Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve been rebuilding the whole quad. And finally got it back together. Carb has been cleaned. Put a New air filter in it. Recently reshimmed the valves. Has a new throttle and throttle cable. It’ll crank and start right up. It’ll idle just fine at 1st no issues but after about a minute of idling the revs randomly go up. And if you hit the throttle it’ll bog down. And the idle adjust does nothing to it. Also if you let it continue to idle it’ll just die on its own. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
Your throttle cable may be binding, they are sensitive to how they are run under the tank. Also, try to richen it up with the fuel screw. How may turns out are you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How exactly should the cable be ran under the tank? And I didn’t think it could be that cause I ran it on idle never touched the throttle and revs went up in its own. The fuel mixture is about 2 3/4 turns out rn
Your throttle cable may be binding, they are sensitive to how they are run under the tank. Also, try to richen it up with the fuel screw. How may turns out are you?

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
You may also have a vacuum leak, usually around the carb-to-head boot. Spray some carb cleaner on the outside of the carb and head boot and see if it changes your idle. That will tell you if you have an air leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I’ll try that out and see what it’ll do. What should I do if there is a vacuum leak? Replace the boot?
You may also have a vacuum leak, usually around the carb-to-head boot. Spray some carb cleaner on the outside of the carb and head boot and see if it changes your idle. That will tell you if you have an air leak.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
If that’s what it is, then you’ll have to figure out exactly where it’s coming from. If it’s a boot, some black rtv will probably fix it, tighten a clamp, etc. Could be a lot of things. Even the little o-ring under the diaphragm cap (off to the side) can fall out during assembly and cause vacuum problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
How exactly should the cable be ran under the tank? And I didn’t think it could be that cause I ran it on idle never touched the throttle and revs went up in its own. The fuel mixture is about 2 3/4 turns out
It should be run so there is slack at the carb, with the handlebars in any position. There are hangers under the frame rail that indicate the path, mostly. .At 2 3/4 turns it should be getting a good amount of fuel. Should go 3 max, but I doubt that will compensate for your condition. Need to find it like Jet suggested..

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
If you want to rule out the cable, disconnect it and start the engine to see if it still climbs. Rev it by hand a few times to simulate riding and see if it idles normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s not vacuum leak. At least not at the boots for carb. I’ll have to check the o ring you’re talking about
If that’s what it is, then you’ll have to figure out exactly where it’s coming from. If it’s a boot, some black rtv will probably fix it, tighten a clamp, etc. Could be a lot of things. Even the little o-ring under the diaphragm cap (off to the side) can fall out during assembly and cause vacuum problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts