Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 ltz 400 with a blown up top end. I recently purchased a 2007 ltz 400 that has a wrecked frame. Would I be able to put that 2007 motor in the 03. Are they the same motor? Is there any thing else I would have to modify?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes bolt up and go, CDI Boxes are different along with the connectors. So try and get the harness and CDI.

·
Registered
4 4wd Honda fourtrax 300, 2 2wd Honda fourtrax 300, 96 Suzuki king quad 300 4x4, 2004 dvx 400,
60 Posts
I may be interested in your blown engine if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
4 4wd Honda fourtrax 300, 2 2wd Honda fourtrax 300, 96 Suzuki king quad 300 4x4, 2004 dvx 400,
60 Posts
My case is cracked around the shifter and I am looking for a bottom end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes bolt up and go, CDI Boxes are different along with the connectors. So try and get the harness and CDI.
So would I have to change the wiring harnesses for it to run then and if I did that would that wiring harness work with the 2003 electrical components like the fan and radiator and headlights and stuff? Or something would I have to change all those parts too? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, I found another one. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
397 Posts
CDI Is the only difference I believe, And 05 and up has a TPS on the Carb . You can run the 03 CDI and carb with 03 harness, Or run the 07 Motot with 07 Carb and CDI and harness. the Motor it self is the same. The 07 Motor has slightly different Cam specs then the 03 I believe but that will not effect anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically your saying the CDI and carb and wiring harness all need to be matching years but for example I could run an 07 motor with the 03 carb and 03 CDI and 03 harness because the 03 and 07 motors are identical. Correct?

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
So basically your saying the CDI and carb and wiring harness all need to be matching years but for example I could run an 07 motor with the 03 carb and 03 CDI and 03 harness because the 03 and 07 motors are identical. Correct?
Carbs don't even need to be matching, the TPS has so little effect. Just get the cdi figured out, you should be good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I guess I am an idiot for not being able to figure this out but every reply people keep saying that the Cdi is the only difference and that needs to match and all that. So my question is can I run an 07 motor with a 03 Cdi and 03 harness? I understand the carb doesn’t matter. I have an 07 motor I want to bolt on to my 03 quad with all 03 components. I belive that should work based on what I’ve read and honestly I have no idea how the Cdi even is relevant if the wiring harness will connect to the engine? I appreciate the help from everyone in the forum I just can’t get it all straight in my head.

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
if you are running all the 03 electricals, you should be good. Only thing you might find different is the connector from the pickup coil, but I can't confirm or deny that.

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
The motor has it's electrics under the the left side cover. The magneto sends a pulse up through the top of the case to the wiring harness. One connector is for the ignition, the other is for lighting. Magneto.jpg
You can check on RMATV oem parts, and compare the two years, to see if they are the same part number or not.
I dont think the connector goes straight to the cdi, it should really go to the rectifier to convert the ac power to dc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The TPS has little effect, I just prefer to use it if its on the carb, Bolt up the 07 motor and use the rest of the 03 stuff. Don't get confused.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts