New here need help with 04 lt-z400 - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

New here need help with 04 lt-z400

Hey all, new to this forum. Seeking help with my 04 LT-Z400. It was getting hard to start, but it would start if pulled by another vehicle. Then once it was warm it would start easily with push button. After reading a post on this forum and talking with my buddies, we discovered it might be the valves that need adjusted. So I re-shimmed them. Bike still wouldn't start, tried pull starting... wouldn't start. We did a compression and leak down test and the bike had really low compression. I thought i may have done the valve adjustment wrong, so I broke the bike down again and went through the steps to adjust the valves, I tried to start it up... and nothing. Very confused on the whole shimming thing.
Any help is appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:43 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

got spark?

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Valve timing could be wrong, holding the valve open at TDC, or it could be a bent valve. Either would give you very low compression because the combustion chamber is open. There's a sticky in the maintenance section on adjusting valves with a good how-to write up including pics. What part is confusing?

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
got spark?
yep got spark
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Valve timing could be wrong, holding the valve open at TDC, or it could be a bent valve. Either would give you very low compression because the combustion chamber is open. There's a sticky in the maintenance section on adjusting valves with a good how-to write up including pics. What part is confusing?
Thanks jetmech25. I am unsure of why the bike has the shims,(what are their purpose?) I have re-shimmed now 3 times each time different shim sizes. i Have double and triple checked to make sure I put correct size in there. Do you think valve clearance is my only problem?

SKRRRRTTTT Jag on ya a**
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdiggy View Post
Thanks jetmech25. I am unsure of why the bike has the shims,(what are their purpose?) I have re-shimmed now 3 times each time different shim sizes. i Have double and triple checked to make sure I put correct size in there. Do you think valve clearance is my only problem?
yeah well its not the only one using shims . for the manufactures it likely solves a problem.

you valves are shot ,they only last so long and you are there. get the seats cut and new valves . leaded gas will make valves last longer for new ones but could be hard to get, there are gas additives that claim to do the same thing

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
yeah well its not the only one using shims . for the manufactures it likely solves a problem.

you valves are shot ,they only last so long and you are there. get the seats cut and new valves . leaded gas will make valves last longer for new ones but could be hard to get, there are gas additives that claim to do the same thing
Thanks @cataway
I have only ever run 92 clear, is this what you mean? If i had the seats cut and new valves done at a shop, how much do you think they would run me? Including parts and all that, just your best estimate?

SKRRRRTTTT Jag on ya a**
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 PM

There has to be the recommended clearance to get the valves to open enough and stay open the correct amount of time. You can imagine if there was too much clearance, they'd barely open. Same goes for no clearance, they'd never shut and you'd have no compression.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 PM

I can get you phone numbers ,that's about it

The White Beast
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh i see @jetmech25. What is your opinion? do you think my valves are shot? or maybe something else?

SKRRRRTTTT Jag on ya a**
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah a phone number would be great thanks!

SKRRRRTTTT Jag on ya a**
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdiggy View Post
Yeah a phone number would be great thanks!
Ron Hamp Cycle

ron has a valve that will last for ever

The White Beast
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:36 PM

Racers Edge AZ - Tucson, Arizona Motorcycle, ATV, Rhino Services

they did a head for me . ron was better

The White Beast
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

SKRRRRTTTT Jag on ya a**
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:18 PM

The symptoms you're describing sound like a valve problem.

'05 Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page