Suzuki Central Forum banner

03 z400, No spark.

10K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  jetmech25 
#1 ·
I'm not getting spark to my plug. I replaced the coil, and nothing. I tested continuity from CDI plug to coil, no issues. Could there be an issue with my CDI? How do I test to see if the CDI is functioning properly?

FYI: The quad sat for 8 years untouched. It ran fine just before putting it away.

#2 ·
No reliable way to test the CDI except swapping with a known good one. Stator resistance checked?

#4 ·
Try the resistance checks in the manual. I’m sure you can do a search and find the specs here if you don’t have one.

#6 ·
Courtesy of YouTube:

#8 ·
That’s within specs then. Checked for battery voltage at CDI between B/O and B/W wire? The other resistance checks for coil and pickup coil could also be out. The peak voltage test needs an adapter that most don’t have, so a shop may be required if you can’t find anything else wrong.

#9 ·
I tested b/o and b/w. Didnt get anything from b/w. But I also checked voltage instead of ohms. I checked the pick up coil and got 0 ohms. I opened the case and found the the blue and green wires running to the pick up coil were exposed. I tested the areas where the wires were exposed and still no ohms. Could a bad pick up coil cause it to not spark?

#11 ·
I don’t have the wiring diagram in front of me, but I believe b/w is ground. That exposed area may have been your problem if they were grounded out. Should have gotten the same ohms you got at the plug. Whatever isn’t testing within limits is a possibility, including all of them. Stator grounding out could fry all of it, or simply insulating the stator wires might fix it if nothing failed yet.

Reactions: Chris03z400
#13 ·
If it looks ok, put it back and try it. Might get lucky. Never seems to work for me, though.😂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.