Bogging Help - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Bogging Help

Hello
I am looking for some help here.
I have an 04 LTZ400. Yoshi Exhaust/K n N air filter.
Here is my issue. Bike starts and idles perfect, Takes throttle well until I guess about 1/2 throttle. Anything above 1/2 it bogs out, it does not stall but bogs as if it has had the fuel turned off. This happens while just sitting in the garage or out on the trail. If you play with the throttle the whole time, its much better. Almost normal, but if you hold it at or anything over 1/2 throttle it bogs out like its run out of fuel or been shut off, then after 3 seconds it takes back off then bogs again.

I have read about these issues on here and have tried as many things as I could.
-Cleaned carb
-Tried with fuel cap off ( Same thing)
-Changed spark plug ( Was black and sootie)
-Tried with no air filter at all ( Same)
-Adjusted Air/Fuel scew ( 2 1/2 turns out) ( same)
-Check fuel petcock, seems to be working as it should, if you suck on the line going to it fuel streams out o in the On or Res position, and always runs on the prime
-Choke cable seems to be moving well not pinched and works well when starting on cold morning.

Please help, its my sons quad and it would be nice to have running correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I think I will pull the main jet and see whats in it, then maybe boost it up.
amcf18 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Run that new plug a bit and check it again. If the plug has black soot, it may be too rich already. See if the diaphragm is holding the slide open or bleeding off and letting it fall. The diaphragm or the little o-ring next to it under the big plastic cap may have a rip in it. That may explain why itís better if you blip the throttle a lot rather than hold it steady at half-throttle.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

I changed the plug about 2 months ago, The one I took out looked sootie. I had the carb all apart and did not notice any rips or tears but I will check again when I check too see the jet size thats in it now. Much easier buying a stock machine, this one has been slightly modded, Yoshi pipe, air filter, looks like upgraded CDI box.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Once you get the carb back together, with the intake tube off, just work the throttle with the motor shut off. If you go wide-open, it should lift the slide and hold it there. Even a very small dryrot pinhole will let it fall.
Duffieboy likes this.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Heres a Pic of last plug...Also I appreciate the comments and will check the rubber diaphragm/Boot tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23319099_10159489919660366_5038866775840788330_n.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	45410  

Last edited by Duffieboy; 11-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Once you get the carb back together, with the intake tube off, just work the throttle with the motor shut off. If you go wide-open, it should lift the slide and hold it there. Even a very small dryrot pinhole will let it fall.
Ummm by slide do you mean the black cylinder part. If so it does not move at all when I do this.
And can I do this test off the bike. Is the intake tube the one going to air box or engine. if engine then i did it wrong

Last edited by Duffieboy; 11-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok the small jet up front is 60. Or thats what it looks like. The other one is 150.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Im guessing 60 is way to big. Most i see pepole using is 25. The 150 may be ok. Also from what im reading air filter ect maters. So i have an air filter down in the box just looks normal and it has a top k and n air filter where a lid should be.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Im hoping I found it. Im not 100% sure, but I think my main jet (150) Was 1/2 clogged. I wish I had looked closer, im so use to just seeing a pin hole too look thru that I just looked quick, then I cleaned it and the hole was now huge not a pin hole. I hope that was it, and it was not just my eyes playing tricks. Also Im still worried about the 60 jet which im guessing is the Pilot? Is that not way too big. Hoping for a few answers today that I can try tonight after work. The worst part of all of this is I only have an hr or so after work to try something, and on the weekends here nothing is open so If I want to try jets or something diff I cannot get anything. So anything you all suggest I am buying thru the week in hopes or trying on the weekend.

I also see people comment on how cold/hot it is out as to what you run. Well anyone in canada knows its all over the place. Monday it was 20 degrees cel out, today its -1
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Im still confused about this procedure as well. How will it have vacuum if I take the intake side off.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I guess the 60 is my starter Jet, Pilot is 22.5
amcf18 likes this.

Last edited by Duffieboy; 11-09-2017 at 08:03 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

ANy suggestions would be great. I would like to work through a list of thing to try and slowly eliminate things. Do you think my jet sizes are ok? Should I remove one of the air filters. My boss checked the carb before I did which I did not know, so now knowing this im sure the main jet was prob clean.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Literally just solved this problem a two days ago. Went through all of the same trouble shooting that you did. Turns out that my main jet was clogged but when putting carb back together I put the incorrect main jet in. With aftermarket exhaust and air filter i would recommend at least a 160 main jet. As soon as i put my 165 main jet on, problem was solved!!. good luck man
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Going to buy some jets tonight. Going to try a 130 Main. Back to factory see what thats like. Going to also buy a 160 main, and 25 pilot. If factory dont work I will try jumping it up. See what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page