Z490 TT build 62hp 42ft/lbs Edit, now 66hp/ 46ft/lbs - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By CFM
  • 1 Post By CFM
  • 2 Post By blackkawi400

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Z490 TT build 62hp 42ft/lbs Edit, now 66hp/ 46ft/lbs

62hp, 42ft/lbs Dyno'd on a Dynomite ATV/MC inertia dyno at CFM Motorsports in Ceylon, MN

Displacement:
490cc, +6 bore cylinder works cylinder with the water passages welded shut, and holes drilled to match the head gasket, and o-ringed. (This was a band-aid, don't use the cylinder works cylinder at 96mm)
+5 hot rods stroker crank, +6 custom JE Piston only available from CFM Motorsports

Compression ratio:
13.5:1

Valvetrain:
Custom Web cams, +1/+2 custom Ferrea valves, all from CFM Motorsports, Kibblewhite springs

Induction:
42.5 FCR originally from a 06 trx450r, 50P, NCVQ 4th, #70LJ, 195M, has an Athena dual stream acc pump kit, and long noss adapter (short fits better)
05 trx450r carb to head boot, FCI intake for a 06+ trx450r shortened 1" No air box, more of a shield

Porting:
+1/+2 porting by CFM Motorsports

Exhaust:
Empire Industries shorty

Ignition:
Dyna Programmable ignition box, curves messed with, set to 10,500 limit (should make it 11)
Stock coil, CR8E

Flywheel:
Trail Tech -16oz

Tires used:
Big heavy 20" Duro street tires on steel rims. (only non knobs I have sitting around)

Gearing:
14/40 JT sprockets, RK X ring chain

I guess it's been a day or two since my last visit. How has everyone been? I don't get out of the shop much, but I have a dyno now, so that makes it more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Garage
Nice!

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Same engine, a little porting update, and a HSR 45mm carb. 66hp 46ft/lbs 😎

spize909 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 AM

Garage
Damn! Congrats, that's crazy! Have you ridden it with the HSR? How does it seem compared to the FCR, besides faster?

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcf18 View Post
Damn! Congrats, that's crazy! Have you ridden it with the HSR? How does it seem compared to the FCR, besides faster?

I haven't ridden it since I made the changes. The last time I raced it, it was like shown in the first graph. It ran really hard. It's definitely a race oriented power band. I was using the limiter for a shift light lol.

It's still sitting on the Dyno. I've had to do other things since I made these last few pulls. I'm running out of things to try other than an out of frame pipe or larger pipe. These runs are made with an Empire shorty, and it sure isn't disappointing in any way. I think a bigger pipe might squeeze a few more out of it but it may hurt it too much, down low, to get off the line decent. Time will tell.

I can say that I have used the HSR in the past, and tested with it, on the prior setup. It didn't gain me a thing until I opened up the head to it's current state. When I tested with it before, The HSR45 actually gave up a little torque and didn't gain anything, anywhere over the FCR 42.5

Now, with the head opened up further, the HSR45 picked up the torque pretty much everywhere. It has yet to be determined just how usable it is for anything besides drag or TT. I don't notice any sluggishness in it on the Dyno, but I'm hitting the throttle at 5k rpm.
spize909 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM
My Mechanic is a Loser!

Send a message via Yahoo to blackkawi400
You know it would’ve been a lot easier just to lose 50lbs Chuck lmao!
CFM and amcf18 like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM View Post
Same engine, a little porting update, and a HSR 45mm carb. 66hp 46ft/lbs 😎

how much space do you have between the carb and head ?

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkawi400 View Post
You know it would’ve been a lot easier just to lose 50lbs Chuck lmao!
I like food though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
how much space do you have between the carb and head ?
I use a 05 Honda 450r carb to head boot that's been opened up some to match the head. It's a little longer, and helps the carb/upper motor mount situation.

It has a fci for a 06+ trx450. Cutting an inch off of that was a good move.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I like food though

I use a 05 Honda 450r carb to head boot that's been opened up some to match the head. It's a little longer, and helps the carb/upper motor mount situation.

It has a fci for a 06+ trx450. Cutting an inch off of that was a good move.
ok , I have an experiment for you . use a longer Carb to head boot . your tq. should go up even more . gas neck filler hose works for me

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
ok , I have an experiment for you . use a longer Carb to head boot . your tq. should go up even more . gas neck filler hose works for me
Generally speaking, the intake tract length does affect power output, and a longer tract does promote torque. I've never messed with changing carb placement very much. I can see where backing it up some could be helpful by the cooling effect that the atomized fuel has to the intake charge.

That said, I've already shortened my intake an inch which cleaned up the curve nicely. If I move the carb back, I would likely need to remove more from the intake, and I can only take so much off, and still get everything to fit together, so I haven't gone any further than some minor length adjustment.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:06 PM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Send a message via MSN to driver
wow, that thing runs strong. Is the porting as far as you can go? whats your intake port volume vs stock? surprised the torque picked up that much, I thought it would be the same just more RPM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
wow, that thing runs strong. Is the porting as far as you can go? whats your intake port volume vs stock? surprised the torque picked up that much, I thought it would be the same just more RPM.
Thanks, I learned something here myself. The port is large, hence being able to make use of a 45mm carb and +1 intake valves, which are really big for an engine of this size. The thing about that is, if you find a gain in flow, you will still pick up torque until you reach the point where you are so big that the air speed just not high enough.

With these heads (4 valve), it's an advantage to be able to make the port large and shaped properly where it's helpful to airflow, although being large in cross sectional area in those areas, while leaving a "choke point" further up the port. In that area, you can have very high air speed, more efficiently, because it's just flowing through a relatively straight path, rather than trying to have your highest air speed trying to navigate around a valve, like in a 2 valve head.

If you think of the shape of a venturi, that's pretty much what you are trying to replicate. The math of the converging and diverging angles, and the size of the MCSA in relationship to the areas before and after it as well as the proportions that help the air around the valves and into the chamber, are where the magic and secrets are.

I'm not extremely secretive. I'm not going to give out my math, but I will tell you this. In the MCSA of my port, I'm only a little bigger than stock. I'm sized appropriately for my displacement and rpm range. But I'm moving a whole lot more air, so my air speed is actually higher than it is in a stock head at 400cc's.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:52 PM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Send a message via MSN to driver
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I learned something here myself. The port is large, hence being able to make use of a 45mm carb and +1 intake valves, which are really big for an engine of this size. The thing about that is, if you find a gain in flow, you will still pick up torque until you reach the point where you are so big that the air speed just not high enough.

With these heads (4 valve), it's an advantage to be able to make the port large and shaped properly where it's helpful to airflow, although being large in cross sectional area in those areas, while leaving a "choke point" further up the port. In that area, you can have very high air speed, more efficiently, because it's just flowing through a relatively straight path, rather than trying to have your highest air speed trying to navigate around a valve, like in a 2 valve head.

If you think of the shape of a venturi, that's pretty much what you are trying to replicate. The math of the converging and diverging angles, and the size of the MCSA in relationship to the areas before and after it as well as the proportions that help the air around the valves and into the chamber, are where the magic and secrets are.

I'm not extremely secretive. I'm not going to give out my math, but I will tell you this. In the MCSA of my port, I'm only a little bigger than stock. I'm sized appropriately for my displacement and rpm range. But I'm moving a whole lot more air, so my air speed is actually higher than it is in a stock head at 400cc's.
Thanks for explaining that. I’ve been getting more interested in engine theory that last couple years, and reading some books. After seeing this thread I went back and reread some of your head porting threads, very interesting. 46 ft/lbs is really impressive, I mean 66hp is too, but I figured that was possible but with less torque and more rpm. Are you still running the counter balancer? Or leave it out to be easier on the cases?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. I’ve been getting more interested in engine theory that last couple years, and reading some books. After seeing this thread I went back and reread some of your head porting threads, very interesting. 46 ft/lbs is really impressive, I mean 66hp is too, but I figured that was possible but with less torque and more rpm. Are you still running the counter balancer? Or leave it out to be easier on the cases?
Some of my old info that I have posted barked up the wrong tree a little bit. I have abandoned the motoman style raised floor, super high velocity stuff. These heads could use a little bit of raise, but I have found that the straighter port that hits the bowl at more of an angle, works better, and is much easier to accomplish. By raising the floor, it makes the air speed too uneven from the top to the bottom of the MCSA.

My heads still have high velocity compared to many, but there is a point where the work spent on the higher air speed, is greater than what you get in return, and it just becomes restrictive.

Yes, I'm still running the counterbalance shaft. I tried removing it once. It about shook my teeth out. I had to race it that way, because I didn't have time to tear it back down first. I cracked a motor mount on the frame doing it. I don't recommend going that route. The only things removed from my engine are reverse and the gear position wiring. I wire my race machines to think they're always in forward gear, purely to have less wires. Removing reverse was the same deal. Just removing unnecessary equipment. I have designed a brace to support the crank case though. So far, so good on that.

I always have enjoyed engine tech. There's a racer forum over on speedtalk.com that is absolutely awesome for engine tech. If you join, you can access the advanced engine tech forum. Not all of it applies. Most of it is V8 oriented actually, but there's some really good 4 and 5 valve info in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page