carb problem , and noise from engine - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

carb problem , and noise from engine

hi
1. i have dvx400-same as ltz400-drz400 , 2007
its only start with carb spray , when its cold , then its run perfect , and start with a touch in the starter
for long as it warm.
fuel reach the carb , and when i open the side of the carb which go to the engine i saw that there is a bit amount of fuel in there, not enough to start tho.any thoughts?

2. i have some weird noisein the engine, who goes away when i push the throttle, do u think its related to cam tensenior?

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:25 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

The starting problem you described sounds like a symptom of valve clearance being out of specs.
If the noise sounds similar to rattling a can of spray paint, then the valve timing chain is probably stretched out.

Go to Tools, Advanced Search, and look for valve adjustment and checking timing chain adjuster to see how to check both.

Oh, and the DRZ valve train is a bit different the the DVX/LTZ.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

Last edited by jetmech25; 07-23-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

ok ty very much for reply
i thought its the clearence already

trrtr
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
The starting problem you described sounds like a symptom of valve clearance being out of specs.
If the noise sounds similar to rattling a can of spray paint, then the valve timing chain is probably stretched out.

Go to Tools, Advanced Search, and look for valve adjustment and checking timing chain adjuster to see how to check both.

Oh, and the DRZ valve train is a bit different the the DVX/LTZ.
another thing , why its start with spray carb tho to the clearence?
also when its warm it does start with only the starter

trrtr
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:56 PM

As valves are going out of clearance specs (becoming too tight), it tends to still start when cold. As the valve itself warms up and expands a little, it makes the clearance even tighter. Eventually, it wont start at all.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As valves are going out of clearance specs (becoming too tight), it tends to still start when cold. As the valve itself warms up and expands a little, it makes the clearance even tighter. Eventually, it wont start at all.
aight
iu wanted to do the valve adjust alredy, i ordered the shims ,will update after im done

trrtr
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
It could also be a stuck /dirty choke, not letting it cold start..

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcf18 View Post
It could also be a stuck /dirty choke, not letting it cold start..
if i checked tha valve gaps, at the tappat, and its out of the limits , its probbely the valve adjsment , aint it?

trrtr
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

BTW its a new carburtor -few months , i bought it with this carb

trrtr
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
if i checked tha valve gaps, at the tappat, and its out of the limits , its probbely the valve adjsment , aint it?

Yes.

2007 LTZ 400.. 94mm J&E piston, +4mm hotrods crank, 536webb cams,wiseco valves, 39mm fcr, tokyo mods throttle spring, honda thumb throttle,spring removed. yoshimura full exhaust, honda 400ex intake tube, no air box
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

OK so while waiting for shims to arrive,we bought another dvx400 for a friend, and i noticed that the oil tank cap/dip stick , is way longer then mine, i have puted like 3+ liters in the last oil change , seems odd to me back then , might explain the noise from engine , and thhe fact that there was some oil in vacum line.

any1 know how long the stick should be , and how much oil supposed to be in dvx 400/ltz400?

trrtr
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

found that its around 2000 ml
does this overfill of oil can do some damage?

trrtr
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:09 PM

If you put more than 2000ml in it, it will usually blow it out of the crankcase breather. Still, not a good idea to put too much in it.

'05 Z
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you put more than 2000ml in it, it will usually blow it out of the crankcase breather. Still, not a good idea to put too much in it.
will need o replace my dipstick to original 1

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page