Help brand new valves and springs kw black diamond - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Help brand new valves and springs kw black diamond

Kibblewhite black diamond valves and springs
Recently had reputable camshaft shop Put new kw black diamond valves and springs and seals. I had them go ahead and adjust the valve. I’ve only ridden my Ltz400 for a half a tank of gas it has no lid hmf slip on and athena bbk 440 on it with 3 layer gasket on head and base. I let my stepson Drive it today and I don’t think he got it out of first gear and he didn’t Hardly ride it like he just kept it probably tacked up a little bit for about 20 minutes and got Hard to start. So I thought first thing. I thought was the valves needed yesterday when I pulled off the left intake valve It was at zero and the right intake valve was at .03. Idk what to Do I just put all this money in here and all the time I don’t know what to do please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

When you say adjust the valves... are talking about shimming them? Sounds like they need reshimmed.. not exactly sure. If they shimmed then to spec they should have been alright for a few, but after you ran it a hr or few should have checked clearances...

I would shim and see if you can bring it back into specs... HR shim kit is like $70 bucks on eBay, comes w 3 of each shim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:48 AM
:::Official Spammer:::

It’s not uncommon for brand new valves to need an adjustment after breaking them in if the valve seats weren’t redone. Sort of like cutting their own grooves in the old seats. Adjust them again and they should last.

If they still go out of adjustment, then either the seats are wasted or they may have lapped them, which shouldn’t be done with coated valves. Even with lapping them, they should still last much longer than that.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:02 PM
CFM
Administrator

Were the valve seats cut to seat up with the new valves? If not, that may have something to do with it. If they go to zero from spec, even once, they're probably already junk. The flow path at low lift is bad, and it has ruined the seat shape as well. You can re-shim, but they're going to do it again. I'd call Kibblewhite and complain.

That said, I won't use Kibblewhite valves anymore. Some people with very mild builds have luck with them, but they won't survive in any of my builds with aggressive cams. I only use Ferrea. I've literally had a situation where I did all the same work that I always do, and built a new engine with Kibblewhite valves. It didn't even make it through a tank of gas before the intakes were shot. Same engine, touched up the valve seats, replaced with Ferrea, It ran 3 years without even needing the valves set, which is the usual if you keep the dirt from getting in.

I've been through this whole scenario twice and it was exactly the same both times. I wanted them to work, because they flow very well, but they don't last. I've had good luck with their springs, but I'll never use their valves again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page