This Is How To Bypass The Vacuum Fuel Line - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Red face

I read a post ( Fuel Off Valve ) by SRchop16 concerning the stock fuel valves on the Z400. In that post, NormalZ gave a link ( Bypass the vacuum fuel valve ) to another helpful post. I have a 2006 Z400 and a couple people towards the end of the post advised that this procedure doesn't work on 2006 models. I have had problems with my 2006 stock petcock and I wanted to thank all of you that helped out. I decided to take my petcock off to clean it and look for a way to make the mod work on 2006 models. I was able to come up with a solution to the problem. The mod is as follows.....

1- Remove the entire petcock from the gas tank.

2- Remove the "vacuum line cover" from the back of the petcock. Be careful, there's a spring inside

3- Pull out the "vacuum line plug" being careful not to damage the square rubber gasket (disregard the yellow circle in the picture)

4- Cut around the "vacuum line plug" to remove the square rubber gasket. You should have something that looks like this.

5- Keep the square rubber gasket and set aside the "vacuum line plug" and the "vacuum line spring", these won't be reinstalled.

6- Plug the small hole on the inside of the "vacuum line cover" and the exterior "vacuum line tube" to stop gas from leaking in to the vent line. Before I pluged the inside small hole......

After the plug.....

I used this stuff from Advance Auto Parts called "Quick Steel" ($4.68). It's an epoxy that sets up in 1 hour and is impervious to chemicals.

7- After the plugs that you made are dry, reassemble the "vacuum line cover" with the square rubber gasket. Don't reinstall the spring or the "vacuum line plug" that was cut off of the square rubber gasket.

8- Vacuum is no longer needed on any position on the fuel valve. The "on", "reserve" and "prime" positions are all free flowing now. Keep in mind that running with the fuel switch in the "prime" position is just like running in the "reserve" position.

9- After completing this mod, you will no longer have an "off" position. To solve this, I purchased an in-line fuel shut off valve from Tractor Supply ($6.94). It's made by Briggs and Stratton (part# 5091). To shut off all fuel flow to the carb, I simply turn this in-line valve to off.

valve open....

valve closed...

I also hooked the rubber vacuum line back up to the back of the petcock and carb just to keep junk out of the carb. I also installed an in-line fuel filter and Tusk gas cap while I was at it.

Please excuse my dirty ride. I had to test this mod out. I have no leaks and no more vacuum problems. My ride runs good again.... and now I have "on", "reserve" and a real "off" position.

PERFORMANCE
13 tooth front sprocket; pull choke; petcock mod; clamp on K&N air filter with outerwear and lid removed; removed screen from intake tube; Yoshimura RS-3 Full Exhaust; Dyno-Jet kit currently running a 160 main/needle-3rd clip/25 pilot/fuel screw 2.25 out/elevation 650 ft; Motion Pro Terminator clutch cable.

REINFORCEMENTS
Tusk nerf bars; Tusk Typhoon rear rotor; Tusk billet gas cap; Tusk parking brake block off; G-Force axle; Armadillo full skid plate; Armadillo A-arm guards; Armadillo swing arm guard; Pro Armor link guard; Pro Armor Dominator bumper; Fuel ATV cooler rack; Pro Design case saver; PowerMadd hand guards; front & rear shock covers; Works Connection frame guards; Garmin Etrex GPS; Hard Looks custom warning labels; IMS 4 gallon fuel tank; Stainless steel rear brake line.
MYZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Great write up but for all your work and the money it cost you you could of got a new petcock for 20 bucks.I read that a raptor-660 works.I used an old petcock off an old oversized kawi tank that I have.
suzuki88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

It takes about a half hour to do the mod (not including the dry time) and costs $12. Went to McDonald's with all the money I saved.

PERFORMANCE
13 tooth front sprocket; pull choke; petcock mod; clamp on K&N air filter with outerwear and lid removed; removed screen from intake tube; Yoshimura RS-3 Full Exhaust; Dyno-Jet kit currently running a 160 main/needle-3rd clip/25 pilot/fuel screw 2.25 out/elevation 650 ft; Motion Pro Terminator clutch cable.

REINFORCEMENTS
Tusk nerf bars; Tusk Typhoon rear rotor; Tusk billet gas cap; Tusk parking brake block off; G-Force axle; Armadillo full skid plate; Armadillo A-arm guards; Armadillo swing arm guard; Pro Armor link guard; Pro Armor Dominator bumper; Fuel ATV cooler rack; Pro Design case saver; PowerMadd hand guards; front & rear shock covers; Works Connection frame guards; Garmin Etrex GPS; Hard Looks custom warning labels; IMS 4 gallon fuel tank; Stainless steel rear brake line.
MYZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Pinned... Good write-up, explanations, and pics. Good job!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
:::LT500 Rider:::

Other than the loss of reserve, what other advantage is there to just running on prime?

z
EX DG nerfs modded to fit, Team Zuki Heel Guards, AC Bumper
Renthol Banshee Bend Bars, One Indutries Graphics
LSR Front Spindles and +2 +4 Rear Axle
Maxxis Razr Rears and IPT GNC Fronts
MODQUAD Sprocket and Case Saver
Custom Warning labels and Dash
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::LT500 Rider:::

Some find that the fuel flow in the "ON" position is inadequate or inconsistent. Running it on "Prime" is the same as "on" on a standard petcock.
BNR Motorsports
GBC Motorsports
GT Thunder
Spider Grips
Scott USA
Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"
flynbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
:::DVX 400 Rider:::

Send a message via AIM to mmikulak

QUOTE (drzoo2 @ Feb 20 2007, 10:35 AM)
Quote:
Other than the loss of reserve, what other advantage is there to just running on prime?

z[/b]
You have to run on prime if you get the FCR carb. Most popular carb option.

Orange 06 KFX400-
THE GREAT PUMPKIN
elevation 968'-Full Yoshi RS3 Carbon Fiber with baffle removed-K/N stock replacement no airbox lid-Dyna CDI Box- Non Programmable-HotCams Stage 2 I&E-DRZE base gasket 12.2:1-Carb- FCR39 from 04 YFZ, 165 mian, needle on 4th clip, 45 pilot, 50 Leak Jet, Boyessen AP Cover,-A/P linkage clip Mod, Pilot screw 2.0 Turns out-13T Front Sprocket-Alba Pro Elite Front Bumper
mmikulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
CFM
CFM Motorsports

I havent tried it (yet) but I have heard that a 660 raptor fuel petcock will fit it.
Ferrea +1 Valves, Kibblewhite valve springs,
DRZ Manual Decomp. CFM Motorsports porting,
HSR45 carb, Custom intake,
Barker's Performance Full Exhaust
Trailtech flywheel, Dyna Programable

Need a Barker exhaust system? Web Cams? Valves? Porting? Shocks rebuilt?
CFM Motorsports 712-209-2212
cfmmotorsports@gmail.com
CFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

i have a stock carb and i noticed my bike runs like sht on the ON part, doesnt get enough fuel...i just turn it on PRI and it hasnt failed yet....

in the manuel it says to never leave the bike on the PRI position when not running, i've forgot to put it back in the ON position a couple times and left it for about a week and nothing has happened, bike started up fine...

is leaving it on PRI actually that harmful to my quad?
dynojet kit
Main 160, pilot stock, needle 3rd clip, fuel screw 1.5 turns out
arctic cat nerf bars and hand guards
snorkel off, air box lid on
06DVX400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
CFM
CFM Motorsports

QUOTE (06DVX400 @ Feb 23 2007, 08:18 PM)
Quote:
i have a stock carb and i noticed my bike runs like sht on the ON part, doesnt get enough fuel...i just turn it on PRI and it hasnt failed yet....
in the manuel it says to never leave the bike on the PRI position when not running, i've forgot to put it back in the ON position a couple times and left it for about a week and nothing has happened, bike started up fine...
is leaving it on PRI actually that harmful to my quad?[/b]

If the needle valve is good in your carburetor, then you will never have a problem with the pri position.
Pri is reserve that does not shut off when the engine does. It is manual reserve.
Ferrea +1 Valves, Kibblewhite valve springs,
DRZ Manual Decomp. CFM Motorsports porting,
HSR45 carb, Custom intake,
Barker's Performance Full Exhaust
Trailtech flywheel, Dyna Programable

Need a Barker exhaust system? Web Cams? Valves? Porting? Shocks rebuilt?
CFM Motorsports 712-209-2212
cfmmotorsports@gmail.com
CFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
:::Z400 Rider:::

so what is the real benefit to this mod?? just curious. thanks
dave

Luke's Racing 450cc - 39mm FCR (178MJ, 55PJ, NCVQ 3rd Clip, Zip-Ty 1.25turns) - Boyesen QuickShot - CFM Aluminum Airbox w/Dual Stage UNI - 400EX Intake Boot - HotCams In/Ex - Kibblewhite In/Ex Valves - Kibblewhite Spring Kit - Dynatek CDI - FMF PowerCore 4 w/Powerbomb System - LSR Spindles - JT Sprockets (15t/39t) - RK X-Ring Chain - Moose Billet Case Saver - 2005 KFX Front Shocks - Denton 7-Way Damper - OMF Radiator Scoops - Pro Armor Nerfs with Fat Pegs - Pro Armor BullHorn - Pro Armor Pro Race Grab Bar - ITP Holeshot GNCC's on Black T-9's - Armadillo Chassis, Swing Arm, Rear Shock and A-Arm Skids - Fly Aero Flex Bars (Banshee Bend) - MSR AOF Clutch LVR w/Hotstart for Reverse - UFO Handguards
Check Out My Myspace!!!
mrgixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

QUOTE (mrgixxer6 @ Mar 2 2007, 08:32 PM)
Quote:
so what is the real benefit to this mod?? just curious. thanks
dave[/b]

running in the prime is just like running in reserve so when your out there is nothing left but if you mod it you can run an fcr carb in the on position and still have the reserve so you dont have to walk back to the truck to get your gas can. and trust me i've had to do it and it sucks.

blew it up!!

470 on the way?
ponycar_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

Send a message via AIM to drnez

Search, there are several folks on here who use raptor petcocks.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

Send a message via AIM to bludevilz91

I had a problem with the raptor petcock. The selector was rightup against the frame so I couldn't turn it. I just did a mod similiar to this and plugged off the vacuum hole. I run the FCR thats why I had to do this.
PRO DESIGN K&N W/ OUTERWEARS AND CUSTOM LID AND 400EX AIR TUBE
FCR 40 OFF OF CRF450: 172 MAIN JET, 45 PILOT, 1.5 TURNS, 35 LEAK JET, NEEDLE ON 2ND CLIP FROM TOP
RAZR 2's ON .190's IN THE REAR AND RAZR's ON .190's UP FRONT
BLACK MAIERS WITH BOMBSQUAD GRAPHICS
13/40 JT SPROCKET GEARING
ARMADILLO AND PRO-ARMOR UNDERSIDE
bludevilz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

MYZ, what kind of problems were you having with your 06 and the petcock?? I have a 06, and it doesn't seem to want to start. I'm interested in knowing what your problems were......

Thanks!

Full HMF Sport Series
170MJ
K&N Air Filter
Intake screen removed
AMR Monster Coil
HolesShots on the rear.
Denton rebuildable steering stabilizer.
R-660 petcock on the tank!!
FCR 39mm soon........
Ignition coming soon..... Any recommendations......
Do Work! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement