Rear Axle/Carrier replacement How-To! - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Default Rear Axle/Carrier replacement How-To!

Ok. It's been a month or so since I did this repair. I dug up about 25-30 pics I took during the process, sorry they are from my phone but the pics aren't bad. When I asked for advice on this subject I got alot of help from members here- and I like to help people out too! My searches on our site at the time did not return many pics so I threatened you all that I would try to do a How to- and here goes:

I had one heck of a time getting this thing apart as my carrier bearings were completely gone. The crush sleeve between the bearings was galled onto the axle and when it did finally come apart this is what I found:

On disassembly I was unable to remove the hub for the brake rotor- this is no problem- the sprocket hub slides right off so don't worry it's ok to leave the rotor hub on the axle. Remove the rotor to avoid damage and get it all apart!

Let the parts ordering begin. I ordered a used swingarm off ebay for the carrier and bearing spacer. Got new bearings, sprockets, chain, and a case saver too. The axle was fine once I cut off the bearing spacer. So once it all arrived It was time to fire up the bead blaster and add some paint- Figured why not lol I was into it this far might as well make it pretty!

Once all clean and painted I laid everything out:

Now time for assembly! First you need to set up your carrier with the new bearings. It helps to warm up the carrier and freeze your bearings for easy install. It shouldn't take alot of force to put them in- mine slid right in by hand then tap the seals in so they fit nice and flush. Don't forget the spacer between the bearings LOL!

Put the carrier back into the swingarm by putting the adjuster plate onto the carrier and then slide the whole assembly back onto the swingarm:

Insert the lockdown bolts and get ready to slide your axle back in-

Put the sprocket hub back on and tighten the axle nut and locking nut on the axle. Put the sprocket, Rotor, and outer hubs back on. I used red loctite on all my bolts. Wouldn't want a loose sprocket or rotor would we?

I realize this is the truncated version. If you have any questions just ask! I had so many pics there's no way I could sit here all day posting them up lmao! At the same time I did this I also did the front and rear brake pads, added a case saver, and a few other things to boot. But these pics should give you a fair estimate of what is involved parts/labor wise, and you see it's not that complicated, just time consuming. Well worth the effort though!

That's me on the left- out riding again with 2 of my best friends! I can't thank the people on this forum enough for all the advice(and a good ribbing now and again!). Hopefully this post will help somebody like me when their carrier makes a weird squeak, and they find catastrophic failure such as I did!
'04 Suzuki LTZ 400 stock bore,FCR39 168m 45p LJplugged 2.5turns,Full Yoshi,Vented airbox lid,K&N with outerwears,Aluminum radiator grille and shrouds,07 450r front shocks with rezzies,Denton steering stabilizer,Blob Removed,parking brake blocked off,kill switch starter button,Trailtech Vapor and X-bar kit,Tusk Dflex handguards,Patriot Graphics,Full Skids,Bumper,Heelguards,sport rack,23x7x9 Razr's,22x11x9 Maxxis All-traks, 13/39t sprockets
Borked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Nice write up! This will defiantly help some people replacing theirs.
Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link --> Want more power?
Link --> Attn. New Members
Link --> Free Service Man. Downloads!
TuckerHardRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

nice DIY

04 ltz400 DRZE kit, pro taper bars, Nerf bars, stock can with a straw for a header, ripped up seat, slightly over sized battery, 185 jetting with no lid, removed snorkel, bent up skid plates, but its MINE

WIFES: 06 JEEP grand Cherokee lerado,

03 LTZ400: DRZE kit, fly handle bars full sparks exhaust, 195 main, single base gasket, tusk nerfs, bazooka tires all around

DON'T JUDGE ME, it could be bad for your health

****BOOM****
ltz400dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

This may be a dumb question, but whts the purpose of the sleeve between the bearings, that the axle goes thru?
beaverclever02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

It is so when you tighten down the axle locking nuts the bearings stay centered and tight.
'04 Suzuki LTZ 400 stock bore,FCR39 168m 45p LJplugged 2.5turns,Full Yoshi,Vented airbox lid,K&N with outerwears,Aluminum radiator grille and shrouds,07 450r front shocks with rezzies,Denton steering stabilizer,Blob Removed,parking brake blocked off,kill switch starter button,Trailtech Vapor and X-bar kit,Tusk Dflex handguards,Patriot Graphics,Full Skids,Bumper,Heelguards,sport rack,23x7x9 Razr's,22x11x9 Maxxis All-traks, 13/39t sprockets
Borked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Are you supposed to put grease on anything while putting it together? Also I noticed white and red (loctight I think) on the axle nuts, what exactly is it? I just got a new carrier, bearings, seals, and spacer
71z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Default bearing too far in on one side?

I am doing this right now on my 04 kfx 400. When I pressed the bearing in on the right side (the brake rotor side) it went in a lot further than the left side one did, so that when the dust seal is on the right side, it sits in about 1/8" or more. The manual says do the right side first, but is this normal?
rkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
:::LT250 Rider:::

ya use alot of marine grease !!!!
2006 LTR 450_ Hardened 3rd gear,yoshi header,FMF4.1,crbm,hotcams,hi-comp piston,cf3 hyper beadlocks,pro armor tether,GT Thunder polly skid,LONESTAR rotor&sprocket guards,FLEXX bars,FX gripper seat,powermads(flexible)IMS bumper,TBR fuel controller,QUAD TECH beak,AC grab bar,pro tech air box lid,Elka stage 4 up front stage 2 remote rezzy in rear!
2004-2005 ltz400 build starting!DG bumper,Powermadds,LTR shocks!
crz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement