Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '03 kfx. had it since she was delivered. i love her. i put her in storage a couple years ago due to some issues. 1st off when i go to put it into 1st gear it grinds. dosnt sound good and dosnt move! im thinkin 1st gear is wiped right out. all the other gears work great. i have a 13t sprocket and i was taking off in 2nd gear without riding the clutch too much. i was just wondering how hard it would be to pull the transmission apart and fix it. im mechanicaly inclined. i work on diesel trucks by day. but is there anyone whos pulled them apart before that can shed some light on if this is something i can get into or send to a professional? i like to do all my own work.
after i split up with my girfriend a few months back i decided that its time to pull out my first love.. my bike. and give her the much needed attention she deserves but if screwing with this transmission is gonna be too much of a headach im gonna either 1. go up a couple teeth in the rear sprocket to compensate for no 1st gear and if that isnt suitable do a motor swap. i believe 'anything worth doing is worth doing right' and seems how i love this bike so much i just would love to put a gsxr 750 or 1000 motor. but thats last case scenerio. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated comrads

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am not sure how hard it is to do. I see a good bit of transmissions on here for sale every now and then so it can't be that hard to take apart.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It's pretty complicated.. Not something I would attempt unless you are very mechanically inclined and know a lot about motorcycle engines

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I did mine with a manual, and I'm an electrician! It's not bad, the tranny will not fall apart, it's locked on 2 shafts. The biggest thing in there is the shift forks, mine fell apart when the halves came apart, and with the manual I got it back together pretty easy. I bought a case tool, crank installer, and clutch holder from RM for about $100. It made it a little smoother. I would highly suggest replacing the crank with a +4 or standard HR crank and crank bearings. It's an 03, your due for one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the manual. ive been looking over it pretty good. i think im gonna attempt it. as far as replacing the crank bearings. that sounds like good preventive mantainence. but i wouldnt think the crank would be shot? the bikes been parked for a couple years and i always changed my oil and filter between 20-25 hours of riding. is there a common problem with the cranks wearing out?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't think it's a common problem but I've seen others on here suggest changing it on the 03 just because that's a lot of years and it's already in your hand. Hours and how hard you ride will make a difference also. I would but that's just me, sometimes I go overboard! I would see what the other guys here think, I don't want to mislead you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts