Hello from WI - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Hello from WI

Evening all,
Hello from SE WI, Kenosha County.
I've had a lot of different types of toys in my day, but I now have my first LTZ400. I have some questions and definitely need some help. I work on and repair most of my own things, for example rebuilding a mod motor for my 04 ProX2 700 sled.

This is my first liquid cooled quad.

It's an 04 Z, white. Rebuilt motor 5 years ago. Since rebuild it sat in a garage and was never completely assembled. I got it on a pretty decent trade deal, but it definitely needs work.

It has no bolts for any of the fairings. Not a big deal. i can figure that out.
Gas was starting to corrode inside of the carburetor. I cleaned it by hand then in my ultrasonic cleaner next.
Both brakes seem "dried up" front and rear. Levers just flop around and no fluid in the res.

I wanted to get it running first to see what I had to start with.
After some assembly with tying up wiring harnesses and such, i hooked it up to a battery. It actually fires up right away. Runs cold but good once warmed up.
Had it on a crate so I could test trans function.
As soon as you click it into gear the axle spins. Clutch does nothing. I'm assuming a clutch can become "stuck" after sitting for a while. Can i just disassemble and clean it up and free it up?
When it was running on the crate, the high temp light came on. I shut down as soon as it came on. I did check the fluids before I started it. Full of coolant and oil.
The fans never turned on, so maybe i missed a connector and that may fix that issue.

Any help along the way of bringing this sweetheart back to riding specs would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Garage
Welcome. Check the fuse for the fan. It's in a connection block behind the rad. Sometimes you can ride bikes and the clutch will free up.IF you had a rear brake, that would probably be enough to break it loose. But in your case, you don't even know if all the parts are there to disengage it. I would take the cover off and see whats going on.

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcf18 View Post
Welcome. Check the fuse for the fan. It's in a connection block behind the rad. Sometimes you can ride bikes and the clutch will free up.IF you had a rear brake, that would probably be enough to break it loose. But in your case, you don't even know if all the parts are there to disengage it. I would take the cover off and see whats going on.
I will check it out. Thank you!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcf18 View Post

Alright. She's running better and fans are turning on. The issue now is once it's running and warmed up when you ride it, it will run and drive fine until it hits the rev spot for the "launch control" or 2 step. Not sure what it's called. But any gear it'll rev to that point then just sits at that point. If that makes sense. Not sure how to fix this. It's very frustrating. Is the black button that mounts on the handle bars the control for this? If so, can I just jump that button out?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:27 PM

You mean it hits the reverse limiter? If so, probably a bad gear position switch. Most people just bypass it. I don’t want to go slow in reverse anyway.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
You mean it hits the reverse limiter? If so, probably a bad gear position switch. Most people just bypass it. I don’t want to go slow in reverse anyway.
This is probably the issue. Do you have a link to a write up on how to do it?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 PM

https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums...html#post93816

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page