04 ltz400 waterpump? - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By QuadSnort
  • 1 Post By cataway

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
:::Rookie Rider:::

04 ltz400 waterpump?

hello, my quad sips a little coolant at the water pump... wouldn't surprise me if everything is original
should i replace the gasket? the water pump?

if so, what and where do you guys recommend getting the parts?
thank you

http://prntscr.com/pkq8gi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterpump.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	46665  

Last edited by danlexani; 10-17-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Well, the good thing is that it isnít going into your oil. There is a weep hole at the bottom of the pump that starts to leak as the seals go bad. You can pick up a rebuild kit just about anywhere that sells bike parts.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech25 View Post
Well, the good thing is that it isnít going into your oil. There is a weep hole at the bottom of the pump that starts to leak as the seals go bad. You can pick up a rebuild kit just about anywhere that sells bike parts.
thank you.
is the rebuild pretty average in skill? any vids you might know about? i didn't find anything in particular on youtube
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 PM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

I just did one of these, mine was leaking bad. Its the mechanical seal. Be careful hammering it back in. I used a 15/16" socket.

Here is a video I saw on it to give you an idea on what to do.

I also did the RTV thing to the seal on the impeller. Ripped the machine a couple days no leaks. If I can do it, you can do it lol.
CFM likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

thank you, thank you.

dang, thought i might get away with just replacing the cover seal without rebuilding the whole thing...
but it looks like there is no way around having to take everything apart and put it back together...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM

its not hard to do . really the hard part is getting the old seal out . just bend the lip up all the way around Ö.then it should pop right out
CFM likes this.

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:43 AM
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

I'm in the same exact boat right now. Got a very slow drip of coolant coming out of the weep hole. Just ordered a seal kit to rebuild it. Crappy thing is it was supposed to come with bearings, and didn't. Cataway, do you know if I can just use some 10x22x6 bearings (6900RS) in place of the actual suzuki part number (08110-69000)? I would obviously remove the seals, degrease, then relube with motor oil before installing them. These are the bearings I'm looking at getting:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:56 PM

kinda be surprised that the bearings would be bad but you can replace them if you want
10X22X6 BEARING
08110-69000

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:38 PM
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

I think the original bearings are in good shape, I won't know for sure until I open it up, but I figured while I have it apart I might as well replace the bearings. Guess if they're in good shape no sense in replacing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page