tdc on exhaust - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

Garage
tdc on exhaust

Since i didn't found exactly what i wanted to know, ill make this post somebody will probably end up like me. So i disassembled my engine 2 weeks ago, put it on tdc but i didn't know that there was a tdc for exhaust stroke and one for compression... first quad and never had something that run gas. So it' in 3000 pieces in my garage (cylinder and head off, and i wanted to know what should i do ? dont want my piston to end up in the valve since i just bought kibblewhite valve and spring.... thanks a lot guys

what up mofos !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 PM
:::Z-250 Rider:::

It dosent matter. As long as you have it top dead center and, do a search to find out which way the cam lobs face.

09 Ltz 462 - Ltr throttle body, +1 valves, kibble white valve springs, +4 hotrods crank, Athena BBk, 539/539 web cams, port and polished head, dynojet power commander 5, barker exhaust, shortened 700 raptor boot, 3 layer base gasket.

May 2014 QOTM Winner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
They were facing each other, i just found when they faced out because they were on the compression stroke

what up mofos !

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
If the flywheel is at TDC and you put the cams back in correctly (facing out) it doesn't matter.

I asked the same question the first time I had mine apart!
Valhalla likes this.

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's great as f*ck !!!! what a great news !!!!!! Thanks a lot spize, i tought i screwed everything

what up mofos !
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM
:::Eiger Rider:::

Garage
I didn't think it mattered either, but somehow my 434 build was messed up. I had the flywheel at tdc and cams set right, but it wouldn't fire and just sucked in through the exhaust. I had spark, fuel, air, checked every wire and tried 3 different CDIs. I finally pulled the cams out at tdc, rolled the motor over once and then put them back and it fired right up and ran like a champ. I still don't really know what happened, but it was a 20 minute fix.

2001 Mojave sold

2002 XC Race prepped Mojave with all the toys sold

2003 stock Z400 sold
03 XC Z434 with FCR42, Elkas, Hipers, Roll Design everything and custom hydraulic clutch
05 XC Z400 with Fcr39 ported head, Rekluse, Ars-Fx LT with Stage 5 Elka fronts and Exit rear

GNCC #433
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
IF the piston is up at TDC and you put the cams in correctly it does not matter. How could it?

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Because it would be in the exhaust stroke and not in the compression one... i just hope i wont damage my valve, i think ill let the stock one to do that and replace them with the kibblewhite after

what up mofos !
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Garage
The crankshaft does not have an exhaust stroke, that is determined by the cams.. The piston only goes up and down..The cams are geared 1/2 to the crank, so your cams are either facing in or out when you hit Tdc.. You assemble them out so you can measure clearance..End of story..
spize909 likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Take a look at your suzuki maintenance manual... everything you need to know is explained in that fabulous book!!
If you don't have one... download or buy one... but don't f**k your engine because you don't have the proper informations or procedure.
spize909 and matt 01 like this.

Nismomick

2009 LTZ400

- Stadium Suspension - JD performance +2 A-arms - LEXX MXE - FMF PowerBomb - K&N Air filter - HV porting - Trail and winter kit - CST pulse tires

I'm a french guy from Québec, be indulgent with google translate!!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah i have one, sorry for asking a question to be sure of what im doing since its my first quad and it happend to make mistake in those case. I just didnt found what i wanted to know so i asked that here in hope of help. Looks like i'll stick to the manual for now.

what up mofos !
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:11 AM

Garage
I have a manual, but there are a lot of things I need to ask about too, don't worry!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 AM

No worries, just clarifying. As amcf said, the crank and piston only show TDC. The cam position is what decides which stroke it is. After all, the only difference in strokes is which valve is open at what time (determined by cams). If you get to TDC and the cams are pointed in, crank it over one more time, and they'll be pointed out.

'05 Z
94mm bbk, +4 stroker, Hot Cams, Vertex piston, FMF Power Bomb header and Power Core can, KW black diamond valves/dual springs, FCR39, K&N, Elka long-travel LT fronts and rear, Houser +3, +3/4 LT A-arms, American Star pro xs chromoly tie rods, Dyna non-programable, Tusk +3 axle.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
okay ! thanks man for clarifying this i wasnt sur for that... dont want to mess anything. i just bought some new stage 2 hot cams... waiting for them to rebuild everything !!! thanks a lot guys.

what up mofos !
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanonator View Post
Yeah i have one, sorry for asking a question to be sure of what im doing since its my first quad and it happend to make mistake in those case. I just didnt found what i wanted to know so i asked that here in hope of help. Looks like i'll stick to the manual for now.
Hey body, sorry about my comment, the only think i want to explain is the importance of the maintenance manuel, cause i don't know how many peoples come see me with a box of pieces and ask me to make a working engine with that. Always for the same reason: they didn't read their manuel or understand what they do. For sure it's a good question you asked and guys here gave you the correct answer, don't stop asking but remember theirs a lot of impartant things and description in the manuels.

And sometime on youtube haha!! here's a video that show what peoples here talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAMyMrhE1M

Nismomick

2009 LTZ400

- Stadium Suspension - JD performance +2 A-arms - LEXX MXE - FMF PowerBomb - K&N Air filter - HV porting - Trail and winter kit - CST pulse tires

I'm a french guy from Québec, be indulgent with google translate!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page