For ALL Z400 GURUS!! Starting problems... - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Default For ALL Z400 GURUS!! Starting problems...

I got 2003 kfx400 with a real puzzle. It will pop start and run hard, but will not start electrically. The starter spins freely if I remove the flywheel cover, the battery is 11.6volts (a little low, but I doubt that is the problem), all the gears on the flywheel have their teeth and spin freely. The larger starter gear behind the flywheel spins only one way, but to be safe I took of the starter gear out and saw no visible damage on the starter clutches, flywheel, the stator, or anything in the oil. When I push the start button, it sounds like that starter does spin but doesn't sound the same as my 03 z400. When I hooked up my compression tester, nothing, no compression. I took off the cylinder, the walls and the piston were in good shape with no scoring (plus it runs good if you pop start it).

What could it be??

Thank you!
ND
booster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::Z400 Rider:::

Did you check the valves?
Trinity Stage 4 full exhaust, UNI filter w/ DIY powerlid, 400EX airboot, FCR39, R&D fuel screw, DRZe kit, Yoshimura Cams, Motion Pro Twist throttle, Pro Taper bars, YFZ calipers, TRX master cylinder, KX clutch perch, KTM lines, Acerbis hand guards, TrailTech Vapor, aluminum radiator shrouds, aluminum heal guards, bossbearing DLR conversion, ZX6 LED tail-light, full PRM skids and bumper, ITP's w/GNCC's, Laegers +2, Houser +1.25, LTR pegs, LTR rear hubs, Elka link, KFX450 shocks
sandman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to matty2299

well if the starter is spinning and u have no compression it must not be fully engaging and locking into the flywheel to crank the engine right? other wise the engine would turn and youd have compression

'98 warrior
400 Big Bore
K&N Filter Outerwears
Jetted
Full Pipe Cant remember brand off the top of my head ill have to look....the Z gets all my attention these days
Race Cut Front Fenders
matty2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Valves? I thought since it runs good when you pop start it, valves would not be the issue.

Forgot to add, that it does sometimes start via start button, but that is if you ride for 30 minutes or more and the engine warms up a good amount..
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty2299 View Post
well if the starter is spinning and u have no compression it must not be fully engaging and locking into the flywheel to crank the engine right? other wise the engine would turn and youd have compression
I kinda get the idea that somewhere its not engaging, but not sure where or how to properly diagnose it. I inspected the flywheel/starter gear assembly to the best of my knowledge and found no red flags.

When I took the spark plug out and cranked it, I did get puffs of air, but VERY WEAK (teaspoon of oil into the cylinder had no real affect on the compression).

Again, I do have some kind of movement when starting, but it sounds at a faster rate, and it doesn't sound like my Z,

>>>>>>>The woodruf key is in good condition as well.<<<<<<<
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

If it starts fine on a pop start and not by the starter it is always the valves. If they are out of spec using the starter wont be powerful enough. Pop starting it gives it more power for those valves that are out of spec to open up and that's why it starts. Its a very common problem on the z. Get yourself a manual, and a feeler gauge and check them out. Its pretty easy.
Pro Taper SE Bars
ODI Grips
PowerMadd Handguards

Air box lid removed
K&N Filter w/Outerwears lid cover
FMF T4 Slip on
Wiseco Valves w/ HD Springs
DID Cam Chain
Tusk Clutch with Springs

Holeshots(rear) Stock Rims for now
Razr's(front) on Black Geforce Rims

Gforce axle
2006 Front Stock Shocks

Moose parking break block off
Tusk gas cap
evitagen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

Send a message via MSN to chinoduca

Clearances should be,
Intakes: 0.10mm
Exhausts: 0.20mm

'03 White Z400 - SOLD

I SuzukiCentral!
chinoduca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Valve lash is too tight!

Read this.
Z400 Hard To Start Or Wont Start When The Engine Is Cold?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am so embarrassed. What a novice mistake

The intake was gone! absolutely no gap, so tight that when I tightened the cam holder in place, i couldn't even spin the damn thing

I guess a shim kit will be needed. Any possible damage that could have happened from this. When I took the shims off and tightened the cam in place it spins freely just like the exhaust one, but a tiny, tiny fraction with more resistance, almost non existent (with no signs of any scoring or any other visible damage) should this be a concern?

* this is like the time where I spent killing a battery or two not realizing that i was out of gas Lesson, always check the basics first lol..

Back to putting back the engine
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

Send a message via AIM to drnez

You might need to get new valves.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnez View Post
You might need to get new valves.
Any way of knowing that before I order the shim kit?

I looked at the valves and did not see any gaps or light penetrating through..
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Here is the thought process. First off the stock valves have a coating on them that protects them from heat. When the quad is run with a dirty air filter, or the stock air filter leaks air, (Stock filters suck!) you pull air past the intake valves and "sand blast" the coating off the valves. The valves in turn get soft and cup. This means the bottom of the valves pull away from the stem, making them longer and don't seat correctly. So shimming the valves is a temporary fix. Additionally, the stock valves are a 2 piece design and have been know to separate and drop into the cylinder. This takes out the whole top end. Your best bet is to do a top end rebuild. New after market stainless steel valves and have the seats cut too. You can do a DRZe kit while your at it. You will be happy you did!

Dan

Welcome to the site.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

some people might disagree with this method, but i would recommend doing the following (for saving some cash and possibly a lot of time):

buy a shim kit, reshim the valves, and run the quad.

if the coating is gone or the valves are otherwise damaged, they will get tight fairly quickly (or if damaged they will still not seal tight and the reshim will not change your current condition)

if it gets tight again quickly (10 hours or less of ride time) get some valves and think about a BBK or piston re-ring while you have it apart.

if not....go nuts and check them regularly as normal.
zookie400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
CFM
CFM Motorsports

The coating on the valves is not as thick as the valve clearance you lost... To make a long story short, you DO need new valves. If they lose clearance all the way to zero, the valve is junk.

Closely inspect the intake for leaks, but most likely the owner didn't service the air filter enough, and dirt ingestion ruined the intake valves.
Ferrea +1 Valves, Kibblewhite valve springs,
DRZ Manual Decomp. CFM Motorsports porting,
HSR45 carb, Custom intake,
Barker's Performance Full Exhaust
Trailtech flywheel, Dyna Programable

Need a Barker exhaust system? Web Cams? Valves? Porting? Shocks rebuilt? FXR Gear? Spy Goggles?
CFM Motorsports 712-209-2212
cfmmotorsports@gmail.com
CFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Send a message via MSN to camaro1976

The coating on the valves is not as thick as the valve clearance you lost... To make a long story short, you DO need new valves. If they lose clearance all the way to zero, the valve is junk.

Closely inspect the intake for leaks, but most likely the owner didn't service the air filter enough, and dirt ingestion ruined the intake valves.

camaro1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement