful with the gasket and if it tears just a little put a dab of silicon over the tear and stick it back down.
Engine

Build Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Common problem on z's.. the starter bolts back out and chew up the stator..search the site for starter bolts..you should find a bunch of topics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement