Suzuki Central Forum banner

Web Cams

918 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CFM 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am in need of help for locating webs cams and the purchase of them. I would like to purchase the 536/540 grind webs for my 03' Z400.

The following is my current setup:
440 BBk
Port and Polish head
Ferrea valves w/seats
Kibblewhite valve springs
ProX Cam chain

Advice is welcome on if my set up is good/great for the 536/540 webs, or recommendations on something different. Either way, I want to purchase web cams and need help in doing so.

Thanks very much for your time and advice/support.

V/r
Mike&the Mechanics

#2 ·
There is a ton of info in this thread: https://www.suzukicentral.com/forum...4-cam-specs-all-major-aftermarket-brands.html

I guess it depends on where you are riding and what you want.. Your getting pretty aggressive with the 540/539 combo. ( note I wrote it backwards to what you listed, as i think it more common with the larger cam as the exhaust. ) I think they want you to clay for valve clearance with the 539's, but I'm not sure if everyone does that. Chuck at CFM motorsports is the guy to talk to on Webs, if he doesn't chime in here. He doesn't come out to play very often..

If you buy them and don't like them, I will buy them off you for half price..>:)

#3 ·
Hey amcf18,

Thanks for the information. The information I supplied in my thread earlier came from a thread I found in this forum. You asked the questions, where am I riding and what do I want. To answer the first, most if not all, of my riding will be trails, with mostly soft sand and some small hills. To answer the second. All I want is to seek the best help/assistance/advice from those in this forum that will help me make the best decision on what will/would be the best cam for my quad.
NOTE: I know I read somewhere in the forum that the exhaust number(s) is/are bigger and the intake number(s) is/are smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for your advice and help, all others are welcome..:)

#4 ·
Yes, the 539 is a bigger cam than the 540 so will mostly be run as the exhaust in that combo. Less duration will give you more power at low rpm and less at high. More duration bleeds off pressure making it easier on the starter in a high compression situation. My 536/536 combo gives instant response on the trail from any rpm, but was tough to start in my 462 till I lowered the compression.

#5 ·
I finally got your PM and replied. Sorry, I don't get in here as much as I used to.

I've gotten to the point that I am still using Web for my camshafts, but I'm doing custom grinds pretty much all the time. The list they have on the website works on a 400, but even then, I like them timed differently.

Most of the time when someone comes to me, they already have a big bore or a big bore stroker, and those have different requirements than the offerings that Web has on the shelf, if you're looking to maximize performance. I'm definitely not faulting Web for that. We are taking this engine quite a way from the stock DRZ that they designed these cams for, 19 years ago.

I've done enough work with this engine in the Z, that I've got some cam grinds that I've put together that really perform well for about any build, and I plan to expand on them now that I have a dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.