Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all ! Looking for some Guidence. I have a 2003 LTZ 400 I am trying to get going. It will not start with the button. I purchased the manual and have been working on it for multiple days now and can of get the electric start/button to start the bike. The battery is reading good voltage and if I jump the starter solenoid it starts. I have replaced the start switch assembly, Neutral switch , main harness and starter solenoid (does not even click )with no luck. I don’t know what there is left. Is there grounds or something else that could be causing this? Could a shorted stator be causing it? I am stuck at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
Pull the clutch in? Has the wiring on the quad been messed with? You need to pull in the clutch to start it unless that has been bypassed (wires connected together).
I deleted the duplicate post in the introduction forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I apologize for posting in the wrong section . But yes I have the clutch pulled in and still nothing. The start switch assembly that was originally on it was hacked up and wires taped together so I initially thought that was the issue and purchased a used working start switch assembly online but no change .

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
is he saying it wont fire up or will not roll over ?

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will fire if I jumped the solenoid and run fine. I just cannot get it to start with the button

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
Put a meter on each side of the start switch and see if it goes from open to closed when you depress the button. If that works, then something is either wired wrong or you have a loose ground somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I’ll do that. Where are the grounds located ? I’ve checked the one at the starter mounting bolt and it’s good. Are there more ?

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe your clutch lever switch isn't working. Follow the cable and you will find a connector, jump the two terminals.
One time on mine I have to clean the start button with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
sounds like the button isn't doing anything.
that happened on a friend of mines Z. took the button apart and found it had sand in it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have checked the button/jumped it -no change. I also jumped the clutch lever-no change. I changed the ignition switch-no change. I checked and cleaned the grounds at the coil/starter mount. Where does the black/white plug coming off the ground go to ? Could that be causing it? The only electrical component I haven’t swapped is the stator -could that even cause this ? I’m stumped

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
I don’t think the stator would cause it. I have seen the battery ground wire being loose or corroded so bad that it only had a few strands of wire left still connected cause that problem. Passes continuity test, but too much resistance to crank the starter.

I’m out of ideas without at least seeing it in a vid or being there. Which black/white plug are you referring to? Pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the black/white wire coming off the battery is what I’m referring to. I have attached a pic . Is there anyway to by pass the neutral safety switch ? Anyway there could be a mechanical issue with the pins/springs I seen when I replaced the sensor ? Also this probably sounds stupid but would not having a headlight plugged in cause it to not start cause it was missing when I got the bike?

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I don’t remember seeing that wire connected to the battery.

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts
When you say you jump the solenoid, I'm assuming that you crossed the large wires. Have you tried jumping the small wire? The yellow/black is the wire that engages the start solenoid. It gets a positive from the button to engage the solenoid. Try jumping a positive to the yellow black. You may just have a bad solenoid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts