06 kfx 400 dies when throttle pushed..barely idles. - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Default 06 kfx 400 dies when throttle pushed..barely idles.

Background:
06 kfx 440
Jetted perfectly on stock 06 carb
Hotcams
Big Gun CDI Rev Box
LRD Full Exhaust
Has about 200 hrs on this setup.
Oil changed regularly.
Has a fresh oil change with 10 min of idling on it. (come to think of it before changing it it seemed to die after a few min of idling to warm up, but I thought nothing of it and changed the oil.)

Sat for 2 months without being ridden, but ran perfectly when parked originally about a week before the oil change. Went to pismo and it would not run after a 9 hour drive to the dunes . Spent the weekend trying to fix things with no improvement. Before I left the bike ran sluggish, but ran enough to load it.(MISTAKE) #1 Needed choke though.

Symptoms

The bike will turn on and idle normally with choke on about 1/2- full choke for about 3-4 min then die on its own, but the second I even touch the throttle even a hair it instantly dies. No matter if on prime, reserve or on.

91 octane gas is still old and I did not use sta-bil. Wouldn't it not even start if the gas was totally horrible?

What I've done so far

-Cleaned the main jet and pilot jet with carb cleaner. You can see daylight through the holes. Even before cleaning everything looked new. Float did not seem stuck at all.
-Unplugged CDI and plugged back in
-Grounds are on tight.
-The little wire near the throttle is plugged in (not sure what it is even)
-All hoses are attached to the carb. Including the air box and hose from intake port to carb.
-I blew air through the petcock tube into the tank using the healthy choice of using my lungs. Gas flow didn't seem like a river coming out of tube, but about a stream.
-Even tried starting with gas cap off. No difference.

What do you think I can do? I'm so lost and frustrated. I've had 0 problems with this quad until now.
My k&N filter seems a bit dirty though, but I don't think its enough to make it not run.
kfxrider90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

Do you have your stock cdi box? Same exact symptoms I had when I had a faulty dyna cdi box. As soon as I plugged in the stock cdi box everything ran and started like normal.
SOLD!!! 2006 Z400 - Old school hotcams, Mild port & polish, JE 13.5.1 piston, DRZ flywheel, FCR39, DRZ valve springs, Dynatek non- programmable cdi, Wiseco cam chain, DRZ top end gaskets, White Brothers E2 full exhaust, K&N lid off and the list goes on....I now have a CRF450
pimpit_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpit_r6 View Post
Do you have your stock cdi box? Same exact symptoms I had when I had a faulty dyna cdi box. As soon as I plugged in the stock cdi box everything ran and started like normal.

hmmm.....no I do not I sold it about 2 years ago. Makes logical sense to me though. I knew I should have kept it.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
:::Z-250 Rider:::

dito on box...clean filter,carb...make sure valves are shimed and in spec...200 hrs might need a top end...change gas...
flattracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker1 View Post
dito on box...clean filter,carb...make sure valves are shimed and in spec...200 hrs might need a top end...change gas...
I just bought a stock cdi, hopefully its here by friday. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Today I tried starting it again and now all it does it turnover. Not even a pop. If not I will check my valves.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

sounds good. Lets us know the results.
SOLD!!! 2006 Z400 - Old school hotcams, Mild port & polish, JE 13.5.1 piston, DRZ flywheel, FCR39, DRZ valve springs, Dynatek non- programmable cdi, Wiseco cam chain, DRZ top end gaskets, White Brothers E2 full exhaust, K&N lid off and the list goes on....I now have a CRF450
pimpit_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpit_r6 View Post
sounds good. Lets us know the results.
Will do, but if anyone else has Ideas let me hear it.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I put the OEM CDI in and no difference. I then took off my gas tank to see if there is spark. There is a lot of spark with the OEM CDI and Big Gun CDI. The one thing I noticed was that my spark plug seemed very black. I'm going to purchase a new one since it is about 2 years old.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

when i remove my carb on my 06,there is a plastic sort device with two screws on the clutch side of motor.Its a male/female type of plug and if the slots are not lined up it does exactly what you are describing. I would take that plug off get a flat screw driver turning the female side of connection mounted on the side of the carb clockwise as you turn over the quad. That plug could be at fault.
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

The reason your plug is black is because of flooding the bike to keep it running.
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

UPDATE

Today I cleaned the carb really good. I found some corrosion inside my carb, but it came off easy with cleaner. Took out all the jets and cleaned them as well as the needle and float. Basically if it can come off I took it off and cleaned it. I also cleaned the sparkplug and checked the gap (it was perfect) I also cleaned out the fuel filter.

So now atleast I can get it to start( last week it wouldnt even do that) for about 20-30 seconds even without choke which is a plus. The bike still instantly dies even with the ever so slightest touch of the throttle.

I'm lost help!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

OK new UPDATE 2/12/11

Got a used carb and installed it it started for a second and thats it.

So i did a compression check (cold) and I got 95lbs....yikes!!! I then decided to check my valve clearance(while cold) and I couldn't even get a .08 feeler gauge under the intake or exhaust. I'm not sure how much of a difference if it was warm it would make.

BTW- i didn't find any metal flakes or anything.

Ideas?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

Send a message via AIM to drnez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
when i remove my carb on my 06,there is a plastic sort device with two screws on the clutch side of motor.Its a male/female type of plug and if the slots are not lined up it does exactly what you are describing. I would take that plug off get a flat screw driver turning the female side of connection mounted on the side of the carb clockwise as you turn over the quad. That plug could be at fault.
That is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You do not even really need it.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

Send a message via AIM to drnez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxrider90 View Post
I then decided to check my valve clearance(while cold) and I couldn't even get a .08 feeler gauge under the intake or exhaust. I'm not sure how much of a difference if it was warm it would make.
Is that in inches or mm? Did you check it at TDC? Your valves could be cupped. You should have around 0.15mm on the intake, and 0.2mm on the exhaust.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

mm.. if my valves were cupped I would need to get some new ones I'm assuming and take the head off and get it machined?

Yep checked it a TDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement