My first flat track race - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
:::Mini LT80 Rider:::

My first flat track race

Well I did my first quad race at the local fair on Monday night. It was a flat track race. I pull up in the pits only to see these full blown race quads and rigs. Lol. I was super intimidated. I'm on a stock z400. So I took my straps and compressed my suspension all the way down and went out for practice. Keep in mind I'm still running knobby tires. Out there on the track o felt like I entered a NASCAR race with a go cart. They were passing me like I was sitting still. Well it's time for my heat race. Well all the "fast race guys" took off there slicks and put on knobbys (i entered the knobby class) the intimidation leve sky rocketed. Well. I went out there and raced. I got 4th in my heat.......out of 4 quads lol. But they didn't just leave me. I hung in there with them and almost passed 1. Never been so excited about loosing before. I got the racing bug now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
:::LT500 Rider:::

haha sounds like you had fun! i was supposed to go try out flat track with the okie but i had to cancel on him. but hopefully i will get to soon. i will definately be in the same spot as you, as my z has 450r shocks and.. thats about it

2004 z400- 450R shocks, yoshi slip on, FCR 40, Port and Polish by me, Fly bars, 400ex based intake, blob delete
2005 Honda 450R- under construction
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

It was a blast. Wish I had the money to set up a quad just for flat track. But I like woods and a little mx too.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 PM
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

Way cool! You got the bug so hope your not married....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster Ben View Post
It was a blast. Wish I had the money to set up a quad just for flat track. But I like woods and a little mx too.

04 DRZ 400
Bone stock!
03 Z 400

Web Cams 540/539
Hot Rods +4 crank
95mm BBK
42mmKTB carb
FMF Core 4 w/power Bomb header
KW valves
KW dual valve springs w/titanium keepers
Big Gun CDI
Uni-filter
Someday I'll do something with the suspension
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Powder coat frame and A-arms
AllBallsRacingswinger
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
:::Ozark 250 rider:::

There is one going on in the fair at Jamestown TN tomorrow night at 6. I was going to go but i broke my flywheel key. I just put a sway bar on too! I've been hearing about a track around Cookeville TN on 111. I havent raced flat track yet but one of these days I will. I love doing the atv rodeos around here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM
:::DVX 400 Rider:::

Glad you had fun, I got the track promoter to start flat tracking quads 4 years ago. First year all the guys ran knobby fronts but we had to run hoosiers or something equal in the rear. The first year was the best cause we were out there having fun. Then the next two years I raced my quad was like you said the others were slammed to the ground sway, hoosiers all the way around. It is a blast to do but it will get expensive if you want to be competitive.

KFX 700-rock nerf bars, cobra atv bumper, maier front hood, hmf duals, fst 730 kit, fst stage 3 cams, 36mm carbs, boondockers 30 hp nitrous shot. Custom plug 11 swing arm. 26" 16 paddle stu blasters.

Blue Mamba
KFX 700- tusk bumper, alba nerf bars, hmf duals with k&n airfilter. timing advance key.

Z400- bone stock.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Yea that's all I seen out there was $$$$$$$. And a lot of it. I enjoyed it but don't have the money to dedicate a quad for it. If I'm going to race of course I want to be competitive and sad to say I can't. Don't make that kinda money. But going to a mx race this Saturday and then running the winter Xc series and see how I like them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
:::Z-250 Rider:::

Sounds great, post some pics!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
:::LT500 Rider:::

Glad you went out there and tried it, it is a blast like you say! If its a short track you don't need a ton of power to be competitive. In reality you could set your bike up for mx, then throw on a sway bar and race it flat track. If there are any big tt tracks around there do yourself a favor and race that at least once.

Ivan, there will be a couple indoor races in kellyville this winter you can race. We still need to ride somewhere sometime.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Yea I want to do a tt race too. I have done 2 mx races now and love them. Way more fun than flat track. That's why I wanna try tt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page