moved the carb back abit - Page 2 - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 AM
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedhigh View Post
Adding runner length is all this mod is doing. Adding length to the runner moves the power band up giving more high rpm power but you will lose low end power. The intake boot and filter do nothing except allow more air to flow into the carb. It does not move the power band
Actually lengthening the runner lowers the effective points in the powerband. You've got it backwards.

Your statement about the boot doing nothing is incorrect. The boot is part of the runner, and changing it's length affects the powerband. I've done this for fine tuning for 6 or 7 years now. Changing it by an inch or two has a surprising affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 AM
:::Z-250 Rider:::

On a bigger engine that is true due to them being long runner/large port but on a small engine with small port/long runner power band is moved up. The longer runner does help low end only by allowing more time for the air to sort making low rpm more efficient.

I was talking about the boot from the box to the carb. Nothing before the carb moves the powerband unless its forced induction.

Been building and tuning 1000hp-3000hp drag engines for the last 20 years

04 LTZ 400, 440 BBK 13.5:1, ported head, weisco valves, stage 2 hotcams, fcr39 opened to 41, FMF power bomb, Lexx MXE slip on, 400ex boot with K&N, Dynatek CDI, Full Flight +2+1 A arms, YFZ450 front calpers, steel braided brake lines, blob delete, DR D reverse, ASV levers, powermadd hand guards
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
:::Official Spammer:::

Quote:

I was talking about the boot from the box to the carb. Nothing before the carb moves the powerband unless its forced induction.
i'm going to disagree with you . I know of experiments that mixxer has done that has increased HP by shortening the b4 carb intake boot.
I don't remember what intake he was using but removing one inch from it was better HP

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:28 AM
:::Z-250 Rider:::

If he improved the airflow it will raise HP but will NOT move the powerband in any way.

04 LTZ 400, 440 BBK 13.5:1, ported head, weisco valves, stage 2 hotcams, fcr39 opened to 41, FMF power bomb, Lexx MXE slip on, 400ex boot with K&N, Dynatek CDI, Full Flight +2+1 A arms, YFZ450 front calpers, steel braided brake lines, blob delete, DR D reverse, ASV levers, powermadd hand guards
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:38 AM
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
On a low engine that is true due to them being long runner/large port but on a small engine with small port/long runner power band is moved up. The longer runner does help low end only by allowing more time for the air to sort making low rpm more efficient.

Been building and tuning 1000hp-3000hp drag engines for the last 20 years
This is not a V8. The runner length does not stop at the carb. Its also not as simple as more low end or more top end. You might want to research the physics a bit.

The intake length is all about harmonic waves. At certain points of the rpm range, they're in tune and they help you. At certain points of the rpm range they are out of tune and they don't help.

Changing the length changes the rpm range where those come into effect. You can see these effects in my dyno sheet from 2011. We tried several different intakes before the carb, and the runs reflect what was going on inside.

If you want it in V8 terms, this is like the velocity stack system. Different length stacks have different effects and you tune it to what the engine likes. With those, its a little more like you describe where you can trade low end for high end, because they don't have such a wide span of useable rpm range like we do.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

I'm a certified internet mechanic too!

The Beast -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LTR540

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link -->

Link -->

Link -->
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 AM
CFM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerHardRide View Post
I'm a certified internet mechanic too!
I don't know if I like that dimpled piston and head thing that you do
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM View Post
I don't know if I like that dimpled piston and head thing that you do
The hole is for more flow.

The Beast -

LTR540

Sept. 2011 QOTM
Dec. 2011 QOTM

I pee in the center of the toilet to assert my dominance.

Link -->

Link -->

Link -->
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If he improved the airflow it will raise HP but will NOT move the powerband in any way.
And what's wrong with improving the horsepower? sarcasm

The White Beast
03 ltz400,95.5bore,+5crank,P&P,13.7:1,JE piston,spacer plate,RHC +1 intakes valves,RHC #208in&187ex cams,DRZ manual decomp,DID cam chain,no air box,Sredrum TB 42mm FCR,RAT stack,WB fuel screw,EMN needle,quick shot,06 clutch 450r drive plates w/trx400 ex springs,C2HB,ex thumber,trx450r air boot, Barker Performance pipe, trailteck flywheel,dynatek,NOLOGY HOTWIRES ,nerf bars,450r shocks, +4 swinger,lowered front & rear
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I too have experimented With different b4 intake boots the difference is amazing

The White Beast
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM
:::DVX 400 Rider:::

Very interesting read!

I would like to see if it does make a difference. Doubt if it would be an option for me anyway as the rat stack/ bell housing thing will not allow much if any movement.

Wont be long before people are chopping the rear shock mount up to free up some space....

Free power is the best kind though in my opinion. Hope it works!

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god, protect my ride" -Amen...

03 Ltz, 434 BBk, 12:3:1 JE piston, Cometic /single layer base gasket, Ported and polished head, Ferrea valves, DRZ springs, OSHC's, Wiseco cam chain, Dynatek Cdi, 400ex intake, K&N power lid, ktm 41mm FCR, Monster pipe exhaust, LTR shocks... plus some other stuff.

2003 subaru impreza wrx. . . if in doubt-flat out
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyc View Post
Very interesting read!

I would like to see if it does make a difference. Doubt if it would be an option for me anyway as the rat stack/ bell housing thing will not allow much if any movement.

Wont be long before people are chopping the rear shock mount up to free up some space....

Free power is the best kind though in my opinion. Hope it works!
if you ditch that EX boot for a 04 trx450r boot or even a ds650 boot (shortened) you can pick up some HP

The White Beast
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 PM
:::DVX 400 Rider:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
if you ditch that EX boot for a 04 trx450r boot or even a ds650 boot (shortened) you can pick up some HP
I had one made by samco but never thought it through properly...as usual Attachment 26954

Im finding a bit more power here and there.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god, protect my ride" -Amen...

03 Ltz, 434 BBk, 12:3:1 JE piston, Cometic /single layer base gasket, Ported and polished head, Ferrea valves, DRZ springs, OSHC's, Wiseco cam chain, Dynatek Cdi, 400ex intake, K&N power lid, ktm 41mm FCR, Monster pipe exhaust, LTR shocks... plus some other stuff.

2003 subaru impreza wrx. . . if in doubt-flat out

Last edited by markyc; 07-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spize909 View Post
Did you remake your transition piece inside the intake?
the spacer . I made it to taper on its inside ,because the carb bore is abit bigger than the head.

I also installed the power jet

The White Beast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page