Suzuki Central Forum banner

opened head ltz400

853 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dede3 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
checked my valve clearance on my STOCK z400, and i had 0mm on one of the intake valve, so i figured i changed all of them.
Im thinking of getting wiseco valve kit cause I trust the brand but mainly they are the cheapest i found so. anybody are running them in their Z? also, could i use my stock springs with those wisecos, or its better to use kibblewhites? im not using any rev box or anything.

And since the motor is open i should get a DRZ base gasket (or just split the stock one, if possible)I belive by doing so im going to get a bit of low end power..RIGHT???... and i was wondering is it worth it to get new rings for that piston?

and is there any other easy\cheap mods like those?

Let me think what you guys think

#4 ·
go with the drz springs. They are a heavy duty double spring that is a good affordable upgrade to stock and if you do choose to add cams or a rev limiter they will handle it.

You may want to check Advantage Cycle out and see if they still offer the drz-e kit. It has a DID timing chain, drz srings, single base gasket....maybe a couple other things but if you have it apart may as well do the chain too.

Wiseco valves are fine but I don't remember if you can lap them or not....there have been a few reviews on them here and if you search you may find more info.

#5 ·
Wiseco makes great valves. I've ran them for 2 years now under hard high revving MX conditions. In May when I had my head off for other issues, they were still in good condition (not in brand new condition but enough to where I could get another season if I lapped them).

If you are on a budget OR you know for sure you will never upgrade your cams or install a high rev box, your stock springs will be ok. They area a good upgrade if you plan on upgrading either components in the near future. Believe it or not, I run OSHCs and still use the stock springs (with no valve float). These cams are probably the biggest cams you can run using tock springs.

If you do decide to install a thinner base gasket, you will likely have to remove the cylinder anyway. A fresh set of rings aren't really that expensive maybe 35 bucks or so? I would definitely have someone run a hone down through the cylinder to clean the glaze off so that new rings can break in properly. Depending on how old your piston is, it may also be a good time to replace it depending on how worn the skirts are. If it is newer or hardly word, a set of rings wouldn't be a bad idea BUT not a necessity.

#6 ·
thanks you the fast response guys...so since im on a pretty tight budjet and that the springs are fine with the wiseco valve, I migh just wait until winter to get the kibblewhites or il order them if im to put revbox\cam.., the way summer is going here, I migh miss this season if I dont hurry up and I definitely don't wanna wait another winter to ride my Z as I only got it this summer and barely toutch it!, so thanks alot guys and by the way, I have a pro-x cam chain waiting for me at yamaha here in town, so will do it while i got my face in there...
Now thank again for your opinion/experience :p

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.