New owner - embarrassing story - question - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

New owner - embarrassing story - question

Hey y’all! After a ton of research and Craigslist hunting between a raptor and a z400 I decided the z is the best choice - and found a clean 2005 in my budget!

So yesterday meet up with the dude, got the bike and started to load it. Well, my quad experience has been on a Honda trx250 with the sporttraxx transmission (read no clutch). So I’m not used to having a clutch, plus the z had an add on twist throttle - and y’all know the torqueiness of the z.... anyone pick up where this is going? I get halfway up the ramps, but was to far back on the bike accidentally tweaked the throttle and dumped the clutch. The bike wheeled down my long bed, hit the cab, and slowly rolled off the side of the truck onto the ground. Luckily only thing damaged was the nose guard (justification to buy an aftermarket one now ) and my pride.

So my question is what are some key points to the Z to be aware of or work on? Stuff like, only use this oil, change the oil this many times instead of this, buy this cheap mod it will Change your life etc. and then also a quick lowdown on the adjustable suspension. I ride 80% trail - not looking to drop 500 bucks on this thing right off the bat, but more so I want to take care of my z so what is stuff to look out for and such.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM
::3 Pump Chump!::

Garage
This is why you should stand it up and lift it from the grab bar into the bed of the truck. You dont look like a _____ while it rolls off the back of the truck haha.

Oil I run is rotella (yes the diesel oil), and I always changed it after every race or about every 4 practice rides. Clean the air filter the same way, I away use gas to help keep them filters nice and clean.

If you want to play with the shocks I would do some searching on the site here on how to set the up better quickest thing would be to turn the springs, Ive been spoiled for far too long with have fancy shocks so I am no help.

zs are a bullet proof machine biggest thing to watch is the air filter and time time chain make sure to keep the air filter clean and dont ride the limiter to much on a stock timing chain or you can cause it to stretch quickly. Quick mode is to get an aftermarket cam chain tensioner if you like to run it heavy

ETGSOMB

2006 Ltr 450
Cherry Bomb
13.5 CCP Piston
Hotrod Crank
Prm Summit Front Bumper
Prm Grab Bar
IMS Pegs
IMS Tank
IMS Dry Break
Tag Handle Bars
Jardine Dual Tip Exhaust
Walsh Xc A Arms
LSR Xc Axle
Elka Stage 5
Elka Stage 5
Burgard Steering Stem 0 +1
Precision Stabilizer
Precision Clamps
Two9zero4 Sprocket Guard
Stock Rotor Guard

Practice Ltr 450 Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SPONSORS
Kenda
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Garage
Welcome. There is a lot of adjustability in the stock suspension. Mess with it ans see what you think. Rear spring is good for a 200 lb rider, a little stiff for light guys. Search the forums for info, lots to read here.

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM
:::Rookie Rider:::

Welcome to the forum
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 PM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerltz400 View Post
This is why you should stand it up and lift it from the grab bar into the bed of the truck. You dont look like a _____ while it rolls off the back of the truck haha.

Oil I run is rotella (yes the diesel oil), and I always changed it after every race or about every 4 practice rides. Clean the air filter the same way, I away use gas to help keep them filters nice and clean.

If you want to play with the shocks I would do some searching on the site here on how to set the up better quickest thing would be to turn the springs, Ive been spoiled for far too long with have fancy shocks so I am no help.

zs are a bullet proof machine biggest thing to watch is the air filter and time time chain make sure to keep the air filter clean and dont ride the limiter to much on a stock timing chain or you can cause it to stretch quickly. Quick mode is to get an aftermarket cam chain tensioner if you like to run it heavy
Pfft, what is this lifting stuff you talk about!?

The Beast -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LTR540

Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link -->

Link -->

Link -->
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 AM
::3 Pump Chump!::

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerHardRide View Post
Pfft, what is this lifting stuff you talk about!?

Just not riding is much easier aint!

ETGSOMB

2006 Ltr 450
Cherry Bomb
13.5 CCP Piston
Hotrod Crank
Prm Summit Front Bumper
Prm Grab Bar
IMS Pegs
IMS Tank
IMS Dry Break
Tag Handle Bars
Jardine Dual Tip Exhaust
Walsh Xc A Arms
LSR Xc Axle
Elka Stage 5
Elka Stage 5
Burgard Steering Stem 0 +1
Precision Stabilizer
Precision Clamps
Two9zero4 Sprocket Guard
Stock Rotor Guard

Practice Ltr 450 Sold

SPONSORS
Kenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page