Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 ltz 400 that I parked in the fall. When I recently tried starting it it would turn over but not start. It has spark, I cleaned the carb and changed the fuel and still nothing. I thought it might be a sticking valve so I replaced the valves and also installed a shim kit. The timing and starting gears also are all ok. I don’t know where to go with it next...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not doubting you. But are you sure it’s in time? Like set at tdc and valves set correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,808 Posts
Time for some testing to determine the cause. Every engine needs spark, fuel, and compression.

Spark is easy to test.
Compression is easy to test.
Fuel is tricky, but there are things you can verify, like taking a fuel sample, and testing it for water contamination.

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove all the jets and verify that you could see through them? I see people miss the pilot jet, and it's the most frequent one to get plugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time for some testing to determine the cause. Every engine needs spark, fuel, and compression.

Spark is easy to test.
Compression is easy to test.
Fuel is tricky, but there are things you can verify, like taking a fuel sample, and testing it for water contamination.

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove all the jets and verify that you could see through them? I see people miss the pilot jet, and it's the most frequent one to get plugged.
Yes all parts are clean and the cylinder in getting fuel

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
If you have good fuel and spark, then I would suspect valves or compression. Since you changed the valves (assuming they are shimmed correctly), I’d do a compression test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts