Ok. It's been a month or so since I did this repair. I dug up about 25-30 pics I took during the process, sorry they are from my phone but the pics aren't bad. When I asked for advice on this subject I got alot of help from members here- and I like to help people out too! My searches on our site at the time did not return many pics so I threatened you all that I would try to do a How to- and here goes:
I had one heck of a time getting this thing apart as my carrier bearings were completely gone. The crush sleeve between the bearings was galled onto the axle and when it did finally come apart this is what I found:
On disassembly I was unable to remove the hub for the brake rotor- this is no problem- the sprocket hub slides right off so don't worry it's ok to leave the rotor hub on the axle. Remove the rotor to avoid damage and get it all apart!
Let the parts ordering begin. I ordered a used swingarm off ebay for the carrier and bearing spacer. Got new bearings, sprockets, chain, and a case saver too. The axle was fine once I cut off the bearing spacer. So once it all arrived It was time to fire up the bead blaster and add some paint- Figured why not lol I was into it this far might as well make it pretty!
Once all clean and painted I laid everything out:
Now time for assembly! First you need to set up your carrier with the new bearings. It helps to warm up the carrier and freeze your bearings for easy install. It shouldn't take alot of force to put them in- mine slid right in by hand then tap the seals in so they fit nice and flush. Don't forget the spacer between the bearings LOL!
Put the carrier back into the swingarm by putting the adjuster plate onto the carrier and then slide the whole assembly back onto the swingarm:
Insert the lockdown bolts and get ready to slide your axle back in-
Put the sprocket hub back on and tighten the axle nut and locking nut on the axle. Put the sprocket, Rotor, and outer hubs back on. I used red loctite on all my bolts. Wouldn't want a loose sprocket or rotor would we?
I realize this is the truncated version. If you have any questions just ask! I had so many pics there's no way I could sit here all day posting them up lmao! At the same time I did this I also did the front and rear brake pads, added a case saver, and a few other things to boot. But these pics should give you a fair estimate of what is involved parts/labor wise, and you see it's not that complicated, just time consuming. Well worth the effort though!
That's me on the left- out riding again with 2 of my best friends! I can't thank the people on this forum enough for all the advice(and a good ribbing now and again!). Hopefully this post will help somebody like me when their carrier makes a weird squeak, and they find catastrophic failure such as I did!