Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums (https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/108-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   2003 suzuki ltz 400 problems (https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/108-new-member-introductions/176073-2003-suzuki-ltz-400-problems.html)

alecdroxx 01-25-2019 03:09 PM

2003 suzuki ltz 400 problems

the quad runs great and idles good in 1st and second ear, but once i go full throttle in 3rd 4th and 5th gear it starts to bog down and bang until i let off the gas, if i gently ease into the gas it accelerates great and i can get it to full throttle. i just bought it and as far as i know it only has an hmf exhaust
i have tried cleanin the carb and just beating it to see if it gets better, thanks for the help

tylerltz400 01-25-2019 04:03 PM

sound like a jetting problem

Nowinski02 01-25-2019 04:37 PM

Yes, just as Tyler said it sounds like it could be a jetting problem. Also check the intake as it sounds like it may not be getting enough air. Are you running stock filter, with or without lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alecdroxx 02-01-2019 02:44 PM

i tired it one night with the cover for the airbox off, it ran like total crap it would not let me rev after first gear and would barely moove, there are little black plugs on the cover i removed - 6 of them after thatit ran a tiny bit better. as of right now it is sitting in my garage because the key wiring is messed up or something and the lights, the neutral light and nothing wants to power on.

alecdroxx 02-01-2019 02:45 PM

and yes, it is stock filter and stock exhaust up to the hmf slip on on the back

alecdroxx 02-01-2019 03:06 PM

so i think maybe the guy before me may have put a bigger jet in it already. it backfires after rev in neutral and still the sputtering problem, i have to rebuild my carb anyway and im going to try the jets that came in my new rebuild kit when i get it running to see if that helps.

Nowinski02 02-01-2019 03:37 PM

Thatís a good place to start. Jets should tell a lot about the situation. Also consider an aftermarket filter, even the cheap Uni foam filters for $30 make a noticeable difference. Will run better with the pipe too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetmech25 02-01-2019 09:21 PM

If you took the airbox off (introducing more air) and it ran much worse, then Iíd say you need more fuel (either need a bigger main or a restriction somewhere in fuel delivery). Let us know what jets you have in there to compare with the jetting database.

alecdroxx 02-05-2019 02:37 PM

i have size 130 and 80 jets, i belive those are stock

jetmech25 02-06-2019 09:11 PM

Looks to me like you need DynoJet 145 main and 22.5 pilot, mixture screw 2.5 turns out, and using stock needle or adjustable needle on 3rd clip.

Not sure what the ď80Ē you have is, but it isnít the pilot.

amcf18 02-07-2019 11:38 PM

The 80 is the starter jet, i think, we just ignore that.

alecdroxx 02-13-2019 02:46 PM

ok guys, i made a quick temporary fix until i get the money to buy a jet kit, there are some holes in the airbox and i blocked off most of them with duct tape and the thing is running beautifully, it goes through every gear wide open with not a single sputter at all and it has Way more power. i have also found the problem of why the key wasnt working. there is a green connector and the clip broke off allowing the connection to come undone, i used a little hot glue and put it in the connector and its in there now, and i also fixed the starter button being goofy, before you would have to wiggle the wires to get it to work. it just so happens there is a little black connector box and one of the wires was loose and about to fall out. i shoved it back in and taped the box and that is working great too now. the last issue im having is that there is gas in the oil, i checked the oil the other day and it came pouring out for a little and it reeked of gas. i read online that the petcock is messed up and gas is going into the vacumn line. it said to plug off the lines and all should be well. if you have any recommendations please reply them to me and thanks for the advice

amcf18 02-15-2019 03:29 AM

The gas could be from the petcock, but usually it's the needle and seat or the O ring under it. If you are going to mess with the petcock, just get a genuine Raptor petcock for it, and block off the vacuum port at the carb.

alecdroxx 02-15-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcf18 (Post 1487655)
The gas could be from the petcock, but usually it's the needle and seat or the O ring under it. If you are going to mess with the petcock, just get a genuine Raptor petcock for it, and block off the vacuum port at the carb.

i rebulit the carb so i dont think it is that, ill try a new petcock