low voltage after a while - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

low voltage after a while

hi
i have a friens"s dvx 400 2008
the output from stator is fine by the manual , and when start riding, its hold nice in between 13.6 v to 14.
but after like 2 hours of riding its hase low voltege around 11.3, and only start with jump start.

any idea?

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 AM
:::Official Spammer:::

Check the rectifier, that is what charges the battery while you are riding. Obviously, check for loose battery cables or other connections. I’m assuming you don’t have a bunch or lights and other power draws that are over-tasking the power system.

https://www.google.com/search?source...N0PEPhZa1gAw44

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.

Last edited by jetmech25; 10-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Check the rectifier, that is what charges the battery while you are riding. Obviously, check for loose battery cables or other connections. Iím assuming you donít have a bunch or lights and other power draws that are over-tasking the power system.

https://www.google.com/search?source...N0PEPhZa1gAw44
i checked the rec already,and tryed wth diff 1, no luck, i went all over the wires to find damage one , didnt found any

trrtr
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

and why it happennig after few hurs of riding and nt right away?

trrtr
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Only reasons I can think of:

A slow draw on the battery that is more than the recharging capability of the stator (extra lights, etc).

Loose or corroded battery cables/connectors with too much resistance to allow recharging of the battery at the full rate.

Poor stator or rectifier performance, not putting out enough power.

Battery has been drained too low too many times and wonít hold a full charge. Probably not you issue since it has good power to start when cold.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

aight ty

trrtr
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

hi
i replaced the stator, still low voltege after few minutes(30 or so) it droped to 10.5-11.8 when engine runninig.
any idea?

trrtr
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:20 AM
CFM
Administrator

Are you running any extra accessories that could cause it to draw more voltage than the charging system can make? Before LED's got popular, baja style lighting would cause issues like this.

Another issue I've seen on many different machine types, are bad connections in the stator plug. If there's any evidence that plug has been hot, it would show an issue there. For some reason, they don't use a sealed connector there, and I've seen some actually catch on fire from heat from a bad connection.

I would also test the harness between the stator plug and the rectifier, and also the charge wire from the rectifier to battery positive, for any resistance that shouldn't be there.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

no extra accessories
i will check the plug again

trrtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page