04 LT-Z250 Won't idle - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
DmC
:::Rookie Rider:::

04 LT-Z250 Won't idle

My Z250 won't idle. it will only idle if the choke is engaged as soon as you disengage the choke it dies, ive tried adjusting the idle screw from way to low to way to high and it makes no difference. Ive cleaned the carb, checked all the boots, and have even done the raptor petcock mod but nothing has fixed it, it still will not idle. Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 PM
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
The cable is good at the thumber? If you give it a little throttle and hold it will it idle?

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 PM
CFM
Administrator

Are you sure you got the pilot jet clean? The same goes for the fuel screw. Also, where is the fuel screw set? Your problem lies with one of those things, I'm pretty sure.

The pilot jet is easy to miss. I'm not familiar with that carb, but sometimes they are hidden up in the housing. Also, it's a tiny hole, and hard to verify if it's open. This is normally the first thing to plug when a carb gets yucky from sitting.

The fuel screw is an adjustment that directly supplies fuel for the engine to idle on. Turned further in restricts fuel and makes it leaner. Turned further out adds fuel and makes it richer. Generally these will need to be somewhere between 2-3 turns out as a base line. (It has to come through the pilot jet first). I've seen some people tighten this up instead of setting them. Again, not being familiar with this carb, if it has a fuel screw, it would be between the bowl and the intake side of the carb, usually sticking straight down in front of the bowl.

Now days, it's often for the passage leading to this screw adjuster to be plugged. (Thank the EPA for that) To be serviced or adjusted, the plug has to be pulled out. A drill bit and a wood screw will get the job done. If the fuel screw gets dirty, it will need to be removed, cleaned, and re-adjusted. Starting at 2-3 turns out will get you idling. I like setting them to the fastest idle speed with the engine running.

The only way it wouldn't have a fuel screw adjustment would be if it has an air screw. These are usually sticking out the side of the carb near the idle speed adjuster. These also have a specific setting. They meter air to the idle circuit.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 AM
:::Rookie Rider:::

Similar issue with me. The carb was the prob. Had the carb cleaned and while doing so a broken screw was found inside. Now it starts very quickly and purrs like a kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page