issue after replacing front pads - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

issue after replacing front pads

ok, so to keep it quick, i replaced a pair of pads last week... didnt have a pair to do the other side... left the piston compressed for a week... did the other side last night... i noticed when i compressed the piston, it would want to push back out 1/8" as soon as i backed off the c clamp. whatever... got the pads in, caliper on, all buttoned up... then, before i dropped the jack, i realized the wheels would not turn easily... both fronts. it almost seems like someone is slightly holding the brakes down. took it for a quick spin, came back, and the same thing.

in my car id expect that compressing the pistons got some dirt in there and my caliper is sticking... but i find it very unlikely that it would happen to 2 at the same time. and its not like they are getting stuck on, after a hard braking period.. its like they are at 50%.

im wondering if leaving the one caliper completely compressed for a week did something? im hoping to let it sit for a bit and see if it "settles out?" , but beyond that, im kind of stumped.

maybe it is time for yfz brakes! haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

I assume you bled the brakes?

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
I assume you bled the brakes?
I didn't remove the calipers or anything, why would I bleed the brakes?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM

You removed thin pads and replaced with thick pads. Master cylinder is trying to return to the same position if you don’t bleed off the pressure, so it’s applying the brakes at all times.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

Last edited by jetmech25; 05-19-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
You removed thin pads and replaced with thick pads. Master cylinder is trying to return to the same position if you donít bleed off the pressure, so itís applying the brakes at all times.
i have seriously never ever once heard of bleeding the brakes for a pad change, and just looked all over the internet and its pretty unanimous that it isnt necessary, but ill give it a shot certainly. ive changed probably 50 pair of atv pads in my day too, and this has never happened before. shrug?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Pushing the pucks in without cracking the bleeder to reduce pressure risks damaging the master cylinder. Bleeding will do several things, including making sure the master cylinder still works. Remove the reservoir cap while bleeding to ensure fluid level is dropping with each squeeze of the lever, just donít let it get low enough to suck in air.

'05 Z
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 AM

Garage
Like Jet said, you should crack the bleeder when pushing the pistons back, dont want to force dirt/rust/ back to the master cylinder.
Dragging brakes are normally stuck pistons, which don't usually change, or restricted brake lines, which will slowly release, after a few minutes.

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page