Timing chain tensioner ltz/dvx 400 - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

Timing chain tensioner ltz/dvx 400

so i pulled my tensioner outon my DVX 400 and saw that is dameged at the end of it
so i have order that

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat-...72.m2749.l2649

in the meantime i have puted manual tensioner

so now i dont understand hoe stock tensioner works , just replacing the top , and putting it back on the motor and just snug the spring all the way tillthe nut over the spring as it the end ?
isnt that put too much tension on the chain?
is the stock one is auto tensioner somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_201058.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	46597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_201044.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	46599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_201046 (1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	46601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_201024.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	46603  

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Yes, stock is a spring-loaded automatic tensioner. You have to put it on its shortest setting, install the main body, then install the tensioner spring. If it is fully-extended when installed, it wonít seat all the way unless your timing chain or chain guide is junk.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

so to test it-
i extend it all the way and try to put it in place if it have tension on it its good?
then im taking the spring out , instaling the 2screws on the side,then instal spring and the main screw all the way in?

trrtr
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:57 AM
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Send a message via MSN to bobsz
I would take a look at your cam chain guides. There should not have been any scaring on the end of the tensioner unless the guide is worn and the cam chain is rubbing on it. You did state the end was damaged correct?

03 suz ltz400
dg nerfs
Noss Machine airbox adapter w/ uni
Full HMF Bill Balance ex.
13/41 sprockets
Kenda Kutters
Tag T-2 Bars
Moose bar adapter
Lonestar axle
Ims shifter
int./exh. hotcams
Fcr39
home made gussets
Hot rods stock crank
Magnum bb
Wiesco valves,cam chain
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piki View Post
so to test it-
i extend it all the way and try to put it in place if it have tension on it its good?
then im taking the spring out , instaling the 2screws on the side,then instal spring and the main screw all the way in?
The exact opposite. Shorten it as much as possible (retract it), then install the tensioner without the spring. Once installed, put the spring and center bolt in and ride the bike for a few minutes.
Remove spring first, then tensioner, and see how many clicks you have left before full extension.

I agree, it shouldn’t have wear like that unless the guide is worn through or installed wrong. Maybe the tensioner was forcefully installed while fully extended, which would kill the guide and probably the timing chain.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

Last edited by jetmech25; 09-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsz View Post
I would take a look at your cam chain guides. There should not have been any scaring on the end of the tensioner unless the guide is worn and the cam chain is rubbing on it. You did state the end was damaged correct?
yea it was dammaged

trrtr
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
The exact opposite. Shorten it as much as possible (retract it), then install the tensioner without the spring. Once installed, put the spring and center bolt in and ride the bike for a few minutes.
Remove spring first, then tensioner, and see how many clicks you have left before full extension.

I agree, it shouldnít have wear like that unless the guide is worn through or installed wrong. Maybe the tensioner was forcefully installed while fully extended, which would kill the guide and probably the timing chain.
so if the guide is dammaged
its time for new guide ?
hard thing to replace?

trrtr
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Yes, new guide and you have to remove the head for one of the guides, canít remember which one. If itís the rear guide, new head gasket. If it isnít that one, then youíll need a side cover gasket.

'05 Z
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, new guide and you have to remove the head for one of the guides, canít remember which one. If itís the rear guide, new head gasket. If it isnít that one, then youíll need a side cover gasket.
any reason not to leave it with the manual tensioner atm?
it can solve the current problem , isnt it?

trrtr
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Yes, but I would be highly suspect of that guide at this point. With the manual tensioner, youíll have to stay on top of the adjustments or it could be catastrophic.

'05 Z
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, but I would be highly suspect of that guide at this point. With the manual tensioner, youíll have to stay on top of the adjustments or it could be catastrophic.
naa
i feel the tension on the manual at around half of it...
and no noise with manual atm.....
BTW i never had issues with ths stock tensnioer, just puled it becouse of the valve adjusment ...

trrtr
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

Send a message via MSN to bobsz
I would be cautious if it were me. If the cam chain is riding on the tensioner and not the chain guide there's going to be metal shavings compiling up inside the case. I would at least try and look down from the top to see if the end of the tensioner is exposed. And if your not the original owner that damaged tensioner may just be something that has already been fixed and they just resurfaced that end.

03 suz ltz400
dg nerfs
Noss Machine airbox adapter w/ uni
Full HMF Bill Balance ex.
13/41 sprockets
Kenda Kutters
Tag T-2 Bars
Moose bar adapter
Lonestar axle
Ims shifter
int./exh. hotcams
Fcr39
home made gussets
Hot rods stock crank
Magnum bb
Wiesco valves,cam chain
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsz View Post
I would be cautious if it were me. If the cam chain is riding on the tensioner and not the chain guide there's going to be metal shavings compiling up inside the case. I would at least try and look down from the top to see if the end of the tensioner is exposed. And if your not the original owner that damaged tensioner may just be something that has already been fixed and they just resurfaced that end.
im not the first owner
and i dont think there is some metal on metal cottact(no noise)

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page