Relocated Black Box New Pics! - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
and just like everyone said it didn't work. It took about 5 minutes for the oil to come thru the breather filter. I did it exactly (as much as I could tell) like LTZguy. He musta just got lucky!!
So I used some of the surplus tubing and moved it. As much as I'm having to mess with my new carb I just couldn't have it there. The 1/2" air hose will be changed at some point but it works and was free.
I am going to come up with some kind of bracket but this may be where it stays. I have to see how it looks once the plastics are back on.

Anybody see any reason why this wouldn't work?

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 AM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

i have an idea for you. its a bit of trouble, but i think worth trying. make you to square u brackets with legs on each side, have you ever seen an aftermarket set of valve cover for a small block chevy? they ahve this sort of baffle im talking about. make it about a half inch tall, barely wider than the vent tube holes. mount it on the inside of the valve cover and cylinder, right over the holes. the idea is to block oil from directly getting thrown ito the holes. my dand race car would spit oil all over with just a breather filter and cheap valve covers, i got some good ones with this sort of baffle and no more spitting. if mine spit oil out this is what i would do. i guess i got lucky. i dunno.

OCTOBER 2009 QOTM

2012 QUAD OF THE YEAR

KFX525 (Kfx/Ltz400)
64.33hp 41.57tq
+10mm stroker, 96mm ice cube
Hsr 48mm carb, big custom webs, ported and welded head, titanium valves, titanium wrist pin. A few more things.

Pics:

Drag mode

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 AM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

something like this. im not that great in paint by the way...

OCTOBER 2009 QOTM

2012 QUAD OF THE YEAR

KFX525 (Kfx/Ltz400)
64.33hp 41.57tq
+10mm stroker, 96mm ice cube
Hsr 48mm carb, big custom webs, ported and welded head, titanium valves, titanium wrist pin. A few more things.

Pics:

Drag mode

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I get what you're saying....but you want me to screw a baffle to the inside of the lid of my valve cover? I don't think so.
What if the bottom hole on the crank case were plugged and just the top had a breather with this baffle thingy that you are proposing (for my engine). I mean it's just a closed loop to keep the oil and the (environmentally) harmful fumes from escaping right. Really all you need is a vent.

Might not be a bad idea...................

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

QUOTE (spize909 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:15 AM)
Quote:
I get what you're saying....but you want me to screw a baffle to the inside of the lid of my valve cover? I don't think so.
What if the bottom hole on the crank case were plugged and just the top had a breather with this baffle thingy that you are proposing (for my engine). I mean it's just a closed loop to keep the oil and the (environmentally) harmful fumes from escaping right. Really all you need is a vent.

Might not be a bad idea...................[/b]

I'm sure you can find a spare one either on here or on ebay for pretty cheap if you want one to just try it on first.

04 LTZ508

+10.6mm Falicon Crank, 94mm Cylinder Works Cylinder & Wiseco Piston, Dynatek FS Programmable Ignition, Trailtech -16oz. Flywheel, Barnett Carbon Fiber Clutch, 4/5 D.I.D. Cam Chain, Advantage Cycle Ported Head, +1mm Ferrea Valves Int/Ex, DRZ Valve Springs, Old Style Hotcams, Edelbrock Carb, 400ex Airboot Custom fit to airbox, Uni Filter, HMF Full length Exhaust, 14/40 Gearing w/ 20" rear tires, Maxxis RazrII's on HiPer Racing Wheels, Houser LT +1" A Arms, Front Elka LT w/ Rezzys, Suzuki Aftermarket Front Bumber, AC Nerf Bars, DG Skid Plate, Armadillo Swingarm Skid

And I am sure I have forgotten something!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:58 PM
:::Post Whore:::

You could cap the lower line and return the oil through the valve covers vent tube, or splice into the oil return line to the tank.
The bad thing is, that will be cutting down on crank case venting. These motors produce a ton of case pressure, so cutting down the venting may increase the chance of high rpm ring flutter, and the possibility of blowing oil through the black box.

As far as relocating it, just make sure it's upright so it can drain the oil properly.

2003 LTZ 400
Wiseco 13.5:1 90mm piston, +4mm crank, DRZe gasket set, Ported head, HotCams, UNI POD Filter, MotoWorks muffler, Swirl polished valves, Dyna CDI, Maxxis Razr tires,LTR shocks front and modified TRX rear, 15/38 gearing, TAG Front Bumper, TAG Skid Plate, MCCT mod, Pro Circuit Headpipe, FCR39 -165main 45 pilot 1.25 turns out

J&J Racing #505
13yrs personal engine experience

Dirty Penguin Race Team Member
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
right now it is in almost the same position as it is stock (see the pic?). The only difference is the crank tube is much longer and the other tubes are the same (stock tubes).
I just have to come up with something a little better then zip-tys...........although I'd be fine with them if it didn't show, like my cdi which is zip-tied.

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah, duh I see it.
I relocated the Rectifier, CDI, and soon to be black box inside my airbox.

2003 LTZ 400
Wiseco 13.5:1 90mm piston, +4mm crank, DRZe gasket set, Ported head, HotCams, UNI POD Filter, MotoWorks muffler, Swirl polished valves, Dyna CDI, Maxxis Razr tires,LTR shocks front and modified TRX rear, 15/38 gearing, TAG Front Bumper, TAG Skid Plate, MCCT mod, Pro Circuit Headpipe, FCR39 -165main 45 pilot 1.25 turns out

J&J Racing #505

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
QUOTE (zophar @ Nov 13 2009, 01:53 PM)
Quote:

Yeah, duh I see it.
I relocated the Rectifier, CDI, and soon to be black box inside my airbox.[/b]
Where's your air filter?

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:06 AM

The airbox has been chopped back into a splash gaurd. the intake is a straight tube with a uni clamp on filter. it comes into the front left top of the box. the rest of the box is open for the cdi and such.

2003 LTZ 400

J&J Racing #505

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I looked all over for a good place to put it back there.....thought about relocating the rear brake hydra fluid ressie and putting it there. That FCI tube/filter take up pretty much all the room under the seat.
It only ended you where it is because the tubing kinda worked just right to go there....it'll get a real good testing at Glamis in a couple weeks.
Sure is nice not having it in the way of everything. I don't care what anybody says, y'all know it's a pain in the ass.

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM

I agree man!
I dunno, I looked at it again last night and I've got room for the tensioner bolt, so I'm not too worried about it.
It would be nice to get to the carb fairly easy though.

2003 LTZ 400

J&J Racing #505

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I was thinking of cutting a piece of aluminum and using a couple self-tappers into the frame above where I have the box and then running it down to the box and putting the bolt thru to the threaded hole in the box.
Not sure how I'd keep it from moving side to side though...........

It's done...hopefully I never have to touch this thing again. The only thing I'm worried about is the proximity to the pipe, though even in the stock position it's right over the pipe, just not right at the head.
I may have to find a couple stickers to mask my shoddy metal work though.

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Not bad lookin'
Once you get some black tubing on there it will look cleaner.
Right now that tube shines like a diamond in a goats butt.

2003 LTZ 400

J&J Racing #505

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Up here in the big city we try to stay away from goat's butts.

Thanks

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page