07 ltz 400 starting problem - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
:::Rookie Rider:::

Default 07 ltz 400 starting problem

Recenly bought an 07 ltz 400 in great shape for 2k..
On the first real ride out it broke down. My friend was riding it and splashing thru puddles. All the sudden it just quit..

We cant get it started. We tried choking it. We let it sit. I even sprayed starting fluid in it. No luck. It almost sounds like the kill switch is "off" when its turning over and it just wont allow it to start.

Would water in the carb keep it from not starting? It couldnt have got too mych water in it. The air filter was dry and the air box just had enough water to cover half the bottom of the box...

Any help would be great! Thanks
zukirider94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Did you try cleaning the carb? Water in the electronics? Did you try searching yet?
Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link --> Want more power?
Link --> Attn. New Members
Link --> Free Service Man. Downloads!
TuckerHardRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Update.. I pulled out the spark plug wire.. Hit the starter button. It blew out some water out of the whole on the side of the engine.. Plug ut back in. Started up. Ran. Whenever i hit the gas itd shoot out what seemed to be some black smoke. But only when i hit the gas. So i shut it off.. Now it wont start again
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

first off bad move by pulling the spark plug out with out blowing out the spark plug chamber... your problem was the chamber filled up with water and you had no spark because the coil was grounding out from the plug being under water.... same thing happen to me, i turned my z up side down wile the spark plug boot was disconnected from the plug so the water can drain.... by you pulling the plug out you allowed all the water and dirt enter the piston chamber, you can really do damage that way... the black smoke is prolly from the crap in the piston and a bad fouled plug..... gotta be smarter then the quad.....

04 ltz400 DRZE kit, pro taper bars, Nerf bars, stock can with a straw for a header, ripped up seat, slightly over sized battery, 185 jetting with no lid, removed snorkel, bent up skid plates, but its MINE

WIFES: 06 JEEP grand Cherokee lerado,

03 LTZ400: DRZE kit, fly handle bars full sparks exhaust, 195 main, single base gasket, tusk nerfs, bazooka tires all around

DON'T JUDGE ME, it could be bad for your health

****BOOM****
ltz400dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

so should i go buy a new spark plug? it was black and dirty.. obviousley. but it still had a little spark to it when i hit the starter. but it never fired again
Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
:::Official Spammer:::

so did you remove the spark plug or just the boot, from what it sounds like your plug was loose. if the plug is black and dirty get a new plug. i have noticed if you have very very little spark the bike wont start from personal experience. get your self a new plug and tighten it down and try starting it. if it continues to blow black smoke your running really rich and need to do some carb tuning. make sure your air filter is really clean and clean the carb very well. your new plug should create a nice bright blue spark, if not then you have other issues, like a bad coil or electrical problem from the water that maybe grounding out bare wire? if you happen to need a new coil, i have a almost brand new one for sale hope this helps... good luck!! post back any updates, let us know what the problem was

04 ltz400 DRZE kit, pro taper bars, Nerf bars, stock can with a straw for a header, ripped up seat, slightly over sized battery, 185 jetting with no lid, removed snorkel, bent up skid plates, but its MINE

WIFES: 06 JEEP grand Cherokee lerado,

03 LTZ400: DRZE kit, fly handle bars full sparks exhaust, 195 main, single base gasket, tusk nerfs, bazooka tires all around

DON'T JUDGE ME, it could be bad for your health

****BOOM****
ltz400dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
:::Post Whore:::

It would be a good time to get a new plug, IMO.. Also, when we used to submerge our machines, We would drain the airbox, drain the float bowl of the carb, pull the plug and Spin the motor..They would usually run then, sometimes we would put a hot plug in from another machine if it was temper mental after that. Anyway the plugs looked black and dirty, but would burn off after they got hot...
amcf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement