Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new sprocket today. When I started installing it I noticed it's the wrong one. Dealer said its the sprocket for the DRZ. Has anyone else installed a 13 yet. Where did you get it? I also over torqued the bolt that holds the sprocket on and broke it. Now I'll probably be waiting a week for a new bolt. Not a good day. :cry:

·
Registered
142 Posts
take the good one out and go to the local hardware. They will have one of the same size although wrench size will most likely be 1mm different, that wont matter. get the highest grade they have. If they dont have it its not a very good store. There shouldnt be really any load on the bolt so you dont need to tighten it way down. I put blue or red locktite on my sproket bolts.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
DRZ? Is that the dirt bike? If so, then you'll also need the retaining clip required for the motorcycle sprocket to work. That's what I heard anyhow. Have yet to change mine, not sure if I wanna yet. I know I may want the taller gearing when I get s'more power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't need the retaining bolts and bracket when you change sprockets. Just pick up a 7/8" C-clip and your all set. The 13 tooth is great for the woods. I can hit the gas mid way through 3rd gear and bring the front right up.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
14 tooth front stock
40 tooth rear stock
pretty sure anyhow.
I wanna change mine too, but I know if I do, I'll be getting some extra power and may want the gearing back since it'll probably handle it then So tough is life. hehehe

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed my gearing because I ride in extremely technical trails. The Raptors and 400ex's also have to regear for where we ride at. It's not just tight woods but hillsides and ledgerock.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket on my Z which is the exact same as the Quadracer. I ordered it from Rocky Mountain ATV and they should have plenty in stock. Thought I would let you know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buddah, do you run an aftermarket swingarm skid? Did you have any clearance problems with the bigger rear sprocket?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you drop 1 tooth in the front that is equivelant to adding 3 teeth to the rear.

We will be trying 13's also. Yeah...just need the C-Clip is what I hear.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am running the stock skid plate with no clearence problems with the larger sprocket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going to 15 tooth front sprocket

My brother is having trouble keeping the front end down while hill climbing on his new z-400. He put 400 EX shocks on the front to lowered it about 1.5 inches but has not helped much. We were thinking about increasing the counter sprocket to 15 T since the Z has so much bottom end torque. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. I have already suggest to him 1) he learn to ride, 2) little clutch/little gas, but he has not caught on yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What mods did your brother make to get all that bottom end torque? I want some of that..

·
Registered
8 Posts
bottom end

All my brother has done is put on the yoshi pipe/rejet, and remove the snorkle off the air box. I keep seeing post where people are going to 14 T front sprocket. I can not imagine him doing this to his since we can't keep the front end on the ground.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: bottom end

All my brother has done is put on the yoshi pipe/rejet, and remove the snorkle off the air box. I keep seeing post where people are going to 14 T front sprocket. I can not imagine him doing this to his since we can't keep the front end on the ground.[/b]
The 14T is stock, a lot of people are going down to a 13T. Your brother could gear up but it really would not help his problem. His problem is with riding technique, not an over abundance of low end torque. Anyone can flip their quad over backwards while hill climbing, it really is not that hard. In fact, it is not that hard to do on a flat surface. He has to bend his elbows and center his weight between the front and rear. He also has to work on his clutch/throttle operation, as you stated earlier. Gearing up is only going to make the motor work harder then it has to.

There are a lot of people gearing up after they have made the same mods your brother has. They are looking for a greater top speed. Even if you ride in the open you could gear up with a stock motor an increase your top speed. I ride tight trails, technical hills and the occasional MX. I am going to gear down and leave it at 13T even after I open up the motor. I rarely ever hit 5th gear anyway. Most MX guys don't either.

·
Registered
975 Posts
By gearing down to a 13 tooth front, have any of u had to shorten up ur chain or is there enough adustment available to take up all the slack?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I looked at one the other day with a 13 and he only had to move the axle back 2 notches he said. I dont know what exactly that means as having not had to adjust mine yet but his was only back just slightly more than mine is stock. I was hoping it would actually have had to go rearwrd a little more to get free seingarm length, every little bit will help some I suppose,lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE 13T SPROCKET DO AND WOULD IT HELP ME WITH THE MODS I HAVE? I NEED SOME MORE POWER FOR THE HILL DRAGS!

·
Registered
85 Posts
A 13T front gear is not going to give you more power. It will move the power you have. A smaller sprocket will lower your top speed a little, but should help with that area between 2nd and 3rd. With the mods you have I would only gear down if you rode really tight trails or raced a really tight MX course. You should be making MORE then enough power to pull stock gearing up any hill. Shorter gearing will help with the holeshot in drag races, but will lower your top speed, slightly. I guess it would depend on the steepness of the hill and the length of the course. There is only one way to find out. Buy one and take it with you and test, test, test.

There is an idea that makes sense and is quite common in the snowmobile world. My snowmobile is geared for a top speed around 100MPH. Will it go that fast, not really. Do I want to go that fast, not really. If I gear down for a top speed of 80MPH my motor and clutch will not have to work so hard. It will pull like a tractor and take off like a dragster, but the top end will be slightly slower. It is a small trade off, and most people find it worth while. Lets face it, unless you are on a long smooth lake, 100MPH is too fast. I would rather climb to the top of a mountain in waist deep snow anyway.

On top of the swingarm at the back, there are little notches. You use them when you tighten the chain. I think they are there to keep the swingarm and axle aligned. I should be getting the 13T sprocket soon and I will keep you posted. Has anyone had to tighten their chain? Mine seems pretty good still, little to no stretch and it has been ridden hard!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Snowdog,
Where did you order your 13T? Can you post the part#'s of everything thats needed. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts