How to Change your Clutch - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

How to Change your Clutch

Clutch Replacement, How-To Tech

Alright, here we go changing the clutch plates and fibers. This is, or will be, routine maintenance for all of us at some point. Itll need to be done, and its ridiculous to pay someone else to do it. Before you get out there and toss in a new clutch, make sure you soak the fiber plates for 24 hours in the oil that you typically run in your bike.

First things first. Have quality tools to work with. Good tools wont tear up your parts. Youll need a crescent wrench, 10mm and 8mm sockets, and a 5mm allen socket, in addition to the ratchets and extensions.

Drain the coolant and the oil. Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator (easier than taking it off the water pump).

Remove the rear brake lever, and get it out of your way. I was too lazy to try to find a socket for the small nut on the back of it, so I used the crescent wrench on the nut. The bolt head on the lever side is a 10mm. Its easier to unbolt the master cylinder from the subframe than to take the brake lever out of the master cylinder, so just unbolt it from the subframe. DO NOT lose the rubber o-ring in the back side of the brake lever mount keep an eye on it. Now the brake lever is outta the way, so you can get to business

These 13 (8mm) bolts need to come out to get the clutch cover off. Theyre circled in green, yellow, and red. The green and yellow bolts are all the same size and length the yellow bolt has a fiber washer on it, so keep track of it, and put it back in the same place. The red bolt is longer than the rest make sure it gets back in the right spot it has to pass through the water pump cover, side case, and into the block, so its longer. None of the other bolts need to come off to get the cover off leave them in the case.

Okay, once you get the 13 bolts out, its time to SLOWLY remove the cover. Put a drain pan under it, because you will get some oil leaking out. Remove it slowly so you dont tear the gasket. If you dont shred it taking off the cover, you can reuse it. There are two (2) dowel pins in the case. There is one at the top left, and one at the bottom right. Remove the cover evenly, or it will get stuck on one of the dowel pins, just making it harder to get off (and increasing your chances of tearing the gasket). Heres what youve got once the cover is off. These 6 (5mm) allen bolts hold the clutch spring and clutch drive plate on the bike.

There is no torque spec specific to these bolts, just tight, according to the manual. Remember that when they go back on

Remove each bolt, spring retainer, and spring, the drive plate will slide right out. I cheat when I take them out (but I DO NOT use that thing when putting them in!):

Once you get all the springs and drive plate out, remove the clutch fibers and steels. There will be 8 fiber plates, and 7 steel plates (for 03s and 04s 05s will have an extra fiber plate in there).

Heres what it looks like with the fibers and steels out:

Notice that I stuffed paper towels in the bottom of the case oil will continue to pool there, and drip out of the case, down your frame. Stick a clean rag or paper towels in there to keep it from dripping. If you use paper towels, make absolutely sure you get ALL of the paper towel out when youre done.

Time to put the new clutch fibers and plates in now. Start with a fiber plate first, then a steel plate, etc. Alternate until you get 7 fiber plates and all 7 steel plates in. You should have one fiber plate left Notice how the tabs on the first 7 fiber plates went in? The last fiber plate goes in with the tabs in the clutch hub, like this:

That last plate doesnt go in like the rest. Notice that look at the plates when you first take the cover off. Youll see what Im talking about, if you cant see it in this pic.

Author's Note - Doesn't matter if you offset the final fiber plate or not - you'll have a perfectly functional clutch either way...

Once you get the clutch plates back in there, put the drive plate back on, and put in the springs, retainers, and allens. Torque value for this, again, is tight. Just be careful not to strip these things out, due to overtightening. Dont be a He-Man, and crank them til they strip. When they stop turning, youre good!

Get the cover back on there, put the right bolts in the right places, and tighten the cover down. If you apply a light coat of oil to the gasket surface, itll be more resistant to tearing the next time youre in here.

Here's the difference between the first fiber plate and all the others - these are from the stock clutch. First plate on the left, all the others look like the one on the right.

The friction pads are different on them, too.

The reason that first plate (inboard plate) is different is because it's an anti-chatter plate. It's designed to slip a little without causing any damage to the rest of the clutchpack and hardware. If you pick up a clutchpack that has all friction plates the same, don't hesitate to put it in. On hard launches, it won't have the "small slip" that the stock clutchpack has, but it is a little more harsh on the driven parts.

Reconnect the lower radiator hose, fill up the oil and coolant, and put the rear brake pedal back on. Intentionally slip the clutch a little when you first fire the bike it will rid the clutch fiber plates of excess oil from the soaking. Go ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:53 PM
:::Z-250 Rider:::

not a sticky?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
:::Mini LT50 Rider:::

hi im new to atvs and i recently bought a 06 kfx 400 my clutch slips like crazy and its just not even fun to ride i bought a heavy duty clutch i just wanted to know if this is how to install it for me aswelll? even tho its an 06 kfx 400? thanks again

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
:::Official Spammer:::

Send a message via AIM to drnez
Yes, this will work with all year KFX400, LTZ400, and DVX400.

--
Frank L.
Race Promoter - Public Relations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwaition91 View Post
hi im new to atvs and i recently bought a 06 kfx 400 my clutch slips like crazy and its just not even fun to ride i bought a heavy duty clutch i just wanted to know if this is how to install it for me aswelll? even tho its an 06 kfx 400? thanks again
Are you sure your cable is adjusted correctly?

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
:::Rookie Rider:::

i just did my cam chain and now that i see this ''how to'' i dont remember if i off set my last fiber plate.should i take it apart or should i take a chance and let it go.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
:::Get a life! You're over 5000 posts:::

Send a message via MSN to camaro1976
Did you finish reading it? It doesn't matter either way

BUICK BROTHER

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
:::Rookie Rider:::

hey the way i see it is a second or third opinion ain't gonna hurt.That's All
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Forum Search Police Chief

Garage
2nd opinion-it doesn't matter

2005 Z-400 Mine (AKA "WHITE LIGHTNING")

2011 QOTM

2004 Z-400 Brad'Z
October 2011 QOTM

Chenowth 2 seat Ecotec Powered Mid Travel Buggy

Sponsors: Coors Light.............I sponsor them
!

Life is tough...........it's tougher if you're stupid.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnez View Post
Yes, this will work with all year KFX400, LTZ400, and DVX400.
thanks awsome! got a new clutch should be in on thursday and ill start soaking them in the oil and hopfully have it in friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spize909 View Post
Are you sure your cable is adjusted correctly?

and yeah we tried to adjust it but when i rejetted it we checked it out and its in bad shape i already bought a new one
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Make sure you're not using an oil with friction modifiers in it.

--
Frank L.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Make sure you're not using an oil with friction modifiers in it.

i was just going to go to the dealership and get oil there? and an aftermarket clutch kit will fit right? im new to this and hurting with money and doing it myself just dont want to run into any problems
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Any oil designed for use with wet clutches will work. However, using the wrong type of synthetic oil can cause your clutch to slip.

--
Frank L.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Any oil designed for use with wet clutches will work. However, using the wrong type of synthetic oil can cause your clutch to slip.

ok cool should be doing this friday so ill let you guys know how it went thanks again for all the help idk what id do with out this forum!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM

oh and one more thing how do i adjust the clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page