Suzuki Central Forum banner

Z400 won’t run right

911 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JDMac34 
#1 ·
s_rider
:::Rookie Rider:::
Join: about 7 hours ago

about 6 hours ago · #1
I have a 05 Z400 it’s had some problems since the day I bought it but not as bad as they are now the old carb what crusty and the jets were way to big so I bought a new one with all stock jets and now the bike starts go to pop and crack while in mid range rpm unless it’s in neutral than I back fires real bad when the rpm drop tried adjusting the idle and fuel screw but nothing I’m running it with the air box lid on and it has a big gun slip on besides that all stock the snorkel has been cut off close to the air box. Also the stock head pipe after a few minutes gets red hot even when the bike ran semi good And it kinda gives off a sneezing sound and almost dies or does

#2 ·
I'm not a carb wizard, but it sounds like you are running lean. Do you know what jets were in the new carb when you put it in? The snorkel mod and exhaust allow a lot more airflow through the engine and it will probably need new jets. The fuel screw is mainly for fine tuning, not compensating for mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.