Suzuki Central Forum banner

Sudden spark loss??!!!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jetmech25 
#1 ·
I'm losing my mind over this and cannot figure it out.

03 LTZ400. Sat in a garage for 5 years not completely assembled.
I got it home and cleaned the carb a few times but there was some corrosion in there. Got it to fire and run and drove around the yard pull starting it (I had no battery for it at the time)
I ran it like this for a few hours in total to make sure the machine would run. Machine had lost brakes, the master cylinders had dried up.

So, since it was running ok with pull starting it just to run around the yard, i figured it was time to fix the necessities.

Ordered a new carb, a new battery, and a new master cylinder for the front and rear.

Took gas tank off, replaced carb. Installed brake components. It now has brakes!

Put tank back on. Machine wouldnt start. Figured i will need to make carb adjustments so thats ok.
I pull the plug, its covered in fuel. Make a couple of adjustments. Check for spark. Spark is no longer existent.

Lost spark completely. Ordered a new coil pack. Nothing. Ordered a new "black box" or ignition control box. Still nothing. I'm losing my marbles trying to figure this out. What would suddenly cause this? I've gone over the harness about 20 times now looking for broken wires etc.

Can i somehow see that the spark signal is going to the black box with a multimeter?
I just dont understand. Help please! thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm losing patience with this machine. Very frustrating. Doesn't make any sense. I've bench tested the stator and that seems ok but don't know if the pick up coil can be tested. If it can can someone share how to do that? Otherwise I'm at a complete loss with this thing.

#3 · (Edited)
You can check the coil’s resistance, both primary and secondary have limits in the manual. If either is out of range, it’s bad. But, since you already replaced it, that’s highly unlikely. The stator can also be tested with resistance, but you’ll need to measure peak resistance. Can’t be done with a standard multimeter.

I assume you’ve checked the simple things like all fuses, kill switch, clutch safety switch, gear position switch, changed the spark plug, etc. The CDI pins in the connectors sometimes become unseated and lose connection, check those, too.

If you’ve checked all of those, I’d either replace the stator or have a reputable shop check it.

Some good info here:
https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/97-electrical/71698-firing-once-then-no-spark-2.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.