Won't start got fuel fire and air - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Default Won't start got fuel fire and air

To get u up to speed Had a two stroke blaster got rid of it for this 06 ltz 400 bought it for $800 not running knowing its worth in parts, trying to get it to run now, needed a starter clutch so i pull the side case pour out close to 4-5 quarts of the most gas watered down oil I have ever seen. So I drain it wash it out with engine degreaser new starter clutch , oil filter and oil change new spark plug and check it off block do have fire . Has the petcock buy pass with an inline on off valve I have my buddy rebuild the carb blow are thru all the jets check the needle rubber end looked good put back to gether turn valve on have fuel running out of line in to carb so I have fuel , brand new uni air filter so I have air . Now for start up attempt try cranking turns over smooth no pecks or knocks will not fire have spark but won't fire after cranking for a few moments have oil and fuel in filter box no fuel coming out of carb over flow tube, and smell rich of fuel in exhaust gave up for the next . Now what ?
Backwoodsltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
:::LT500 Rider:::

The fuel smell is just flooding it out so u def have fuel. Maybe the valves news to be shimmed. I don't know a lot about shimming the valves but if u search u will see that has been an issue on may non running quads
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
:::LT250 Rider:::

Send a message via Yahoo to ctnstabber

Check the compression ,

2008 LTZ 400 SE

440 bbk
+4 crank
webs cams
port &polish head
FCR39
Yoshi full exhaust
Basically lots of money

ctnstabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

I agree with both. A valve check would be quickest, so I'd get that out of the way first. Compression check will tell you if he burned up the rings when the float stuck open or if the float became stuck after it wouldn't run.

If you didn't split the cases, you'll need to put some oil (at least a quart) in the timing mark hole to help lube things up while you crank. Degreaser probably wasn't the best thing to use as it leaves a residue that won't allow oil to get to the moving parts very well.

If those are both good, I'd check his buddy's work on the carb.
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
jetmech25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement