Brown flakes in tank, been sitting, kfx400 - Page 2 - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

You can leave the cover off while getting it figured out, but what we refer to as the black box (crankcase oil breather) should be on.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Well now I guess the starter went out. I remeber a while back I'd have to tap it to get it going, but only rarely. Today it started once but then it stopped and I could hear it like try to turn, made kinda grinding noise. Then it clicked a couple time then nothing. I tried jumping the 2 cable screws on the relay and nothing happened. I had a charger hooked up, idk if something could have shorted or loosened? But like I said I've had rare issues with it before it sat. Guess I'm gonna have to put in the shop and let the pros work on it..

Are they gonna charge me like 300 for a starter tho? I see em online for like $40. If I supply the starter and throttle cable bout how much should it cost to fix up, the carb/throttle issue and now starter installation. I'm over it.. Just wanna ride

Last edited by tampafan; 06-28-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Starter is crazy-easy to swap. New is like $300-400 for the part. I’d try my luck on fleabay.

I imagine they charge a half-hour or an hour minimum for each part. So, could be as much as $200 in labor. Worth it to do it yourself.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

Last edited by jetmech25; 06-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

200/250 is pretty much what I expected.. Dont wanna pay much more if I don't have to tho. Even if I did the starter myself there's still the other issues. It mostly started when we took the carb out to clean it up after it sat. Someone else put most of it back together and I'm guessing he hooked something up wrong cause the revving issue started as soon as we got it back together.. It wasn't happening before we pulled the carb. It just bogged when giving gas.. Just a clogged jet issue. I tried narrowing it down for a while then gave up cause there's no where to ride here anyways, and it just sat again. Now all this. If it gets running clean again $300 is worth it. Just don't want them digging and adding more money to stuff I don't want em to.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

This has a 1 year warranty.. Site has good ratings
https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...SABEgLF9_D_BwE

Or would used oem be better?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...00+oem+starter

Last edited by tampafan; 06-28-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Just went to crank it again just to see what it does, it turned over once, then did the clicking and grinding /brushing noise and wouldn't turn again. So it is still the starter right and not relay?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Yeah, starter is probably corroded to death inside. Warranties are always cool!

'05 Z
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Yeah, starter is probably corroded to death inside. Warranties are always cool!
Ya now its not doing much at all, tried tapping it as started and the relay just clicks really rapidly.

Sounds kinda like the video here but just the clicking no turnover
https://www.suzukicentral.com/forums.../topics/139985

Looking around forums it seems weak battery is main culprit for rap clicks.. Maybe it's a combo of both for me. It's was sitting but I've been charging it and it had issues even when chargers hooked up.. I'll try charging more tomorrow and try again don't wanna buy a starter for no reason. I'm guessing it's messed up inside tho..

Last edited by tampafan; 06-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 PM

It could be. I guess I assumed you had a charger with a “jump” feature like mine. If the battery sat in a drained condition for very long, it’ll never charge back to a full state. The best it’ll do is about a half charge. If you put a multimeter on it, you’d have your answer. You can always take the battery out and have it tested, usually free.

If it is a starter, it would kill a battery real fast by drawing way too many amps to try and turn over when it is gunked up with corrosion.

'05 Z

Last edited by jetmech25; 06-28-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Ya I'm dumb, seems it was just the battery lol..turned fine a handful of times before it started to get weaker. Now idk if it's worth sending to the shop, if it could be something simple as a hangup in the carb/throttle connection.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:03 PM

I get fed up sometimes and take it to a shop, usually regret it. Youll probably need a new battery anyway, but check it first. Then see if its any different.

'05 Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page