Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here. I got a used 04 LTZ 400 that needed “a Clutch adjustment and won’t run” and also had some broken parts. After inspection there was no clutch assembly installed and also the sprocket, nut and key on the crank shaft were MIA. Therefore he timing chain sprocket was freewheeling when I turned over the engine when i bought it. Now I am a bit worried about the valves getting bend. The timing on the head was on OT when I opened the cover and hopefully I the valves didn't move down against the spring. what are your thoughts. Just do a compression test?

Also since I am already deep into this, I am considering a total rebuild of the cylinder and valves. The bike is for my daughter to put around camp, nothing fancy needed. What would you guys recommend for a rebuild kit?

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
If the sprocket on the right side of the crank was missing, then they shouldn’t have moved if you cranked it. Just replace them and test the compression. You may not need to rebuild it.
If you decide to anyway, Cylinder Works is a decent kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked lash today:
In Left 0.08” (0.203mm) Right 0.08 (0.202mm)

Out Left 0.10 (0.254mm) Right 0.09 (0.229mm)

Do I shoot for Middle Lash spec on In and out or min and max?
From what I gather specs are 0.1mm-0.2mm inlet and 0.2mm-0.3mm exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
Anywhere within specs is good, but aiming for the higher end of the spectrum will last longer in theory. I’d say yours are fine, even with the intakes a little too big.

Reactions: Buexe Burgin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question, the quad came with a K&N air filter and no lid on the air box. Are the stock jets fine with that set up? While reading through posts I see people using a few different jets with what looks like the same set up as mine. 🤷‍♂️
I am planing on rebuilding the Carb tonight while I wait for the other parts to show up and I am a big believer in doing things right the first time 😜

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
With the aftermarket filter and no lid, you’ll need a bigger pilot (25). The rest would depend on other factors, like exhaust, elevation, any other mods, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,567 Posts
You will need to go up a few sizes for the main jet if you run with no lid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The jets I found in the carb are 160/60/25. We usually ride close to sea level.
Looks like there is an aftermarket pipe on it as well.((Big Gun Race Series)

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
I’d say that’s about right.

Reactions: Buexe Burgin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got some of my parts today and was able to do a pressure test. Poured oil down the cylinder and turned it over to get excess oil out. Connected the tester and got ~100. Took it off and poured a little more oil, connected the tester without blowing it out and got ~140.
Conventional wisdom would tell me to check the rings. Or is there a chance the rings will start doing their job if I get it running since it hasn’t been ran in at least 5 years?
PS: I am a bit hesitant to keep cranking/ checking again because there is no oil in the bike and if there is some left the oil pump is not spinning because the clutch is not installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts