70HP Z490 Methanol Drag build! - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CFM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Cool 70HP Z490 Methanol Drag build!

This build is on methanol (alcohol) fuel.

70hp, 44ft lbs.

Displacement:
490cc, +6 bore cylinder works cylinder with the water passages welded shut, and holes drilled to match the head gasket, and o-ringed. (This was a band-aid, don't use the cylinder works cylinder)
+5 hot rods stroker crank, +6 custom JE Piston only available from CFM Motorsports

Compression ratio:
13.5:1

Valvetrain:
Custom Web cams, +1/+2 custom Ferrea valves, all from CFM Motorsports, Kibblewhite springs

Induction:
Mikuni HSR 45 with no main jet, a drilled needle jet, and a Thunder Products power valve. FCI intake for an early YFZ, with the insert.

Porting:
+1/+2 porting by CFM Motorsports

Exhaust:
Empire Industries shorty

Ignition:
Dyna Programmable ignition box, custom curve,
Stock coil, CR8E

Flywheel:
Trail Tech -16oz

Tires used:
Big heavy 20" Duro street tires on steel rims. (only non knobs I have sitting around)

Gearing:
14/40 JT sprockets, RK X ring chain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191018_213347361.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	46671  
jetmech25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:05 AM
:::Eiger Rider:::

no videos of it running?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

My dyno testing starts at 5:00 when everyone else goes home. I'm generally by myself when I'm testing on my own machine. I should get it on youtube. It sounds really good! I'm actually testing this for Blackawi's drag bike. It had 60hp before. It looks like it's going home with 10 more horsepower, and a more linear torque curve.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 AM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Wicked awesome!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:59 AM
:::Rookie Rider:::

How do you find jetting the carb? Seems theres not much love out there for the Mikuni. It's a nice build.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
How do you find jetting the carb? Seems theres not much love out there for the Mikuni. It's a nice build.

This build is on alcohol, so tuning is pretty much done with drill bits and a powerjet. But I ran it on gas before that. The parts are available from Sudco to tune the Mikuni to a machine like this. They're more commonly used on Harley Davidson bikes, so the accelerator pump nozzle is way too big, and the needle is usually too rich, the way they come.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:52 PM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Not sure what you are doing for the accelerator pump jet, I drill a smaller hole through the existing hole, then I insert a drill but that fits tight and backs up the original hole, then I solder the bigger hole shut with regular solder. It doesn’t stick to the drill bit

OCTOBER 2009 QOTM

2012 QUAD OF THE YEAR

KFX525 (Kfx/Ltz400)
64.33hp 41.57tq
+10mm stroker, 96mm ice cube
Hsr 48mm carb, big custom webs, ported and welded head, titanium valves, titanium wrist pin. A few more things.

Pics:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drag mode

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

a few years back I used methanol . there was this one YFZ I could never beet so I added the methanol . he took me out of the hole but I got him . it was funny be cause he looked back and here I was a coming . never did get it on a dyno with methanol

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:57 PM

Wish I would have dynoed mine on methanol. O well. I think my next bike will be turboed.

OCTOBER 2009 QOTM

2012 QUAD OF THE YEAR

KFX525 (Kfx/Ltz400)
64.33hp 41.57tq
+10mm stroker, 96mm ice cube
Hsr 48mm carb, big custom webs, ported and welded head, titanium valves, titanium wrist pin. A few more things.

Pics:

Drag mode

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
Not sure what you are doing for the accelerator pump jet, I drill a smaller hole through the existing hole, then I insert a drill but that fits tight and backs up the original hole, then I solder the bigger hole shut with regular solder. It doesn’t stick to the drill bit
The hole was too big on gas. I had the pump backed off to where you couldn't tell most of the time. They do make smaller ones. I found that when I was shopping through sudco for parts that might work with methanol. On methanol, it works pretty good with the original sized hole. I had to turn the pump duration open about 7 turns. I ended up with no main jet and I drilled the needle jet until it ran but was lean, then added the power jet.

Now I'm kind of rich down low, and it leans out towards the top end. I'm going to add a solenoid to the power jet, and use the dyna to trigger it at a certain rpm. That may pick up a little more torque yet.

Methanol is fun stuff. This was making 68hp and 42tq on 110, so it gained a little at the peaks, but where it really helps is down low. It comes in earlier and makes more torque all the way to peak torque, and the effect tapers off with rpm, so it's only a little better towards the top, but you don't spend much time there in a race. The methanol will definitely get him off the line harder.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:19 AM
:::Official Spammer:::

I use a power jet to feed methanol. on idle it ran on gas, but had a rather small main jet. crazy how much methanol ya can feed a motor ,could of should of had two power jets ,yet to purred on top end .

the power jet guy said it would not work, seems to me his issue was the fuel tank with no float valve , he was wrong

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
I use a power jet to feed methanol. on idle it ran on gas, but had a rather small main jet. crazy how much methanol ya can feed a motor ,could of should of had two power jets ,yet to purred on top end .

the power jet guy said it would not work, seems to me his issue was the fuel tank with no float valve , he was wrong
Thunder products has an isolated float bowl that would work good for something like that. They intended it for adding a power jet to something with efi.

I've already burned 6 gallons of methanol just working on tuning, and trying different intakes. Another big surprise is that it didn't want any more ignition timing. I actually pulled some out of the mid range. I moved timing all over the place, and it didn't really care. More timing did absolutely nothing, so I started pulling timing. It liked 33 way up high, which is where I already was from gas. The mid (7000ish) came down a couple, then 5000-6000ish I pulled it clear down to 25ish before I started seeing any loss.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Is your redline spark cut or ignition cut?

When will you buy a 450?

The Beast -

LTR540

Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link -->

Link -->

Link -->
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerHardRide View Post
Is your redline spark cut or ignition cut?

When will you buy a 450?

The ignition is shutting it down, but it's not going to continue to be too useful beyond that point. It's headed downhill. The nice thing with this setup is you can literally use the limiter as a shift light.

I don't need a 450. It's more fun to have a fast 400.

I've built some 450's. I sponsor the Jennings boys. They have been all over in the GNCC, AXCC, and IATVHSS. McCain had to retire for health reasons, which was really unfortunate, but his brother Jace is definitely making a name for himself. He just moved up to the 450's. McCain had a solid points lead in AXCC Pro Am when he quit.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mccain-jennings.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	46677  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page