Suzuki Central Forum banner

Lower Ball Joint Mod

103K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  diso 
#1 ·
This thread is from all the combine info from this site put into one post. Im not trying to take credit for anyones ideas, just putting them in a how to with pic's to help the next guy! maybe it should get pinned for the guy a year from now?

WHAT YOU NEED:
*2003-2004 uses ricky stator honda joints [RS3002]
*2005 and up uses ricky stator yamaha joints [RS3003]
(Other stuff may work including tie rod ends from your whatever in the back yard but the ones above work great and are a ball joint maid for an atv at 20 bucks each)
*M16X1.5 mm tap for any year(15 bucks)
* 2-M16X1.5 jam nuts or cut down the ones they come with.
*9/16 drill bit and some smaller sizes to work up to the 9/16 final size
*touch up paint
*lock tite
* about 2-3 hours of time per side

LETS GET STARTED

Remove your lower joint with a fork, puller, or hit it with a hammer, no matter, its junk anyway! Then remove the arm.I don't recommend trying to do it on the quad!!

Tape the dust caps on so they don't fall off.

find center of the ball joint to the back of the arm.

Cut the old joint off at 1/8 inch past where the taper stops. If you are unsure if you can cut it right, cut it right were the taper starts and finish with a grinder. At this spot you will meet up with the factory hole from behind.

Secure the arm to the bench so it can't move around.

Now drill with a SHARP 1/2 inch bit from the front, then the SHARP 9/16. Go slow, check as you go, and use cutting oil. If you push to hard you will wreck your bit, this is hard steel!

Once you have a nice 9/16 hole get your tap and cutting oil or tap lube and very slowly tap the hole. Turn the tap 1/4 turn at a time and back off to clean the thread. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME!

Now thread the new joint in and make sure the nut fits flush. If it doesn't, hit if with the grinder and run the tap to re-clean the thread.

Paint so it doesn't rust.

Now make sure you have the same space end to end as when you started and snug the nut. You will want to get a jam nut of cut yours down to get exactly back to factory spec. The ones that come with it are too wide.

Install with some lock-tite, make sure everything is tight and take a big breath, Your done!!!

See less See more
#32 ·
i believe i have also fell victim to a defective lower ball joint, and luckily came across this mod. problem is i have an 03 z and the part number is coming up as an LDV van disk brake. does anyone have any more info on the part i need? im in th uk so the honda part nunmber would probably be the best help... please & thanks in advance.

#33 ·
☝☝☝ can anyone offer any help? :rolleyes: please...:)

#35 ·
Moog es2074r seller was partsorama just remember to specify rh thread
I ended up with one of each lucky engineering shop had lh tap
also thread pitch is a wierd one in UK. it worked out a lot cheaper to get shop
to do it guy took 20 a side couldn't buy a tap for that lol
wherabouts in UK are u?

#36 ·
Nice one, your a star! Can't remember which post i recognise u from, your quads on the trailer and noticed the uk plate. Im from warwickshire mate, little old nuneaton, blink and you'll miss it lol. Where u from? And where do you ride?

#38 ·
glasgow, jesus! it must be freezin up there lol. i had a look in your profile quad look good, is yours road legal? you have a lot of farm land up your way so it wouldnt be too bad if not. we do alot of green laning mainly.
i put that part number in ebay but just international sellers but ill try my local spares shop tuesday and should be able to order it in with a correct part number, so cheers for that!
dont think its hanging off yet but better get it sorted, wouldnt wanna crash:D lol.

#40 ·
Im not sure how to search for a seller but part number worked. Me and computers dont get on, im 2 parts cave man :D
Need to get loads of parts together and do it all in one big hit i think. Turning into a death trap!

#41 ·
I'm the same man useless unless it has an engine lol
mine was the same I traded a spotless kxf 250 for it
Seen it heard it and wanted it got it crashed it now spending money on it
Really shpukdve looked it over bit better being a mechanic lol
but its getting there now newest thing is oil pissing out seal at clutch arm
but I figure that's down to previous owner leaving carb drain screw loose n leaking petrol
has made seal perish seal bought fir one pound off eBay
fix that this week n see what else will go next week. lol

#42 ·
yeah, its never ending, as soon as you get it running right, it starts to fall apart... its worth it though, all good fun:cool:

#45 ·
I have one of these shot on my quad which I am surprised because I barely ride it. I could have blown this ball joint out years ago and I just noticed its shot. What happens if I choose not to replace this, and what kind of damage am I looking at?

#47 ·
Review

Ok did this mod last week. Let me say take your time! Before doing this go out and buy CUTTING OIL for thread tapping and drilling. Makes a world of difference. After putting all new ball joints brakes bearings and steering stem bushing my quad feels like it came off the showroom floor!

#53 ·
has any one done this lately. i have seen in this post that people saying the Ricky stater rs3003 doesn't work correctly

can anyone shine any light on this for me as waiting to order parts and don't want to order wrong ones ..

is there a big difference between the two ricky stator rs3002 and rs3003 as in length width treads etc ..

thank you in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.