Got some fcr carbs ned help identifying - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Got some fcr carbs ned help identifying

So the Ebay sellers weren't sure what year these came off. One said maybe a 05 and the other said either 06 or 09 through 13. I want to massage sure I order the correct jetting kit. The guy at dynajet said I'd need ther exact year the carbs came off before I could get the correct kit. My quad its going on is an 05 kfx 400. I contacted keihin they said everyone that could possibly help was in a meeting that I'd have to call back another day lol. I tied googling the numbers on the carb and came up with nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_123942_1558041553367.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	46503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_123929_1558041591911.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	46505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_123906_1558041703642.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	46507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_123825_1558041742621.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	46509  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM
CFM
Administrator

The one with the big box on the side is from a YFZ450 carb model. It's a FCR 39. I can't tell for sure on the other one. It looks like it may be from a MX bike. You should measure the bore of both, because that second one is bigger than the YFZ carb.

The year isn't real important. Most parts for the MX FCR's are all the same. The tuning parts will need to reflect the engine they're being tuned for. There are some sort of standard starting points. You would have to do a little trail and error from there.

Pilot, usually a 42.5-45, I've seen as high as 52 but it was a bored carb and non standard situation.

Needle, I like the NCVQ, which came stock in a 05 YZ450F dirt bike

Leak jet really depends on the build. 35-55 normally. The bigger the build, usually the bigger the leak jet. My 490 uses a 55 in the winter or a 70 in the summer. I've put 35's in 434's or 400's usually.

Main jet, wildcard. I've seen 165-230 depending on the build.

One thing I will recommend is using some sort of bell on the inlet side of these carbs. They don't flow properly without one, and it will dramatically change your main jet requirement.

Noss Machine

The short one from noss machine is what I usually use. It does require some grinding to the carb to get it to fit. I jb weld them in place.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll have to measure them. The guy at dynajet said he never heard of people doing these mods lol that they only can advise for stock applications that the carb came from. I thought the cc of the quad it was being installed in was the only thing that would matter on a 39mm fcr. Allegedly they were both off of 450 yfz. The one on the right with the (big box) the seller thinks it was off an 05 yfz. (so guess I could use that needIe) was thinking of getting the dyno jet kit but am open to suggestions.... Just a lil info my 400 has full yoshi exhaust. No air box more of a homemade water splash guard with fci intake filter and outerwears( that intake is huge). Not sure if i would have room to add the adaptor. With the stock carb and this boot I had to remove the air box to make room for the intake. Its pretty close to the shock now but if you guys are doing it im sure I can find a way to make it fit. I had pretty good luck with the jetting database on this site for a starting point on my stock carb. Was trying to decide which carb to use. I may just go ahead and do the carb mods to both of them any way (tps delete etc.) So if I order a jet kit which kit do you guys recommend and order it for my bike even though its gonna be a fcr or order it for the 05 yfz? Thanks for your help

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Personally, don’t order a kit. It’ll have lots of jets you don’t need and an adjustable needle. That’s it and run you about $90.

You can order the 2 jets you actually need for about $6 each and the needle for about $15. If you find that you’re off on the sizes, go to a shop and swap with them (usually for free).

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 AM
CFM
Administrator

I also would not order a kit. I do this stuff pretty often. NCVQ needle, 3rd or 4th slot from the top, and a handful of jets, like I mentioned above. The adapter is only for FCR carbs, and doesn't add any significant intake length. You will see what I mean by that. The FCR really doesn't work right without one. Fuel customs also has a "transition ring" that is a little more user friendly I think.

I like the 05 honda TRX450R carb to head boot to mount the carb. That FCI intake is great! Make sure you service that filter often and properly! That style of filter isn't as good as foam. The FCI filters do have more layers of gauze.

The carb with the box on the side is YFZ, the other one is not. It may have been on one, but it's from something else.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Didn't the ncvq come stock in the yfz carb? I have some dyna jets laying around from the kit I bought for the kit I bought when I upgraded the intake and exhaust not sure if those will work just as well or not. I'll have to check i pretty sure the carb I bought from a member here "your ad here" but it was bored out to a 41.5 I believe. So would that mean the transition ring was bored out as well with the carb? Guess I'll have to buy a caliper gauge or something to measure it with to see. Thanks for all your help guys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM
CFM
Administrator

The NCVQ comes in a YZ450F from around 05. The YFZ needle isn't one I would recommend. ATV's are subject to emissions restrictions that ruin the tuning.

If the carb was bored to 41.5, you would be able to measure that on the engine side. If it had a transition ring on it, it may get bored as well. It depends on how they do it. There is supposed to be a taper to the bore in these. Some replicate that, some just bore them straight.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for the help if it isn't bored I can throw it on one of the 39mm carbs I bought if it is guess ill he ordering another adapter. Need to get down to my shop and start the mods on the fcr carbs so I can get it on my 400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page